The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

CowPatHeathcote
Reply 2
she's sexy

nah...
Reply 3
what are you on about? its a really good text book...
Reply 4
What he said.
I have always liked it. I even bought it!
Its laid out perfectly and has all the information you need.
Reply 5
Heathcote is old. Several things on the specification have changed, and the information isn't all that reliable. The exercises are very poor as well, I found them rather pointless.
CowPatHeathcote
:biggrin:

i agree the best examz ive had hav been without that book
'tis alright, back it up with a decent revision guide and its perfect.. Heathcote is very good for some stuff, Algorithms I believe... cant quite remember.

(Although I never have to look at a algorithm again now I've done CP4! WOOO!)
Reply 8
what can you expect, when the author is a woman?
Reply 9
Anybody have a copy of the January 06 CPT4 and 5 papers? Kind enough to upload thm please?

Thanks
Reply 10
Heathcote was our main book, I thought it was ok up until the CPT4 stuff, because my teacher thought it might be a good idea to read aloud whats in the textbook, rather than actually teach.
Reply 11
lol i think my old computing teacher was in love with her:p:, mentioning her every lesson:rofl:
Reply 13
philip67
what can you expect, when the author is a woman?

OI! :mad:

Go back to the hole whence you came, before my female ninja colleagues find your comment :jitsu:
Reply 14
man heathcote is soooooo boring!!!!

1) its black and white, we like colour in our textbooks nowadays; gives us the motivation to revise from it. i highlight my book with many fluorescent colours to make it more appealing.

2) my teacher lives off that book in our lessons. we do the AQA ICT A Level. she uses all the presentations created from the book, gives us the questions from the book, which are much harder than the actual exam, makes us do the case studies from them as well...... argh, its infuriating!!! :mad:

as far as i know, those books are the definition of boring and useless because i havent learnt much from them and im doing fine.

however, the excel book is alright, learnt many new advanced techniques.... from it.
hatty341
man heathcote is soooooo boring!!!!

1) its black and white, we like colour in our textbooks nowadays; gives us the motivation to revise from it. i highlight my book with many fluorescent colours to make it more appealing.

2) my teacher lives off that book in our lessons. we do the AQA ICT A Level. she uses all the presentations created from the book, gives us the questions from the book, which are much harder than the actual exam, makes us do the case studies from them as well...... argh, its infuriating!!! :mad:

as far as i know, those books are the definition of boring and useless because i havent learnt much from them and im doing fine.

however, the excel book is alright, learnt many new advanced techniques.... from it.

It is probally black and white to keep down publication costs down, or else we would all be complaining that the price of the book is just too much. I would personally be working at a level above what is required of myself, i mean if you want into your AS examination and they included a question not covered previously but your knowledge of harder examination questions allowed you to grasp the concept better than others i would be grateful rather than resentful.
Reply 16
I have to admit that the book is very boring to read, and can be a tad confusing on some topics. However, it's useful as a reference book to look up little things if you're not sure on them.
I've found that the best way to prepare for AQA Computing exams are just to do loads of practice papers - they tend to use the same question styles every year.
loopymeg
I have to admit that the book is very boring to read, and can be a tad confusing on some topics. However, it's useful as a reference book to look up little things if you're not sure on them.
I've found that the best way to prepare for AQA Computing exams are just to do loads of practice papers - they tend to use the same question styles every year.

Er? Are you taking the AQA Computing examination as me? Because this year with the introduction of a new Chief Examiner led to a complete revamp in the style of questions for CPT1. So really churning through past papers wasnt really as effective this time as with our CPT3 and CPT2 examinations which seemed slightly more conventional with regards to previous layouts and question styles.
Reply 18
michaelbenson
Er? Are you taking the AQA Computing examination as me? Because this year with the introduction of a new Chief Examiner led to a complete revamp in the style of questions for CPT1. So really churning through past papers wasnt really as effective this time as with our CPT3 and CPT2 examinations which seemed slightly more conventional with regards to previous layouts and question styles.

Yes, and no.
I AM taking AQA Computing, BUT I've just finished the A2 exams, whereas you seem to be on AS at the moment.
What's the topic title for CPT3 this year? We had "Terry's Turkeys", and I think the year before us had "Tod's Tyres"...
It was "Village hall "this year. See the many threads on it asking for help ...

Latest

Trending

Trending