The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths dilemma

Hi,

I sat my gcses in 2012 jan and June and when it came to maths I got 3 ums marks of a C. So this past year whilst doing my AS levels, I resat unit 3 of the maths but the same thing happened again! So I was wondering whether I would be able to resit the unit 3 again this year or would I have to do it all over again?
Reply 1
Original post by hasan-1-
Hi,

I sat my gcses in 2012 jan and June and when it came to maths I got 3 ums marks of a C. So this past year whilst doing my AS levels, I resat unit 3 of the maths but the same thing happened again! So I was wondering whether I would be able to resit the unit 3 again this year or would I have to do it all over again?

Assuming Edexcel - you could sit it this November

From next summer it will be linear only
Reply 2
from Cife.org: 'You can only retake modular GCSEs in Maths, English Language and English Lit in November 2013. January and March GCSE exams have been abolished and while all GCSE subjects are available in summer 2014 they will be 'linear'. That means you will have to take the whole exam, not just the bits you need to improve.' Also, if you have already been awarded the GCSE I don't think you can retake one unit of it to increase your grade, because you have already finished the qualification. If you haven't been awarded the qualification yet, then depending on your exam board (some only allow one re-sit) you should be allowed to resit in November this year.
Reply 3
It's AQA..
But I was awarded the GCSE last year and then was still able to resit the unit this past June..
Reply 4
It's AQA..
But I was awarded the GCSE last year and then was still able to resit the unit this past June..

Pretty sure they will have the modular re-sit this November as well - check the on-line exam calendar to be sure

Still only Linear from next June

November 11th

http://www.education.gov.uk/comptimetable/search.aspx
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Aqa have that exam sitting on November 11th
Does that mean I would be able to sit it?
Also what is linear?
Reply 6
Aqa have that exam sitting on November 11th
Does that mean I would be able to sit it?
Also what is linear?

You should be able to take it - check with your school

You did Modular which means the content was split over 2 units
Linear is one exam (well 2 papers) that tests all of the content
Reply 7
They also have that paper in June though? I thought you said November would be the last sitting for module exams?
So what's harder, linear or module?
Reply 8
They also have that paper in June though? I thought you said November would be the last sitting for module exams?
So what's harder, linear or module?

Please use the quote facility so that I can see you have responded

They will not have Modular exams next June - whilst the unit exams are available you would have to do all 3 papers (same content as the linear)

Neither is harder but you will have to revise more content for the Linear
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TenOfThem
Please use the quote facility so that I can see you have responded

They will not have Modular exams next June - whilst the unit exams are available you would have to do all 3 papers (same content as the linear)

Neither is harder but you will have to revise more content for the Linear

But I looked at the aqa exam schedule for June 2014 and it has that exam listed..?
I don't understand how that works out, if the unit exams are available why would I have to sit them all rather than just the one?
But I looked at the aqa exam schedule for June 2014 and it has that exam listed..?
I don't understand how that works out, if the unit exams are available why would I have to sit them all rather than just the one?

Because the modular qualification is no longer available

Taking the papers at the same time makes it Linear
Reply 11
Because the modular qualification is no longer available

Taking the papers at the same time makes it Linear

So why is it listed for June?
So why is it listed for June?

I am sorry, what don't you understand

The AQA Linear Maths qualification can be gained by sitting Mod1, Mod2, and Mod3
You could sit all 3 papers next June

However, if you wish to just re-sit Mod3 as part of the Modular qualification - to improve your grade then the last chance for that will be this November
Reply 13
I am sorry, what don't you understand

The AQA Linear Maths qualification can be gained by sitting Mod1, Mod2, and Mod3
You could sit all 3 papers next June

However, if you wish to just re-sit Mod3 as part of the Modular qualification - to improve your grade then the last chance for that will be this November

I don't understand the fact that on schedule a seperate paper is listed for linear.. Linear paper 1 and 2 so one would assume that is seperate from the module one
I don't understand the fact that on schedule a seperate paper is listed for linear.. Linear paper 1 and 2 so one would assume that is seperate from the module one

AQA have 2 syllabuses

1 was previously linear and is still linear
1 was previously modular, is now linear

Either can be sat next June
Reply 15
I still have to sit unit 3 as well. Ive sat unit 1 and 2 though.

Quick Reply

Latest