The Student Room Group

Will doing 3 AS-Levels disadvantage me?

Hi there,

A few days I moved schools from secondary to grammar and was a few points short of doing 4 AS:frown:( (had I have done the same number of GCSEs as them and not picked a BTEC I'd have certainly got the points, I argued it was a case of being at a below average school not a lack of ability but they had none of it). Anyway, since I'm not doing 4 AS will I be disadvantaged when applying to university or should I not worry too much and just make sure that the 3 A-Levels I get are as high grades as possible?

PS: 100th post! Woot!:banana:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Frank the Tankk
Hi there,

A few days I moved schools from secondary to grammar and was a few points short of doing 4 AS:frown:( (had I have done the same number of GCSEs as them and not picked a BTEC I'd have certainly got the points, I argued it was a case of being at a below average school not a lack of ability but they had none of it). Anyway, since I'm not doing 4 AS will I be disadvantaged when applying to university or should I not worry too much and just make sure that the 3 A-Levels I get are as high grades as possible?

PS: 100th post! Woot!:banana:

Not really
As long as your course / university does not ask for one. (Ill take a punt saying 90% of courses/universities do not ask for one )

In fact 3 AS levels can make you a lot stronger than a person who did 5 but struggled
E.g I did 5 because I'm a bit stupid achieving AAB but my 'medicine' friend did 5 and achieved ABBCD
From my position, I'm in a better spot
For A2 core subjects which is the main thing universities want from the grades.

Just remember if your doing 3, not to waste your frees. Make sure you do plenty of extra stuff outside your subjects for (university?) if your applying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Not really
As long as your course / university does not ask for one. (Ill take a punt saying 90% of courses/universities do not ask for one )

In fact 3 AS levels can make you a lot stronger than a person who did 5 but struggled
E.g I did 5 because I'm a bit stupid achieving AAB but my 'medicine' friend did 5 and achieved ABBCD
From my position, I'm in a better spot
For A2 core subjects which is the main thing universities want from the grades.

Just remember if your doing 3, not to waste your frees. Make sure you do plenty of extra stuff outside your subjects for (university?) if your applying

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea, Nottingham Uni said they expect an additional AS Level pass but I don't see any other uni categorically stating that they expect a 4th AS...so the way I'm looking at it is now I've more time to ensure I get strong grades as despite not having a 4th AS I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Physics which are a tough set of A-Levels.
I'd take a look around universities first. Certain courses may require the 4th AS, although it's fairly unusual for this to happen. The only universities I know of that ask for it are Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Warwick and Nottingham.

If it doesn't say you'll need a 4th, don't worry about it! The main purpose of an additional AS is so that you've got something to fall back on if you don't do too well in another subject (hence why 4 subjects in first year, usually 3 in second). However, if you really enjoy 3 subjects in particular and you know you'll do well in them, I'd say do it.

From personal experience, 3 AS subjects was one of the best decisions I've made. I got my results a week ago, my two A grades were 88% overall for Geography and 94% overall in Politics, and I don't think I would've been able to do that if I'd had the pressures of a 4th subject.

You can also take up an additional AS in your second year, once you're into the swing of A Levels.
Original post by moggington
I'd take a look around universities first. Certain courses may require the 4th AS, although it's fairly unusual for this to happen. The only universities I know of that ask for it are Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Warwick and Nottingham.

If it doesn't say you'll need a 4th, don't worry about it! The main purpose of an additional AS is so that you've got something to fall back on if you don't do too well in another subject (hence why 4 subjects in first year, usually 3 in second). However, if you really enjoy 3 subjects in particular and you know you'll do well in them, I'd say do it.

From personal experience, 3 AS subjects was one of the best decisions I've made. I got my results a week ago, my two A grades were 88% overall for Geography and 94% overall in Politics, and I don't think I would've been able to do that if I'd had the pressures of a 4th subject.

You can also take up an additional AS in your second year, once you're into the swing of A Levels.

Yea that's what I thought but I get the feeling that compared to someone with a 4th AS my application may be slightly weaker, especially since I'm hoping to go to a RG university.
Original post by Frank the Tankk
Yea that's what I thought but I get the feeling that compared to someone with a 4th AS my application may be slightly weaker, especially since I'm hoping to go to a RG university.

I'm taking up a 4th AS subject next year during Year 13, because I feel I'd now be able to manage the workload having experienced doing AS Levels already.

It definitely differs from RG to RG, I'm doing this 4th AS because my UMS scores for my AS results I got on the 15th made me realise I could potentially apply to Durham, but most RGs aren't too fussed so long as you make up for not having that 4th AS by writing a great personal statement.
If your school don't let you do 4 AS Levels then I'm sure it shouldn't disadvantage you as long as the university knows about it through a reference or something. To make sure email some university admissions and explain yourself to them and see what they say.
Ok, thanks for the reassurance! I know that Durham are very selective and I'd be interested in going there but I've another year to think about what unis to apply to so I'll turn out fine I'm sure.

Quick Reply

Latest