This discussion is closed.
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hey, anyone know Manchester public transport particularly well? (Yes, I'm looking at you AmazingTrade!). May be a long shot, but I have to get from Piccadilly station to Old Trafford footie ground, setting off at about 7:30am. Will the Metrolink be running? Is walking a realistic option? AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yes i do i get the met everyday to college LOL don't walk and do get a ticket - everytime i don't get a ticket i get caught and fined lol
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
yes i do i get the met everyday to college LOL don't walk and do get a ticket - everytime i don't get a ticket i get caught and fined lol

metro runs from 6am mon - friday
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Walking is not a good idea as Old Trafford and Hulme are not the nicest parts of Manchester. The easiest thing is to get either a tram to Trafford Bar station (though there is still a 5 minute walk) or get the bus (the 250/255/256 from Piccidaly Bus Station) this will drop you off right outside the stadium. There are other buses as well but I am not too sure where they all turn off.

Old Trafford is about stadium is about 3 miles away from Piccidilly Train station just to give you an idea on distances.
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
damn, i remember gettin the 256 to my then-girlfriends house in stretford...the memories
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
P.S My picture on my avator is actually about 10 minutes walk from Old Trafford Stadium (Salford Quays).
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
or you could get off at Old Trafford itself which is a stop after Trafford bar - it stops just outide the statium
hildabeast
Rep:
?
or you could get off at Old Trafford itself which is a stop after Trafford bar - it stops just outide the statium
Yeah but it only runs on match days :rolleyes:

Thanks both of you, that's a great help. Think I'll get the bus.

Thank you
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Its only 20 minutes on the bus at the most, it can take 15 minutes but thats only in quiet traffic. Its not the best bus service in Manchester but you should have to wait no longer than 10 minutes at the very most.
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
lol it runs everyday - honestly, it stops at Old Trafford everyday - i always get nervous when it stops there
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Is that a new stop? I always thought Trafford Bar was the only one you could get too Old Trafford?

But yes the area is very rough, the only place I have never felt a bit scared (that I was about to be mugged) was Seymour Grove at the Trafford Bar end.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Is that a new stop? I always thought Trafford Bar was the only one you could get too Old Trafford?

But yes the area is very rough, the only place I have never felt a bit scared (that I was about to be mugged) was Seymour Grove at the Trafford Bar end.
Oh my God, am I gonna get murdered? Where does the bus drop you off?
Oh, and I will be wearing a University of Oxford conference delegate top - should I cover it up? Will it lead to my death?
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hehehe it's been there for a while now - it goes Cornbrook, Trafford Bar, Old Trafford, Stretford

the new stop is Shudehill after picaddilly gardens

yeh it is very rough around there - i wouldn't ever want to get off at Trafford Bar
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Oh my God, am I gonna get murdered? Where does the bus drop you off?
Lol no you will honestly be fine if you're going straight to the stadium, I wad 13 at the time and had run away from home so I probably looked very scared.

The bus drops you off about 1 minute walk from the enterance. There is always loads of people round the stadium anyway and its on a busy main road. Where I was a bit quieter.

Just be a little bit cautious i.e don' flash you wallet or mobile phone.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hehehe it's been there for a while now - it goes Cornbrook, Trafford Bar, Old Trafford, Stretford

the new stop is Shudehill after picaddilly gardens

yeh it is very rough around there - i wouldn't ever want to get off at Trafford Bar
Yep it makes Moss Side seem pretty safe. I don't know why that area is so rough as there is not many estates round there, I guess its because i is industrial and near the rougher parts of Stretford (Gorse Hill) and Salford (Ordsall).
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if i were you, i'd seriously get the metro than the bus, its quicker and nice and it'll take you closer to old trafford than the bus lol
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Gorse Hill was nice....about 100 years ago when the train station was still active - now it's a decaying cess-pit
hildabeast
Rep:
?
if i were you, i'd seriously get the metro than the bus, its quicker and nice and it'll take you closer to old trafford than the bus lol
Does the metro stop directly near Picc Station? I've never been on a tram before!
*Tries to picture Manchester in head*
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
But don't you have to wait ages for them to turn up? I gave up with the metro when I discovered it would cost me about £3 to get from Stretford to Altrincham when on the bus with my ticket it was free. I guess if it takes you actually right to the stadium it would be a good idea.

By 2008 the metrolink should arive where I live but the tram stop would be 8 minutes walk and the buses near me are every two minutes into town (86) anyway so it would be pointless.
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
there's a met station inside piccadilly station - you have to get the escalators down - there's a million signs for the way
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (46)
65.71%
No I haven't decided yet (16)
22.86%
Yes but I might change my mind (8)
11.43%

Watched Threads