The Student Room Group

ICT = Technology subject ???

Hi is ICT A-Level considered as an Technology subject ?
Well I actually did an ICT A level and I can say without a doubt that it is not a technology subject.

Just a test and some coursework to make sure you have general office skills.
Yeah its not technological AT ALL.

The exam boards needed to make a subject that appeared to be keeping up with modern times. Sadly the spectrum of real computer ability is huge, so some people will be quite content with a course in spreadsheets and databases, while others will be totally miffed at the lack of Visual Basic and C+.

A-level ICT is basically 'computer skills for middle-level office work'.

If you want a computing degree, I don't think A-level ICT shows anything more than a vague interest, as the skills from it won't help at all at higher level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
thanks guys but i meant does the universities consider it as an technology subject ?
Original post by CSECS
thanks guys but i meant does the universities consider it as an technology subject ?

In what context? Why? What is a technology subject anyway? Kinda vague!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by universityisfilt
Well I actually did an ICT A level and I can say without a doubt that it is not a technology subject.

Just a test and some coursework to make sure you have general office skills.

is ICT all word and spreadsheets? I've gone on websites such as careers wales and similar which talk about careers if u do ICT which mention softwares or the more media side like graphics and music, but then they always say ICT and Computing, which one is it?
Reply 6
Original post by CSECS
Hi is ICT A-Level considered as an Technology subject ?

I'm fairly sure it is considered a 'soft' subject rather than anything else... and not soft as in software either...
Reply 7
It depends on the context.

The T in ICT does stand for technology, and it does teach students how to use some technology, as well as the social, political, economical, environmental aspects.

It's not to be confused with say computing or computer science which is more about making or developing the technology.
Reply 8
thanks
Reply 9
I do Double I.T and it is not what I expected at all. I'm very much into the technician side of things, troubleshooting, repairing and replacing. None of this has been done so far. It's all about communicationn, being employable, e-commerce and how a business uses I.T. We are now on to making media products and animations but it's not the most fun you could have. If you want to do a practical course, I'd suggest finding an apprenticeship with a business or training company.

I would be in college but a medical problem has set me back to the end of the week, just incase you're wondering why I'm on here during college hours.

All the best

Quick Reply

Latest