The Student Room Group

Will my a-level options create too much stress?

Hello, I've decided to choose Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and Psychology at A-level. I'd like to ask whether these subjects will create a lot of stress in the next two years at my sixth form and whether I'll be able to cope and achieve good grades (B or higher)?:confused:
Reply 1
Loads of people do these sort of subject combos and from experience it really isnt a problem, I did the same as you except Psychology but did History instead and got AAAB just by doing revision in the last couple of weeks, dont worry if you find it hard at the start as you will get used to it.
I'm doing three of those subjects :smile:

-Biology is mainly learning facts and exam technique. There's quite a lot of content to learn, but if you've got a good memory the concepts aren't too hard to understand.

-Maths is absolutely fine if you've got a mathsy brain. Just make sure you understand all the concepts, and do an infinite amount of past papers.

-Psychology is really interesting, you have to memorise quite a bit of stuff but the fun factor should make it easier.

-Chem is hard, but it gels well with your other subjects, and if you're good at science you'll be fine.

It's quite a lot of work, but you can definitely get good grades, just utilise your frees well :smile: Think of me! I'm doing Biology, Maths, Psychology, Philosophy and English Lit! I'm going to spontaneously combust by the end of the year :tongue:
I'm taking Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths :smile: and I had some quite in-depth conversations with people at my school about whether or not taking four demanding subjects would be too difficult or stressful for me. The feedback that I got was that as long as I did the work as I got it and didn't leave everything until the last minute I would be fine - if you're willing to work then taking lots of subjects like that isn't too stressful. Plus, there's a lot of overlap between the sciences and maths (technically psychology isn't a science but some people would still include it, so I'll include it here). Obviously I don't know how stressed you get nornally, but I expect you'll be fine.
Reply 4
Original post by SaifG97
Hello, I've decided to choose Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and Psychology at A-level. I'd like to ask whether these subjects will create a lot of stress in the next two years at my sixth form and whether I'll be able to cope and achieve good grades (B or higher)?:confused:

a lot of people take the same or similar subjects to that combination, and the people I know cope just fine, however no-one can tell you how you will handle them as we don't know what your previous grades are or how much work you can handle.
Reply 5
Hello!
I'm doing those exact subjects (just finished AS, starting A2) - I would say that as long as you're willing to put in the work throughout the year, achieving the grades you want shouldn't be too difficult- but don't make the mistake of assuming you can do no work throughout the year and then cram at the end! I got AAAA at AS :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks everyone. I'm confident in choosing Biology, Chemistry and Maths, because I got A's in Bio and Chem and an A* in maths GCSE. I'm just pondering over whether I should do psychology or RE?!
Psychology.

Also don't worry, you'll be fine, the average person usually needs to take up to -seven- A Levels before it really puts a strain on you.
Reply 8
Original post by n00bfi
Psychology.

Also don't worry, you'll be fine, the average person usually needs to take up to -seven- A Levels before it really puts a strain on you.

Haha, based on what evidence?
Original post by Blobar
Haha, based on what evidence?

My experience. I'm doing six A levels: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths, French, and Spanish.

I got decent grades in all of them and don't intend on dropping any for A2.
Reply 10
I did those exact same A-levels and got AABB at AS, and then dropped psychology for A2 and got A*AA. I'd recommend dropping at least one of them for A2,
Reply 11
Original post by n00bfi
My experience. I'm doing six A levels: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths, French, and Spanish.

I got decent grades in all of them and don't intend on dropping any for A2.

Yeah so thats just your own experience, you can't just turn it into a general opinion just because you think that.
Original post by Blobar
Yeah so thats just your own experience, you can't just turn it into a general opinion just because you think that.

Well, everyone at my school does five or six A levels and rarely drop a subject at A2, and my experience does constitute "average" because I'm about as average a person as you can get.

And before you say I'm being self-centred, all of this is coming from my teachers - for them, students taking 5 or 6 A levels isn't at all strange rather it's necessary nowadays, to keep your options open.

Just saying.
Reply 13
Original post by n00bfi
Well, everyone at my school does five or six A levels and rarely drop a subject at A2, and my experience does constitute "average" because I'm about as average a person as you can get.

And before you say I'm being self-centred, all of this is coming from my teachers - for them, students taking 5 or 6 A levels isn't at all strange rather it's necessary nowadays, to keep your options open.

Just saying.

I'm pretty sure most people at most schools take 4, maybe 5, some even only take 3 so my guess is that the average person actually only takes 4. Your school may well be different but again it doesn't allow you to create a general opinion of what people think based on 1 school. May I ask what you got at AS? I see people struggle by taking 4, nevermind 7.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by n00bfi

Just saying.

The 'average' person does not take 5/6 A levels. Many people struggle with 3 A levels, let alone 4+. It's completely down to personal preference, but I would not use your example as an average one. Your school will be one of very few where 'everyone' takes 5/6 full A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blobar
I'm pretty sure most people at most schools take 4, maybe 5, some even only take 3 so my guess is that the average person actually only takes 4. Your school may well be different but again it doesn't allow you to create a general opinion of what people think based on 1 school. May I ask what you got at AS?

Physics: A
Biology: B
Chemistry: A
French : A
Maths: A

And Spanish I did the entire A2 level in one year and got a B.

I don't live in the UK though, but a friend of mine said the limit there is five and even then they'd try to convince you to drop one, so I guess my point is moot, lol.

Ignore what I said xD Though I personally still think taking six A levels is not at all a big deal.
Reply 16
Not more stress than any other ones. A levels are STRESSFUL anyway. if your worried about being stressed you will be. Taking 4 a levels is a stressful thing in itself
Reply 17
N00bfi has a point. I did AS English Literature, French, History, Chemistry and Physics and A Level Mathematics in my first year and got A*aaaaa with relative ease. Next year I hope to carry on with A2 English Literature, French, History, Chemistry, Physics and A Level Further Mathematics.
Reply 18
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
N00bfi has a point. I did AS English Literature, French, History, Chemistry and Physics and A Level Mathematics in my first year and got A*aaaaa with relative ease. Next year I hope to carry on with A2 English Literature, French, History, Chemistry, Physics and A Level Further Mathematics.

Thats just you as an individual though, that is not your 'average' person. Congrats on your results though. In my opinion there isn't even a point in taking anymore than a max of 4 A2's altogether, some uni's dont even care if you've done more than 3 and specifically say you aren't at an advantage if you take 4. To OP, work hard and you'll be fine, stress is natural you just have to deal with it, remember stress doesn't have to be a bad thing either, it will probably help you work harder in the end.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Thanks for the advice. You are right. 4 is enough but I like all of my subjects. On reflection, international baccalaureate might have been better for me but in enjoying a levels!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest