The Student Room Group

Computing info

Hi, could anyone tell me a bit more about computing? I realise there's probably a lot of different specifics in this subject but I'm reading 'codes' and 'programming' and just wondering if anybody could put it into context or expand on this? I'm still not sure what it is aha :tongue:
Also things like sound engineering/recording using a computer, is this computing or is it more separate? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Google is your friend.

Sound engineering is totally different. Programming the software for sound engineers is computing though.
Reply 2
Thanks this helped a lot sorry it's late but now I know I need to look at them differently which helps aha thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nat_LPS
Hi, could anyone tell me a bit more about computing? I realise there's probably a lot of different specifics in this subject but I'm reading 'codes' and 'programming' and just wondering if anybody could put it into context or expand on this? I'm still not sure what it is aha :tongue:
Also things like sound engineering/recording using a computer, is this computing or is it more separate? Thanks :smile:

A Computing degree varies between each university and they're a wide range of Computing programs out there that all teach different things but a typical Computing degree will have this.

In the first year, you will study different area of Computing. Typically it will have modules in programming, database, Computer systems, introduction to networking, forsensics and web design. Some university might have professional development module but basically that what it be like. In the first year, you get an introduction to the subject. After that, in your second and final year. You get to choose what you like to study for optional modules and will put what you skills your learnt in your first year. You can choose what area of Computing you enjoy and tailor the degree to your own strengths.

I have started a degree in Business Information Technology which is a mix of business and IT in the course and hope to do well in it.

Computing degree or Computer Science is good subject if you like to study technical subject but its will require you to:

Get best grade possible
Doing it at suitable university
You have to keep updating your skills because in IT, new technology get introduced
Having some work experience and doing your own projects or learning more about the subject in your own free time

The downside of doing a Computing related degree is that

Your degree will become outdated few years after graduating because everything you studied will become outdated and useless
IT and Computing industry have become too competitive due to the amount of people studying the subject

Research what you like to do, you could study for joint honours degree so you can study 2 subjects in your degree like Business and Computing or you might find another degree subject that you interested in.

If you still interested in studying IT related subject then go for Computer Science degree or study Computing instead.

Good luck.

:keyboard::keyboard:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending