The Student Room Group

really scared of moths but dont want to kill them?

this is not a trolling question. Im deathly scared of moths and other small creatures but dont like to kill them. I also cannot remove them in any way apart from getting a member of my family to kill it. They cannot be bothered to remove the moth safely without injury but Im too scared to do it myself. I just dont like the look of these creatures, it frightens me.

Please help, its becoming a constant annoyance, I dont know how to get rid of them without killing them and without getting my family involved?
Reply 1
This is me. :frown: I know there is one hiding in my room but I can't get rid of it, it's too effin big. :frown:
Reply 3
$10 a bug and ill swat them for you.
Reply 4
What I do to deal with bugs I dislike is to tape a plastic cup on the end of a ruler and quickly slap a lid or paper over it. There used to be a soda bottle type rig that was set up the same way.

Also, in the future, you might wanna set up some herbal satchets in things you don't want moths in.
Grab two or three spiders from the garden and let them loose in your house and watch the moth population fall rapidly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
You're not alone. I hate killing any living creatures, even bugs; I will never ever do it. But moths, I am really really REALLY scared of them to the point where they have caused proper panic attacks in the past. Probably phobia level. Luckily I have an understanding boyfriend who is a dab hand with the paper-over-the-cup method of moth removal. He is even able to catch them in his cupped hands! Since we have moved to a more built up area they don't seem to come in the house any more though.

Is there anyone in your family you could talk to who might be understanding and help you out without killing them? I wish I could offer more suggestions :-(
Reply 7
I can understand a fear of bugs and spiders. Fears and phobias can really make life difficult. With moths, perhaps it helps reminding yourself that they can't bite and they can't sting, so they can't hurt you in any way? They're just like butterflies, really. Though, I know what it's like to have a phobia. It's house spiders with me... if I know there's one on the loose in my room, I can't sleep in it, so I'm not one to talk...:colondollar:

For critters I am frightened off, I use the cup and cardboard method. I'm even trying to use that one with spiders, instead of killing them, though it's scary and they're so quick! If they sit still, though, it is effective.
Arghhh theyre so annoying. There were literally like 20 in my bathroom a while back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
moths are annoying, and I have a similar fear too, what I tend to do if my sister isn't willing to help me catch it is, switch all lights off in the room apart from a small light such as a desk lamp or a torch. moths love lights so they will head to the light it will make them easier to catch. you don't have to touch them, just get a cup and some paper and grab them. they don't fly as fast as say flies do so they are easier to catch. once you have caught it, let it outside, but not out the window cause it will fly back in again, so go outside and do it. I hate killing them too. hope this helps.
Reply 10
I have a mozzy net over my window in summer hung up with blu-tac so I can open/close the window itself, this can help prevent any bugs getting in. And I don't think I can add much except that the light method someone mentioned is a really good idea and you could just try luring them out of your room using that.
Reply 11
kids have taken over this section. must be about 7
Reply 13
A moth landed on my face when I was trying to get to sleep the other night and I think I had a small heart attack. My friend had one of those little bug vacuum things that trap them but don't kill them so you can release them in the garden? Not sure of the name but definitely worth looking into, it gives you a bit of distance from them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending