The Student Room Group

Pharmacy or medicine help!!!!!

Hi everybody.

I am really confused at the moment... I don't know whether to apply for pharmacy and medicine or just pharmacy alone. I am scared if i apply for medicine my personal statement will affect my chances of getting into either. I have started planning my personal statement and the deadline for medicine is very close. I have also booked my UKCAT for October the 4th and i have not even touched the UKCAT revision guide.

Would you recommend me focusing on applying for pharmacy or taking my chances and trying to apply for foundation medicine.

Please offer me advice i am really confused
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I think you should apply for pharmacy, because there is a higher chance of you getting in to uni than medicine....
Reply 2
Original post by MoAbas
Hi everybody.

I am really confused at the moment... I don't know whether to apply for pharmacy and medicine or just pharmacy alone. I am scared if i apply for medicine my personal statement will affect my chances of getting into either. I have started planning my personal statement and the deadline for medicine is very close. I have also booked my UKCAT for October the 4th and i have not even touched the UKCAT revision guide. My AS Level results are AAB. I done Chemistry Maths and Biology and I got a B in biology 1 UMS off an A.

Would you recommend me focusing on applying for pharmacy or taking my chances and trying to apply for foundation medicine.

Please offer me advice i am really confused and i have nobody to turn to for advice.:smile:

Depends what your main aims in life are? Family played a massive role for me as a woman who wants a career so i opted for pharmacy as it is a lot more flexible around family life while still being prestigious at the same time. :smile: I had many other reasons but this was my main motive.
Original post by Farah_786
I think you should apply for pharmacy, because there is a higher chance of you getting in to uni than medicine....

OP would regret that.

yeah it's hard to get in but people get in somehow! OP, get work experience in both places and see what you like.
Reply 4
Hey, I got into medicine this year and I was is a similar position to what you are in now,

Firstly DON'T WORRY about the ukcat, of course you must practice for it, but you have plenty of time left. I did three weeks revision before and got 667.5 (not amazing, but enough for where I wanted to go).

I got AAAB for AS, with the B in Chemistry which I thought would hold me back. It was a really low B as well! However I passed the academic stage for all my unis, so I'm sure you will too with similar grades!

Also I didn't start my PS until the start of September. As long as you put a lot of work into it over a few weeks, you can definitely have it done before the October deadline.

I applied to a Genetics course with my medicine personal statement and got an offer: this also happened with a lot of my friends. I think a lot of life sciences courses expect a lot of medicine applicants, as many choose life sciences for their back up choice, so I think you'll be fine here too.

Also, why would you do a foundation course? These are usually for people without science A Levels.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by emma.bcx
Hey, I got into medicine this year and I was is a similar position to what you are in now,

Firstly DON'T WORRY about the ukcat, of course you must practice for it, but you have plenty of time left. I did three weeks revision before and got 667.5 (not amazing, but enough for where I wanted to go).

I got AAAB for AS, with the B in Chemistry which I thought would hold me back. It was a really low B as well! However I passed the academic stage for all my unis, so I'm sure you will too with similar grades!

Also I didn't start my PS until the start of September. As long as you put a lot of work into it over a few weeks, you can definitely have it done before the October deadline.

I applied to a Genetics course with my medicine personal statement and got an offer: this also happened with a lot of my friends. I think a lot of life sciences courses expect a lot of medicine applicants, as many choose life sciences for their back up choice, so I think you'll be fine here too.

Also, why would you do a foundation course? These are usually for people without science A Levels.

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks very much you have helped me a lot...

Good luck with Medicine at university hope everything goes well.
Reply 6
Original post by MoAbas
Thanks very much you have helped me a lot...

Good luck with Medicine at university hope everything goes well.

You're welcome :smile: and thank you! :biggrin: x
Medicine we need more doctors not pharmacists but in the end do what you think is best for you.
Reply 8
hey i just wanted some advice, i am just starting my second year in sixth form and have got pretty disappointing results AABC with the C being in chemistry, i was just wondering if i resit and hopefully get the C to an A by the summer what are the chances of being accpted by Cardiff Uni for pharmacy and also what do i need to increase my chances of being accepted and what to include in my personal statement to make it better. Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply 9
Guys i need help, i want to do foundation year medicine aswell but i dont know if my grades are good enough and if i would get an offer,

my AS grades are B in Biology C in Chemistry C in psychology and D in business i also got an A in turkish

My gcse's are not good, got 1 A* 2 A's 5 B's and 3 C's

I booked my ukcat, revising for it hopefully ill get an high score, want to apply to kings, southampton, nottingham and durham foundation year, do you think ill get an offer? :/
Original post by barmutlu1
Guys i need help, i want to do foundation year medicine aswell but i dont know if my grades are good enough and if i would get an offer,

my AS grades are B in Biology C in Chemistry C in psychology and D in business i also got an A in turkish

I booked my ukcat, revising for it hopefully ill get an high score, want to apply to kings, southampton, nottingham and durham foundation year, do you think ill get an offer? :/

Just work as hard as you can, that's all that matters. Let us know how you do :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by barmutlu1

i know someone that got an offer with CCD at a levels because she done well in her ukcat and done lots of work experience. but there was a catche... she had to retake her exams all in june to bring them up to Bs
Original post by nad96
hey i just wanted some advice, i am just starting my second year in sixth form and have got pretty disappointing results AABC with the C being in chemistry, i was just wondering if i resit and hopefully get the C to an A by the summer what are the chances of being accpted by Cardiff Uni for pharmacy and also what do i need to increase my chances of being accepted and what to include in my personal statement to make it better. Any help would be much appreciated.

chemistry is quite important in pharm. but your other results are good, so if you your personal statement shows youre really passionate about pharm. they will most probably give you a chance to bring up the C. try convincing your teacher to give you a good reference and also try to get as much as pharmacy related work experience as possible. good luck
Reply 13
hi, i got 4C's at AS in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I want to study pharmacy so obviously was disappointed with these grades. Do you think it would be possible for me to get any offers with these grades? or is it worth me re-sitting the year. i think i will be able to re-sit some modules in the summer to bring the grades up a lot. Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by amk1996
hi, i got 4C's at AS in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I want to study pharmacy so obviously was disappointed with these grades. Do you think it would be possible for me to get any offers with these grades? or is it worth me re-sitting the year. i think i will be able to re-sit some modules in the summer to bring the grades up a lot. Any advice would be appreciated.

Are they high Cs, If you really like pharmacy somwunis do pharmacy with a foundation year (5 years)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Looney Tunes
Just work as hard as you can, that's all that matters. Let us know how you do :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will do thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by presidential_
i know someone that got an offer with CCD at a levels because she done well in her ukcat and done lots of work experience. but there was a catche... she had to retake her exams all in june to bring them up to Bs

ohh reallyy, do you know what ukcat score she got? thanks a lot you made me feel a bit more confident :smile:
Lool no problem. And I think around 700, have you done any work experience?

Quick Reply