The Student Room Group

Concerns about GCSE grades

Hi TSR.

I've just completed my GCSEs and recieved my results this morning. They are as follows:
- Maths: A*
- Physics: A*
- Chemistry: A*
- Biology: A*
- Geography: A*
- Business Studies: A*
- Religious Education: A
- English Literature: A
- English Language: A
- French: B
- ICT: I did DiDA, and although I was expecting a clear-cut Distinction, I've recieved a Credit. I have emailed my teacher about this. Hoping that it gets fixed.

I go to a grammar school and so the average grades for an intelligent person (I consider myself in this group) is 7 A*s or more. Overall, I'm fairly disappointed with my results, as I was hoping for at least 8 or 9.

I also want to mention that when I mention universities, I am refering to the top ones such as Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL...

Okay first question: Does the ICT count as a GCSE? I am told that it is equivalent to a GCSE, but I want to know whether this will count to universities.

Secondly, if we don't include ICT, are my results good enough to be considered at top universities? If my A-levels meet the requirements for the course I want to do, would my GCSEs compliment that?

And lastly, would it be worth it to get a remark or do a retake of RE or English Language as I was only a few marks off of an A* in both. In RE, I was 2 marks off in 2 exams, and 4 marks off in the the other one, but got an A* in one of them. In English Language, I think that you needed 180 in total to get an A*, but I got 174 (so disappointed ).

Thanks again TSR people, love you :h:

(PS: I posted this thread in the GCSEs forum, but I don't know how to move it so I've posted it again here, I hope that's okay. And sorry if I sound snobby, I tried to be humble :frown:)
Personally in my humble opinion you have done fine and have obtained excellent results :smile: so to your question firstly i'm pretty sure the IT will count not as a GCSE but as a Qualification it will be noted. Secondly I'm sure it will compliment the a-level results as long as you chose a degree relevant with the best results you achieved. Then with the retake question is it worth? Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Pictraz
Hi TSR.

I've just completed my GCSEs and recieved my results this morning. They are as follows:
- ICT: I did DiDA, and although I was expecting a clear-cut Distinction, I've recieved a Credit. I have emailed my teacher about this. Hoping that it gets fixed.

I go to a grammar school and so the average grades for an intelligent person (I consider myself in this group) is 7 A*s or more. Overall, I'm fairly disappointed with my results, as I was hoping for at least 8 or 9.

I also want to mention that when I mention universities, I am refering to the top ones such as Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL...

Okay first question: Does the ICT count as a GCSE? I am told that it is equivalent to a GCSE, but I want to know whether this will count to universities.

Secondly, if we don't include ICT, are my results good enough to be considered at top universities? If my A-levels meet the requirements for the course I want to do, would my GCSEs compliment that?

And lastly, would it be worth it to get a remark or do a retake of RE or English Language as I was only a few marks off of an A* in both. In RE, I was 2 marks off in 2 exams, and 4 marks off in the the other one, but got an A* in one of them. In English Language, I think that you needed 180 in total to get an A*, but I got 174 (so disappointed ).

(PS: I posted this thread in the GCSEs forum, but I don't know how to move it so I've posted it again here, I hope that's okay. And sorry if I sound snobby, I tried to be humble :frown:)

Try the remarks if you're really bothered about it, but I really wouldn't waste your time doing a resit when you have excellent results and could be getting on with your A levels/further study.
Reply 3
Original post by Pictraz
Hi TSR.

You're GCSEs are great, and will get you into most unis, umm maybe oxford might be a bit sceptical but Cambridge wont be.
However your GCSEs arent the problem your A levels are...
Forget about your GCSEs there safe, now workas hard as possible on your A level subjects, the ammount of my friends who got better grades then you at GCSE and then go onto get BCCC at A level are alot.
Dont keep your eye off the ball and good luck
Don't retake as I doubt your GCSE grades will put you at a disadvantage when it comes to uni application, concentrate on doing really well at AS.. because you won't have a chance to do January modules you need to spend all of your time and effort on AS exams next year and you won't want GCSE retakes to distract you. Get a remark if you want to though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Okay thanks alot everyone! Really helped out. I might discuss about remarks with my subject teachers, however.
Reply 6
so it's not just me who got marked down for AiDA!! I was on a distinction (39 marks) and went down to an A (33 marks).. I feel cheated but my IT teacher said he's going to try and contest everyone in the year group's marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending