English Language: A
English Literature: A
Double Science: A* A*
Sociology: A
Geography: A
Humanities: A
Art: A*
ICT: Distinction (GCSE equivalent A)

The A-levels I've applied for are Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Sociology. I plan to drop one in the second year (probably sociology) if I find taking four A-levels are too difficult.

I'm not entirely sure what I'd like to study at university which is why I've chosen facilitating subjects that give a range on options. I'm thinking of a degree in Economics, so maybe I should change Chemistry to Economics for my A-levels? However, if I then decide to take a degree in one of the sciences, I'd be screwed cause I'd only have biology... I've also considered getting a degree in pharmacy which requires one chemistry and one other science in most uni's. What do I dooooo?

p.s. the reason behind sociology is because I enjoy it... dunno if I need it really though

Thank you!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Most unis accept maths as a science I've found, it would help chemistry too. I think if you enjoy sociology you should keep it as you might be able to effortlessly do the work and not find it much of a chore.

Personally if I was you I would do those four. I only took biology at Alevel as a 'science' and regret not taking chemistry as I now want to do into a science degree, therefore I am taking it this year.

All the best :smile:
For your potential degree subjects that appears to be the best combination; Maths by itself is sufficient for an Economics degree, you aren't obligated to study Economics at A level too.
If you look on the UCAS website you will see that very few institutions actually require Economics to study economics as they prefer the classical sciences and ability to "mould" you into the perfect candidate. However, it is extremely important that you take what you enjoy (within limits) as this is what you will excel at. There is no point taking chemistry if you hate it and get a U (with your excellent GCSEs I doubt that greatly).

Another thing is that I saw you said Pharmacology is a possible option, some Russell group universities only require chemistry and another science e.g maths to study it so if you are really wanting to change and to economics maybe consider dropping biology (if school options allow)?

I hope this helps and well done on your excellent results!

Quick Reply

Latest