Oldies Dying Out? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Is this site losing it's i dunno how to put this "family" like atomosphere? I mean it seems to me it used to be a smallish group of people who respected and liked each other, but now there are all sorts of newbies, and not all of them bad of course who come in and add so many people that it is a lot harder to really have a conversation or get to know someone. On this link:http://www.uk-learning.net//index.php, up in the corner is this thing that says "welcome to ......., our newest member". I ahve been there three times today, and it has had three new names in that corner. It seems like 10 people join everyday at least. It seems like all of us oldies will be overtaken, then forgoten (hence my hall of fame idea ), I know this has been done before but i am really starting to notice it now....
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This has happened on sUK (for those who don't know it it dosn't matter) all the people I used to talk to have left and now its full of crap. Has anybody seen how low and childesh the message boards are on there lately?

The language people use on their beggars believe as well. In comparison UKL is still very high quality.
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
Is this site losing it's i dunno how to put this "family" like atomosphere? I mean it seems to me it used to be a smallish group of people who respected and liked each other, but now there are all sorts of newbies, and not all of them bad of course who come in and add so many people that it is a lot harder to really have a conversation or get to know someone. On this link:http://www.uk-learning.net//index.php, up in the corner is this thing that says "welcome to ......., our newest member". I ahve been there three times today, and it has had three new names in that corner. It seems like 10 people join everyday at least. It seems like all of us oldies will be overtaken, then forgoten (hence my hall of fame idea ), I know this has been done before but i am really starting to notice it now....
lol, its more than 10 a day!

i dunno if you qualify for 'oldie'! there isn't such a thing really!

yes it is changing but we have no control over it so we will be left behind.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)

i dunno if you qualify for 'oldie'!

Padfoot's probably a semi-oldie now. Yeah, the oldies are dying out a bit. Not many left now. It is different these days than it was before. Different atmosphere.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)

i dunno if you qualify for 'oldie'!

You do actually - To an extent.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Padfoot's probably a semi-oldie now. Yeah, the oldies are dying out a bit. Not many left now. It is different these days than it was before. Different atmosphere.
Would you say I'm an oldie?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Messageboards are always changing - oldies always feel like they're losing the "good old days" of places and that newbies are here to take over. I'm still a relative newbie here, so I can't really comment, but so far this board is generally of quite a high standard.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There just dosn't seem to be the same debates anymore. I remember the great university and class debates we used to have. That quality is now sadly lacking. The only arguments there ever seem to be now are low quality personal ones.

Its a real shame as there seems to be no good sites out there. Scallies are taking over the internet!
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Messageboards are always changing - oldies always feel like they're losing the "good old days" of places and that newbies are here to take over. I'm still a relative newbie here, so I can't really comment, but so far this board is generally of quite a high standard.

Yes, I found the conversation on smarties today very stimulating
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
There just dosn't seem to be the same debates anymore. I remember the great university and class debates we used to have. That quality is now sadly lacking. The only arguments there ever seem to be now are low quality personal ones.

Its a real shame as there seems to be no good sites out there. Scallies are taking over the internet!
I agree - The last good debate thread was the "child abuse that happens under our noses" thread.

It was very good.

What UK-L needs - Vienna95.

Come back Vienna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
true - sillyness is ok, in moderation - but there are a lot of trashy, uncooth messages/threads around
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Yes, I found the conversation on smarties today very stimulating
Shut it! Smarties are great!

Yeah, there aren't the old class arguments there used to be, but perhaps they'd just been done to death. Something new will come up.

I am not always after a huge debate, so I really quite like it here, and I still feel like there's quite a small group of people to relate to.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Shut it! Smarties are great!
Nestle = bad
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes true I guess there is only so many times you can do "are a lvels gettin' easia coz i failed dem all" type threads.

At least there are still plenty of good quality posters around.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes true I guess there is only so many times you can do "are a lvels gettin' easia coz i failed dem all" type threads.

Such as?
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

That P3 thread after last year's exam would beat them all!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *reasoning*)
Such as?
You, some of the mods, I can't think of any names because I think most people are quite good. There is only a few idiots bringing the tone of this place down a bit.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You, some of the mods, I can't think of any names because I think most people are quite good. There is only a few idiots bringing the tone of this place down a bit.
Hey, what about me!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Hey, what about me!
hehe yep you are good poster too.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Bono I just saw you signiture and it made me laugh some what. Especialy the IQ bit.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (212)
12.76%
Excited (148)
8.9%
Worried (302)
18.17%
Terrified (374)
22.5%
Meh (151)
9.09%
Confused (36)
2.17%