Why study Law? (other than the potential salary!) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rock n Roll Eyes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
hey,

Though I know of many reasons, what are the main and best reasons for studying Law?

Personal statement kind of stuff, please

thanks
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by phil1988)
hey,

Though I know of many reasons, what are the main and best reasons for studying Law?

Personal statement kind of stuff, please

thanks
A passion for justice? An enthusiasm for carefully reasoned logical argument?
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
A passion for justice? An enthusiasm for carefully reasoned logical argument?
I dont know if you should mention 'a passion for justice' as it is well documented that if the legal system is anything, it is not a beacon of justice! Well, thats what the lecturers will tell you anyway.
ericsimo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It is quite simple really. Lawyers have real ultimate power. Lawyers Uber-Alles!

Law is one of the most fascinating subjects to study. I'm not sure how a Law degree works in the UK, but in the USA, one goes to law school generally after they have done 4 years and graduated w/ a Bachelor's degree. Law students in the states are required to study all types of law, some very interesting like International Law, and some boring (to me at least) like Contract Law. All in all, with a Law degree, you will have a better understanding of the rules that govern society, and you will become a more articulate and impassioned thinker/speaker.
alocin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This all looks like some good blurb:

More importantly, a law degree is one of the most well-respected undergraduate qualifications. It opens up a vista of career opportunities quite apart from the practice of law. This is because the study of law improves powers of reasoning, clarity of thought and the ability to analyse and express complicated ideas. Such skills are in demand in a wide variety of areas including commerce and industry, social services, politics, the media and the upper echelons of the public services.

Law is a fascinating subject and worth studying for its own sake. The study of law will not only teach you to think more clearly and rationally, it will also teach you much about your fellow human beings and the society in which you live. If you come to university to study law, you will face a completely new intellectual challenge.

Law is a popular subject because a knowledge of law increases your understanding of public affairs; its study promotes accuracy of expression and skill in argument and interpreting the written word, and gives an understanding of social values.

But how about just you like the subject, if you have had any experience of it before. I did A Level Law and I'm studying it because I liked it then, and I still do which is lucky for me. Plus the fact that Law textbooks make the best doorstops.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (63)
29.44%
No - I got the required grades (122)
57.01%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (29)
13.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise