The Student Room Group

When did Waterloo Road start to go down hill?

hear these words all the time now a days saying the show is really bad and the show is not the same as it used to be but when did it start to become like this , when were the proper glory days of the show and can it ever be a force again?

Scroll to see replies

I'd say when Kim last left it started going down, after Mr Tyler was sacked as head. Then went worse after Chris left.

Now Tom is no longer in the new series!

I stopped watching a long time ago, personally.....
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hannah60000
I'd say when Kim last left it started going down, after Mr Tyler was sacked as head. Then went worse after Chris left.

Now Tom is no longer in the new series!

I stopped watching a long time ago, personally.....

thanks , a few people were saying it was the Scotland move that made it go down hill but for me it started to go downhill before then in mabye Series 5 to 6 really.
Original post by hbk4894
thanks , a few people were saying it was the Scotland move that made it go down hill but for me it started to go downhill before then in mabye Series 5 to 6 really.

I do not really know or follow series no. :biggrin:
Yet, i agree with you Waterloo started going downhill at least 1 or 2 series before the the Scotland move.
Reply 4
When they moved to Scotland it became terrible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say it's when Earl left (the only convincing 'bad boy' out there)
Reply 6
Original post by hannah60000
I do not really know or follow series no. :biggrin:
Yet, i agree with you Waterloo started going downhill at least 1 or 2 series before the the Scotland move.

yeah when they started changing their cast members by about 10 people each series , in the earlier series they had quite the same cast throughout but in the last couple of series in Rochdale they just kept over changing the cast plus they over did the one off episode storylines where a random characters comes into the show,.
Around when Izzie had the miscarriage, she and Tom broke up, and worst of all, she got murdered. All of those were horrible moves and I just stopped paying attention to the show after it all happened. Although, tbh, I also did stop watching when that whole love triange **** happen between Brett, Mika and Chlo.

The Kelly family's arrival picked things up a bit but then the interesting ones left and that little one was left and then the school went to Scotland and that Connor (I had a HUGE crush on him!) thing happened with that girl and this is when I got sick of it. I don't like love stories, they depress me, ESPECIALLY when the people of Waterloo Road have a go at them.

I might give the show another shot whenever it starts again. Can't say I'll watch it 'til the end, I can't remember the last season I watched attentively from beginning to end. It's just not worth it. :dontknow:
Went downhill after season 2. If they had just stopped WR entirely at the end of season two then we would have had a great, perhaps even classic drama ending with a moving tragedy. Imo S3-S8 WR = Soap, S1-S2 WR = Drama.

I mean look how genually tragic this:
[video="youtube;061e9Tnv8VI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=061e9Tnv8VI[/video]

It just seems so much more real compared to the nonsense that came after (obviously there are still some very good episodes and parts, but the general trend is down).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I think it was when Sam Kelly died.
When the Bex story line finished and those characters moved on. It's really bad now. I think it would be better for everyone if they just ended it. I caught one program of the last series and its nothing compared to what it once was. And they moved in to. 8:00 now which I think is a mistake as it dramatically changes what they can and can't show.
Reply 11
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Went downhill after season 2. If they had just stopped WR entirely at the end of season two then we would have had a great, perhaps even classic drama ending with a moving tragedy. Imo S3-S8 WR = Soap, S1-S2 WR = Drama.

I mean look how genually tragic this:
[video="youtube;061e9Tnv8VI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=061e9Tnv8VI[/video]

It just seems so much more real compared to the nonsense that came after (obviously there are still some very good episodes and parts, but the general trend is down).

ok for you , when was the last time there was a really good episode?
Original post by hbk4894
ok for you , when was the last time there was a really good episode?

There have been good episodes since S2, but part of what made the early seasons great is the inter episode connectivity. Even a standalone good episode wouldn't achieve that. However, if you insist, when Fleur died that was extremely well done and particularly moving. But really I think season 7 and on-wards has basically been a car crash, what I still really want is the drama of the first two seasons.
I'm not too sure it was ever uphill...
Omg woah I love waterloo road

Posted from TSR Mobile
I loved Seasons 1 and 2 but started getting bored during Season 3 so never bothered watching Season 4 and beyond.
Original post by MissDavies
I loved Seasons 1 and 2 but started getting bored during Season 3 so never bothered watching Season 4 and beyond.

Omg watch s4 its amazinh

Posted from TSR Mobile
When they moved it to Scotland was my personal cut off point. Up until that point it was watchable. Sambuca's death was really well done and really touched me but it just started getting ridiculous when they moved it, none of the old characters besides a few (obviously I realise that schoolchildren grow up but still) and now they've killed off Tom it just seems to be getting worse.

It's a shame because it used to be one of my favourite shows.
Just before Rachel left.
Reply 19
Original post by elitepower
Just before Rachel left.

I agree with this.

New characters is always inevitable, it is a school after all. However the storylines are becoming quite boring now and repetitive. If it isn't a death its a fire, or somebody has gone missing or its drugs. With new families it is always the underprivileged families, Kevin is a bit of a relief but why does every new child they introduce have to be a bully or have a bad past.

The lack of originality is what has brought it down, i still watch it, and yes you get the odd one off decent episode or decent character, but its becoming boring now with the same old rubbish.

Quick Reply

Latest