The Student Room Group

I don't know how to work and revise effectively for A levels!

I got 5A*s and 5As at GCSE and thought i knew how to revise and approached AS the same. However with Chemistry, Maths, French and Biology i achieved 2Bs and 2Cs. I'd like to know any methods that could push my grades back up to the As i thought i would get :smile:
Well, what did you do the last time that went so right?
What do you want us to say? There's no magical fix, you just have to get your head down and keep it down. Do a crapload of past papers and see what happens. If it still doesn't go well, then the only logical explanation is that you're not cut out for it.
Pick subjects you enjoy and do lots of past papers! :smile:
Reply 4
For mathematics... practice loads of questions. Do easy ones at first and make sure to do all the hard ones, then for exam go through most of the exercises with the hard questions then attempt past papers.
Everything else...revise all year and do past papers for methods of answering questions and the application of knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Past papers, past papers, past papers, past papers, past papers, past papers...
LEARN THE MARKSCHEME like it's a religious document.
Reply 6
It's not unusual to go down in grades compared to your GCSE's because of how much harder AS is. If you put the work in on your B subjects you'll get an A if not an A* and there's even the slight chance of an A* for your C ones because of the way the system works but you'd a better chance of an A by retaking a module or two.

My revision tip is PAST PAPERS also. Best way to learn I reckon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
When people say do past papers, do they mean time yourself as well?
Reply 8
Original post by goldie56
When people say do past papers, do they mean time yourself as well?
I think it's best to time yourself so you can work on your time management as well. There is no point knowing how to answer every question but in the exam only having time to answer half of them. xD

But, yes, past papers! Reading the mark schemes is useful.
Don't avoid the modules you find harder, concentrate on them more!

You know best though. How did you feel in the exams?
Did you feel you knew all the content? Exam technique can really factor in.
As well as everything already mentioned you could look at examiner's reports if you have the time. They tend to explain where the majority of students have gone wrong in the past and they can be kinda useful (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest