The Student Room Group

Is google docs good for university essays?

Hello, I was wondering if google docs/ presentation tools will be good for university as I did my History A-Level coursework on google docs with footnotes and a bibliography. Or do I have to buy Microsoft office for university essays and work?
Reply 1
Original post by Darksider
Hello, I was wondering if google docs/ presentation tools will be good for university as I did my History A-Level coursework on google docs with footnotes and a bibliography. Or do I have to buy Microsoft office for university essays and work?

I've used Google Docs for university work for 3 years so far, and it's been absolutely fine; it comes with the distinct advantage of being cloud stored with offline use :smile:

Presentations I tend to use Prezi mind. Have to be careful not to make people see-sick by going over the top with zooming and swooping, but other than that, it makes for much more fun presentations! :smile:
Reply 2

I'd say just buy Office, if your internet connection is dodgy and you're rushing to finish an essay before the deadline it could turn into a nightmare. http://www.microsofthup.com/hupuk/home.aspx?culture=en-GB is a good site to buy from, just £8.95 is such good value.
Reply 3

I only got one issue, its very limited in some aspects, it may be because I have always used word.........your uni will have office on their computer systems so you could just switch between the two.
Reply 4
Original post by cactussed
I'd say just buy Office, if your internet connection is dodgy and you're rushing to finish an essay before the deadline it could turn into a nightmare. http://www.microsofthup.com/hupuk/home.aspx?culture=en-GB is a good site to buy from, just £8.95 is such good value.

The £8.95 deal advertised relies on you working for a company participating in the Home Use Programme scheme.

Google Docs supports full offline use, so when you're editing your documents, they'll have been synced the last time they were edited anyway. It's incredibly useful for train journeys for example, where I've had virtually no signal for an hour, or it's been on/off and the Internet connection can't be relied on :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks everyone. I think I'll keep using google docs and I'll see how it fairs in the first couple of weeks of university and if I find I do need Microsoft office then I'll invest in it. My friend also told me about a programme called libre office, is that any good?
Reply 6
Original post by DarkWhite
The £8.95 deal advertised relies on you working for a company participating in the Home Use Programme scheme.

It does, but I think most universities tend to be signed up to it too. I used my uni email address and it was fine.
LaTeX ftw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending