The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing Critical Thinking?

My college has offered me the chance to do Critical Thinking as a fifth A Level. Looking at university websites, I know that they generally don't consider it in their offers but my college argue that it helps in the interview process for top universities when they ask "searching questions". Are they right? Is it worth doing it? Or just a waste of time?
Original post by RichardPG
My college has offered me the chance to do Critical Thinking as a fifth A Level. Looking at university websites, I know that they generally don't consider it in their offers but my college argue that it helps in the interview process for top universities when they ask "searching questions". Are they right? Is it worth doing it? Or just a waste of time?

Hey,

When I went to enroll at my college one of the teachers I saw told me the exact same as you were told. I said no because I don't see the point in doing it, if I wanted to do a fifth A-Level then I'd do one which universities count. It might be easy and not take much time to do but the thing is that it still adds stress and means I'm doing something that is probably worthless.

I really do have to question its usefulness in uni interviews, I don't know whether it would be as helpful as being 100% clued up on the course you intend to study and all of that sort of stuff.

I'm not taking it because I didn't like the taster of it I did a year or so ago, it really bored me. Also, it will probably add more stress for nothing. Finally, universities don't look at it so I could spend my time getting better grades in subjects they actually look at.

Also, in college you'll probably get help and advice on uni interviews anyway without doing critical thinking.

Hope I've helped, maybe tell me what you've decided when you make a decision? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by harrybithell196
Hey,

When I went to enroll at my college one of the teachers I saw told me the exact same as you were told. I said no because I don't see the point in doing it, if I wanted to do a fifth A-Level then I'd do one which universities count. It might be easy and not take much time to do but the thing is that it still adds stress and means I'm doing something that is probably worthless.

I really do have to question its usefulness in uni interviews, I don't know whether it would be as helpful as being 100% clued up on the course you intend to study and all of that sort of stuff.

I'm not taking it because I didn't like the taster of it I did a year or so ago, it really bored me. Also, it will probably add more stress for nothing. Finally, universities don't look at it so I could spend my time getting better grades in subjects they actually look at.

Also, in college you'll probably get help and advice on uni interviews anyway without doing critical thinking.

Hope I've helped, maybe tell me what you've decided when you make a decision? :smile:

Hmm, i'm definitely leaning more towards not doing it. You're right in that it would add more unnecessary stress, particularly around exam time. I'll be so caught up in revising for my other four subjects that I won't want to do anything for CT, nor will I want to waste an hours free period in one of its lessons! I'll have another think later on but i'll probably not bother with it.

Quick Reply

Latest