The Student Room Group

Architectural Technology - knowledge required?

Hi,

I recently finished studying BTEC IT. I has applied for uni this year, however had huge debate over a) if I really wanted to go initially and b) what would I want to study. And then to put the cherry on top, didn't get into halls and don't have finances in place this year to enter into private residence.

The obvious is to continue computing, but it just doesn't appeal to me all that much if I'm honest. I did well at college, leaving with DDD and i'm sure that I could do IT in uni.. but when I think of it leading into a career, I just don't feel too confident in that it'd be something I want to do - which deems is pointless to continue at uni and I also want to do something that's going to interest me (obviously!)

I scanned prospectuses a lot and Architectural technology is something that sounds interesting and has some parts of computing involved. My worry is.. do I need to be any good at drawing to do this course? I did resistant materials at school for GCSE and there was drawing design work involved - which I didn't do too bad... but I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm amazing when it comes to freehand design and equally, I've never done any real computing graphics work.

So my questions are:

- Do I need any specific knowledge to do the course - such as computing design etc?
- Do I need to be good at drawing to do this course?

If yes:

- Do they teach you freehand draw/design techniques?

I will contact a few universities, but wondered if anyone would know who's perhaps going to study this course or who has studied this course.

Any information will be appreciated :smile:.
Reply 1
Original post by AFE94
Hi,

I recently finished studying BTEC IT. I has applied for uni this year, however had huge debate over a) if I really wanted to go initially and b) what would I want to study. And then to put the cherry on top, didn't get into halls and don't have finances in place this year to enter into private residence.

The obvious is to continue computing, but it just doesn't appeal to me all that much if I'm honest. I did well at college, leaving with DDD and i'm sure that I could do IT in uni.. but when I think of it leading into a career, I just don't feel too confident in that it'd be something I want to do - which deems is pointless to continue at uni and I also want to do something that's going to interest me (obviously!)

I scanned prospectuses a lot and Architectural technology is something that sounds interesting and has some parts of computing involved. My worry is.. do I need to be any good at drawing to do this course? I did resistant materials at school for GCSE and there was drawing design work involved - which I didn't do too bad... but I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm amazing when it comes to freehand design and equally, I've never done any real computing graphics work.

So my questions are:

- Do I need any specific knowledge to do the course - such as computing design etc?
- Do I need to be good at drawing to do this course?

If yes:

- Do they teach you freehand draw/design techniques?

I will contact a few universities, but wondered if anyone would know who's perhaps going to study this course or who has studied this course.

Any information will be appreciated :smile:.

Hi!

Firstly, theres a girl on my course that did hairdressing for 5 years and is now studying AT. So you can do it!

I don't pride myself on my drawing. I'm into computer graphics. They will teach you drawing techniques and help you.

The course material is quite challenging as there is a lot to learn! But almost everyone is in the same boat as its all new to most people.

I can recommend some books to you if you like? If you visit this thread here i have written some info for other students.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2412172

Give me a PM or post in that thread if you need more info.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending