The Student Room Group

Healthcare Assistant - HCA

Hey!
Anyone know how I can get a part time job as a HCA? Considering I want to become a nurse but have no experience, I think taking a gap year to do some work as a HCA will be an invaluable experience as ill be able to see Nurses at work and get hands on experience in a hospital environment as well as supporting myself financially. However, I need some ideas on what will make my application/CV standout. I have no NHS experience and most posts ask for at least 6 months experience. Any suggestions from HCA's or anyone with knowledge on the job as to how I can secure a post? Thank you!
Reply 1
I just did a search on the job sites for care assistant roles in my local area. Got interviews at 2 places, one a care home and one a neurological unit, got offered HCA roles at both but have gone for the neuro one as will learn more there. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fifimas
I just did a search on the job sites for care assistant roles in my local area. Got interviews at 2 places, one a care home and one a neurological unit, got offered HCA roles at both but have gone for the neuro one as will learn more there. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! Did you have previous experience? Or did you apply for jobs that didn't ask for experience? Or did you apply for jobs that asked for experience, despite not having any? :smile:
Reply 3
The pilot of the year as a HCA prior to nurse training starts this year, while it's something I don't really agree with it (politics) may be good for you to get your foot in the door if they're recruiting nearby. Have a look on NHS careers and the NHS jobs site :smile:
Original post by moonkatt
The pilot of the year as a HCA prior to nurse training starts this year, while it's something I don't really agree with it (politics) may be good for you to get your foot in the door if they're recruiting nearby. Have a look on NHS careers and the NHS jobs site :smile:

So it's now compulsory to work as a HCA before starting training as a nurse? What if the course entry requirements do not ask for experience? Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by needsomeadvice12
So it's now compulsory to work as a HCA before starting training as a nurse? What if the course entry requirements do not ask for experience? Thanks for the advice :smile:

It's not compulsory yet, they're piloting the scheme in a few locations around the country. However, the vast majority of universities have expected people to have relevant experience when applying for nursing for a few years now due to the competition with people applying. I was suggesting as you want to go on and train as a nurse that it might be a good idea getting onto one of these pilots if there's one nearby.
Reply 6
Original post by needsomeadvice12
Nice! Did you have previous experience? Or did you apply for jobs that didn't ask for experience? Or did you apply for jobs that asked for experience, despite not having any? :smile:

I didn't have any experience and am currently training at the moment. It will be invaluable experience I am really enjoying it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending