The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE results good?

I'm saying this because everyone on here seems to be getting like 13A*'s and if you don't get any of them you're a failure... I got 7As 3Bs and 2Cs.. I know that isn't bad but is it actually good? Because everyone on here seems to do amazing making my own achievement seem less.... Does anyone understand what I'm saying?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bbbtsr
I'm saying this because everyone on here seems to be getting like 13A*'s and if you don't get any of them you're a failure... I got 7As 3Bs and 2Cs.. I know that isn't bad but is it actually good? Because everyone on here seems to do amazing making my own achievement seem less.... Does anyone understand what I'm saying?

If you want to do medicine (or something of that nature) they are below average for successful applicants. If not, they are perfectly good, and providing you do well in AS you could potentially get you offers from very good universities.
All the year 11d I've talked to, none of them have had any A*s, and your results are the best I've heard out of all the ones from my school/area
Original post by bbbtsr

above a C is above average isn't it? So you're above average on all the GCSE's except the 2 Cs :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by AlanAlty
If you want to do medicine (or something of that nature) they are below average for successful applicants. If not, they are perfectly good, and providing you do well in AS you could potentially get you offers from very good universities.

No, I'm not into the medicine route at all. I want to hopefully go into Law:smile: which I think I'll be best at because I got all A's in the essay-y subjects... I.e English Lit/Lang, History etc
Reply 5
They seem fine to me.
Reply 6
i achieved 3A* 5A and 1B are those results good for dentistry
Original post by bbbtsr
No, I'm not into the medicine route at all. I want to hopefully go into Law:smile: which I think I'll be best at because I got all A's in the essay-y subjects... I.e English Lit/Lang, History etc

Oh, well I'm sure you'll be fine at securing a place in a relatively good university. But places like LSE, UCL ect ect. your GCSE's are not good enough, and you will probably be rejected before an interview...
Reply 8
Oh, well I'm sure you'll be fine at securing a place in a relatively good university. But places like LSE, UCL ect ect. your GCSE's are not good enough, and you will probably be rejected before an interview...

Ahh really? Ugh that's a bit rubbish then...
Wait ic have just checked UCL and it said for GCSEs they require B's in English Lang, Maths and a 2nd language and that's the only requirement for them (-as long as I do good in my a levels too, obviously) confused >,>?
Original post by bbbtsr
Ahh really? Ugh that's a bit rubbish then...
Wait ic have just checked UCL and it said for GCSEs they require B's in English Lang, Maths and a 2nd language and that's the only requirement for them (-as long as I do good in my a levels too, obviously) confused >,>?

I meant UCL in particular, btw.

The thing I hate is that universities will say they only require a 'B in x and y' but in reality that's the minimum, any less and there's no point. A successful applicant for law at UCL have around 6-11 A*'s at GCSE :frown: If you're dead set on UCL (so am I, but I've finished AS so kind of know my strengths ect.) you could always apply as a stretch option and see what happens?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Miladrises
i achieved 3A* 5A and 1B are those results good for dentistry

Quite honestly, dentistry isn't too hard to get a place for, those will do you fine. The most important thing is that you (probably) should look to achieve a minimum of AAAB at AS, and get sufficient work experience. In terms of securing your place it could be considered similar in approach to medicine but less rigorous.
Reply 11
I meant UCL in particular, btw.

The thing I hate is that universities will say they only require a 'B in x and y' but in reality that's the minimum, any less and there's no point. A successful applicant for law at UCL have around 6-11 A*'s at GCSE :frown: If you're dead set on UCL (so am I, but I've finished AS so kind of know my strengths ect.) you could always apply as a stretch option and see what happens?

Ah, so it's quite misleading then! Hm, I don't really have my heart set on it as such, I just want to go to any decent university really;p
Reply 12
Original post by bbbtsr

For Law, at a large majority of universities, those are fine. There's a lot of trolls on TSR so be careful what you believe (^^). If you get great AS results, they couldn't care less what GCSEs you had. Aim for aaaa at AS (maybe even >90%) - which will land you good A2 predictions - and you have a chance anywhere provided you have the right motives.
Original post by bbbtsr
Ah, so it's quite misleading then! Hm, I don't really have my heart set on it as such, I just want to go to any decent university really;p

That's not to say you don't have a chance, you should still apply if you have good AS results! If not, you could always apply for something else like History or English and apply post grad :smile:

Edit: Whoops, forgot that English at UCL is possibly harder to get into than Law. History I'm not sure about though. You could get into many good universities for law! You're grades are actually good
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
A lot of people on TSR exaggerate their results. Watch out.
Reply 15
Original post by noobslayer
For Law, at a large majority of universities, those are fine. There's a lot of trolls on TSR so be careful what you believe (^^). If you get great AS results, they couldn't care less what GCSEs you had. Aim for aaaa at AS (maybe even >90%) - which will land you good A2 predictions - and you have a chance anywhere provided you have the right motives.

Wel for my A levels I'm taking - English lit, history, geography, psychology and German. I thought these would be good for Law? Especially and additional language.. And I'm really going to try super and hard and give it my all, because I'm changing schools (my school doesn't have a sixth form) and besides my schools gcse pass rate is terrible! Something like 35%..
Reply 16
Original post by bbbtsr
Wel for my A levels I'm taking - English lit, history, geography, psychology and German. I thought these would be good for Law? Especially and additional language.. And I'm really going to try super and hard and give it my all, because I'm changing schools (my school doesn't have a sixth form) and besides my schools gcse pass rate is terrible! Something like 35%..

Those sound great. Don't compromise on quality for quantity, mind, it'd be better if you stuck to 4 subjects if you then had more time to solidify your preparation for exams (I've been there). Depending on the university too, you're demographics and past education is taken in to account, so you may benefit if you feel that you achieved much more than most in the situation you were in.
Reply 17
Original post by noobslayer
Those sound great. Don't compromise on quality for quantity, mind, it'd be better if you stuck to 4 subjects if you then had more time to solidify your preparation for exams (I've been there). Depending on the university too, you're demographics and past education is taken in to account, so you may benefit if you feel that you achieved much more than most in the situation you were in.

Yeah, I'm having chats with my college about it in the following week. I know it wil be a push but I am prepared to work extremely hard and I do love the subject, though if it gets too tough I will drop one by Christmas. Yeah I heard you can benefit from that in quite a few universities actually - some pretty good ones too! But yeah my schools average point score is like 32.1 whereas I got 48 so I didnt do bad haha:P
Reply 18
Original post by bbbtsr
Yeah, I'm having chats with my college about it in the following week. I know it wil be a push but I am prepared to work extremely hard and I do love the subject, though if it gets too tough I will drop one by Christmas. Yeah I heard you can benefit from that in quite a few universities actually - some pretty good ones too! But yeah my schools average point score is like 32.1 whereas I got 48 so I didnt do bad haha:P

Take this seriously. Once you begin sixth form, try NOT to use TSR forums (a lot), it's useful for you now as you're contemplating which AS subjects to take etc, however during the year the main thing you should concentrate on is maximizing your UMS scores. In my first year, I spent far too much time doing extra-curricular stuff (essay prizes, research, asking questions on forums) and almost compromised my AS exams - by far the most important discriminator for university admissions. It's easy to get carried away with assessing your future, don't forget what your priorities are!
Reply 19
If you want to go into any professional career then those results are simply not good enough up against todays competition. They should be just about all right for low skilled sort of jobs like cleaning or shelf stacking, if you are looking to go down this sort of route then I hope this helps
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest