The Student Room Group

Advice for extra reading

Going into year 13 and I've decided that I want to study geography and/or history at uni. But as everyone says you need to do reading outside of your studies, so can anyone advise me as to what to read in terms of geography and history? Books, newspapers, articles, magazines, auto/biographies etc? Anything would be much appreciated!:smile:
I'm also applying to do geography! To be honest, I don't think I've got the strongest application, but my extra reading includes obvious magazines like National Geographic and the Geography Review A level magazine, a book called 'The Weather Makers' and a book on globalisation which I can't quite remember the name of right now! I think the important thing though is to not just list what you've read but also discuss it, why you read it etc.

I'm guessing if you're interested in history you are thinking of human geography? Where are you thinking of applying to? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by nomdeplumeX2
I'm also applying to do geography! To be honest, I don't think I've got the strongest application, but my extra reading includes obvious magazines like National Geographic and the Geography Review A level magazine, a book called 'The Weather Makers' and a book on globalisation which I can't quite remember the name of right now! I think the important thing though is to not just list what you've read but also discuss it, why you read it etc.

I'm guessing if you're interested in history you are thinking of human geography? Where are you thinking of applying to? :smile:

Tbh I haven't read in detail about books outside my studies so I will definitely use this books and magazines! And yeah will be looking for human geography and/or modern history, maybe a dual course? I've got a few ideas, including Leeds, Keele, Birmingham, UEA, KCL and Lancaster. What about you?
Original post by River227
Going into year 13 and I've decided that I want to study geography and/or history at uni. But as everyone says you need to do reading outside of your studies, so can anyone advise me as to what to read in terms of geography and history? Books, newspapers, articles, magazines, auto/biographies etc? Anything would be much appreciated!:smile:

It depends why you are asking.

If this is for your personal statement and interviews, then don't waste your time reading books. Instead, you should read journals. These are better as they contain articles on news and important things happening within the field. You can state in your personal statement that you are interested in X area of geography/history after reading it in Y journal.

You really don't want to go in to loads of detail about books you've read in your personal statement. That space is for writing 'why that subject' basically. What made you want to do that subject what do you hope to achieve. You would also write in there about EC's etc, so join something to do with history or geography outside of college/school too.
Tbh I haven't read in detail about books outside my studies so I will definitely use this books and magazines! And yeah will be looking for human geography and/or modern history, maybe a dual course? I've got a few ideas, including Leeds, Keele, Birmingham, UEA, KCL and Lancaster. What about you?

Hopefully Edinburgh or Glasgow, as a wildcard maybe even Durham :smile:

Personally, I'm not a massive reader (bad for university I know!) but I've really enjoyed watching a few TED talks online, which are really interesting! There are also a few clips of talks and debates on the RGS website. Good luck with your application!!

Also, there are generally some interesting articles in the Guardian I find. They also don't have a pay wall on their website which is great.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Knalchemist
It depends why you are asking.

If this is for your personal statement and interviews, then don't waste your time reading books. Instead, you should read journals. These are better as they contain articles on news and important things happening within the field. You can state in your personal statement that you are interested in X area of geography/history after reading it in Y journal.

You really don't want to go in to loads of detail about books you've read in your personal statement. That space is for writing 'why that subject' basically. What made you want to do that subject what do you hope to achieve. You would also write in there about EC's etc, so join something to do with history or geography outside of college/school too.

Do you know any links to journals then and where to find them? Isn't it better to be safe then sorry and just mention- not advance upon greatly - about books you've read, to show you are enthusiast, and also talk about journals? And what are EC's sorry? :confused: I don't know how I would fit it all around my schooling times as I have Saturday school...
Reply 6
Hopefully Edinburgh or Glasgow, as a wildcard maybe even Durham :smile:

Personally, I'm not a massive reader (bad for university I know!) but I've really enjoyed watching a few TED talks online, which are really interesting! There are also a few clips of talks and debates on the RGS website. Good luck with your application!!

Also, there are generally some interesting articles in the Guardian I find. They also don't have a pay wall on their website which is great.

What are you predicted then? Or hope to achieve? Yeah same here, I've seen some TED talks and they are much more interesting then books, would uni's regard them as extra reading? Okay this is all good info which I'll take in thanks!:smile:
What are you predicted then? Or hope to achieve? Yeah same here, I've seen some TED talks and they are much more interesting then books, would uni's regard them as extra reading? Okay this is all good info which I'll take in thanks!:smile:

They would definitely take them to show you are interested in the subject because it is something you are doing independently from school.

Just things like this are good to read really http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2013/aug/23/sudan-floods-worst-25-years

Hopefully I will be predicted A*AA if I grovel enough to my geography teacher! If not then hopefully AAA cos that's what I got for the AS I'm carry on. You?
Reply 8
They would definitely take them to show you are interested in the subject because it is something you are doing independently from school.

Just things like this are good to read really http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2013/aug/23/sudan-floods-worst-25-years

Hopefully I will be predicted A*AA if I grovel enough to my geography teacher! If not then hopefully AAA cos that's what I got for the AS I'm carry on. You?

Thank you. Are you more into physical or human geography? That's amazing! Hopefully AAB or ABB. I messed up my AS economics bad, which was what I was hoping to take as my third A2 but that's a different concern which I need help on aha
Thank you. Are you more into physical or human geography? That's amazing! Hopefully AAB or ABB. I messed up my AS economics bad, which was what I was hoping to take as my third A2 but that's a different concern which I need help on aha

Definitely human :smile: It sounds like we do pretty similar subjects then, I also do economics and history! What is your fourth AS?
Do you know any links to journals then and where to find them? Isn't it better to be safe then sorry and just mention- not advance upon greatly - about books you've read, to show you are enthusiast, and also talk about journals? And what are EC's sorry? :confused: I don't know how I would fit it all around my schooling times as I have Saturday school...

EC's are extra curricular activities. So perhaps a history or geography club, or a sport you play or something to do with Music etc.

It depends how you will mention them in your personal statement. Simply saying "I have read A,B,C and D in preparation for the degree" is pointless.

You should write why you want to do the degree, then write one sentence like "I am particularly interested in learning about X, after reading [this article] in [this journal]". And that is it. Simply listing loads of books you've read is more likely to hinder your application.
Reply 11
Definitely human :smile: It sounds like we do pretty similar subjects then, I also do economics and history! What is your fourth AS?

Yes definitely :smile: I also did maths but literally failed it (U) :frown: so yeah aha, you?
Reply 12
Original post by Knalchemist
EC's are extra curricular activities. So perhaps a history or geography club, or a sport you play or something to do with Music etc.

It depends how you will mention them in your personal statement. Simply saying "I have read A,B,C and D in preparation for the degree" is pointless.

You should write why you want to do the degree, then write one sentence like "I am particularly interested in learning about X, after reading [this article] in [this journal]". And that is it. Simply listing loads of books you've read is more likely to hinder your application.

Okay. If I elaborate on saying what I got from A B C etc, would that help? That's helpful thank you :smile:
Yes definitely :smile: I also did maths but literally failed it (U) :frown: so yeah aha, you?

I did biology, which I did well in (B) but I just found it majorly boring! Hence why I am going human hahaha!
Reply 14
I did biology, which I did well in (B) but I just found it majorly boring! Hence why I am going human hahaha!

Fair enough ahah! I did much better in my human paper then my physical paper as well.
Fair enough ahah! I did much better in my human paper then my physical paper as well.

We just have one massive paper for both so I have no idea which I did better in! I wish we had two separate ones..
Reply 16
We just have one massive paper for both so I have no idea which I did better in! I wish we had two separate ones..

I got an A in human and a D in physical so that would be C I think in overall :/ Just made it really hard for myself ahah
Okay. If I elaborate on saying what I got from A B C etc, would that help? That's helpful thank you :smile:

I don't believe so. What could you possibly write?

The important thing is to realise that your PS needs to show admission tutors why you want to study that degree, and what you have done to show you're committed to it. Simply writing you read some books is nothing. However, writing something small about current issues shows you are interested in the subject, as you're getting involved with recent issues.

The thing is that university lecturers do not recommend students read text books at degree level etc prior to starting, as you could read things out of context. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad to read before going, however you need to read the correct things.

Articles would serve you much better as you can write something small about what you have read (especially with current issues!) and write a tiny sentence about whether you agree or not. This is why text books aren't recommended, but journals are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending