The Student Room Group

Bad grades, what to drop for medicine?

hi everyone, i am about to start my A2 year. I am very confused, and need some advice. I was considering medicine, but these grades will limit me badly!,

My AS level results were;
Maths: C 195/300 Bombed Core1, which is regarded by everyone as the "easiest"
Bio:
C 190/300
Chem: B 223/300
Physics: B
210/300

I am very confused on what to drop... My dad is saying forget about specific unis and courses its about "survival" so you need to drop bio (As you got the lowest UMS) , to have the best possible chance of getting the best grades next year.

My dream is to do medicine, and biology is required by places like kings, ie edmp, and many other unis, so i would rather drop physics or maths, (and work my socks of next year, and try my best to get AAA prediction)

i could have got an A in maths, but had a headache and got an E grade in what should have been the easiest exam.

Thank you so much, any bit of advice would help me so much, and would make such a difference!!!
Drop physics, Bio/Chem/Maths is the most common A-level combination for medicine (unless you adore Physics). Then work your ass off with retakes, and I would advise taking a gap year and applying after you've got your A-levels (because even if you manage to get them up to A*AA or the like they won't know that and they'll only see BBCC at AS - best to apply with your A2 grades in hand if you think you can do much better than your AS).
Reply 2
Original post by paradoxicalme
Drop physics, Bio/Chem/Maths is the most common A-level combination for medicine (unless you adore Physics). Then work your ass off with retakes, and I would advise taking a gap year and applying after you've got your A-levels (because even if you manage to get them up to A*AA or the like they won't know that and they'll only see BBCC at AS - best to apply with your A2 grades in hand if you think you can do much better than your AS).

I understand, than you soo much for giving me a detailed answer:smile:

wont some unis discriminaate you for doing your A2's before applying?, and how would offer's work?

i know i can do much better next year, as i simply did not work hard enough:angry: to get A grades

so the process is, getting back to school, focusing on A2's getting the best possible grades, then applying next september???
Reply 3

at the moment I am eligible for some widening access courses, ie the kings edmp, but if i am predicted AAA, some widening acess courses will say "apply for the standard course", but im in serious trouble beacuse of my AS grdes
Reply 4
Drop maths. 3 sciences may be boring but you have a higher chance of actually getting the grades, plus as far as i know, none of the uni's specifically ask for maths..
Original post by oranjuice
I understand, than you soo much for giving me a detailed answer:smile:

wont some unis discriminaate you for doing your A2's before applying?, and how would offer's work?

i know i can do much better next year, as i simply did not work hard enough:angry: to get A grades

so the process is, getting back to school, focusing on A2's getting the best possible grades, then applying next september???

at the moment I am eligible for some widening access courses, ie the kings edmp, but if i am predicted AAA, some widening acess courses will say "apply for the standard course", but im in serious trouble beacuse of my AS grdes

Universities won't discriminate you if you take a gap year.

I'd recommend taking a gap year, doing loads of work experience and other things like that which will help your application, and then:

-if you get AAA or above you can apply to the standard course during your gap year, along with the extra maturity you've gained in your gap year and the valuable work experience and whatever else you've been doing, and you'll have a better chance of getting offers than someone who applies with BBCC at AS

-if you don't, then take a gap year and apply to the widening access courses you're thinking of, and the extra W/E will still benefit your application.
Original post by Ellieellie1
Drop maths. 3 sciences may be boring but you have a higher chance of actually getting the grades, plus as far as i know, none of the uni's specifically ask for maths..

None specifically ask for physics either.
Reply 7
Universities won't discriminate you if you take a gap year.

I'd recommend taking a gap year, doing loads of work experience and other things like that which will help your application, and then:

-if you get AAA or above you can apply to the standard course during your gap year, along with the extra maturity you've gained in your gap year and the valuable work experience and whatever else you've been doing, and you'll have a better chance of getting offers than someone who applies with BBCC at AS

-if you don't, then take a gap year and apply to the widening access courses you're thinking of, and the extra W/E will still benefit your application.

so you apply after the A2 year in september, and i should use next year to do as much work experience as i can, and so unis would definately choose someone with AAA at A2 than somebody with BBCC at AS, but is predicted AAA???
If C1 was the only maths exam you messed up, why not keep maths and just resit the C1 exam? Some unis ask for AAAb so if you drop something you got a b in at AS (physics) then work hard at getting As in everything else, wouldn't that work? Just an idea :smile:
so you apply after the A2 year in september, and i should use next year to do as much work experience as i can, and so unis would definately choose someone with AAA at A2 than somebody with BBCC at AS, but is predicted AAA???

You've just finished your AS levels, so you would apply in September 2014 as opposed to next month. :smile: And yes, they would - one is a sure thing, because they've already got the grades, and one is doubtful to get the grades because a) going from BBCC to AAA is not exactly commonplace and b) are you sure you're going to get predicted AAA anyway? But if you apply after you've gone from BBCC to AAA, you'll be able to prove to them that you're resourceful and a hard worker :smile: and yes, use A2 year (and your gap year) for as much work experience as possible.
Reply 10
You've just finished your AS levels, so you would apply in September 2014 as opposed to next month. :smile: And yes, they would - one is a sure thing, because they've already got the grades, and one is doubtful to get the grades because a) going from BBCC to AAA is not exactly commonplace and b) are you sure you're going to get predicted AAA anyway? But if you apply after you've gone from BBCC to AAA, you'll be able to prove to them that you're resourceful and a hard worker :smile: and yes, use A2 year (and your gap year) for as much work experience as possible.

thank you so much, i now understand why it could be beneficial to take a gap year... so the work experience i take in the A2 year i can write on personal statement, but what i do in the year after is personal work experience...

i also have set my sights on the kings emdp, but there are a few others aswell

normally, the grade requirements are slightly lower, and if I apply to these after a gap year, I would do an extra year that I could have avoided

would i have a chance of appling to these now? ( I am seriously thinking of a gap year)
thank you so much, i now understand why it could be beneficial to take a gap year... so the work experience i take in the A2 year i can write on personal statement, but what i do in the year after is personal work experience...

i also have set my sights on the kings emdp, but there are a few others aswell

normally, the grade requirements are slightly lower, and if I apply to these after a gap year, I would do an extra year that I could have avoided

would i have a chance of appling to these now? ( I am seriously thinking of a gap year)

Yep, you can write your A2 work experience on your personal statement if you apply during a gap year, but if you apply next month you can't.

As for a gap year being an extra year you could've avoided, medical school is far longer than that, and a gap year would give you an extra year at home and to amass experience and take up a hobby and things before you're plunged into the insane world of medicine :smile:

But if you've got your heart set on going to uni in a year's time, I would recommend applying for courses like the emdp :smile:
Reply 12
Yep, you can write your A2 work experience on your personal statement if you apply during a gap year, but if you apply next month you can't.

As for a gap year being an extra year you could've avoided, medical school is far longer than that, and a gap year would give you an extra year at home and to amass experience and take up a hobby and things before you're plunged into the insane world of medicine :smile:

But if you've got your heart set on going to uni in a year's time, I would recommend applying for courses like the emdp :smile:

haha thanks alot!!!!!:biggrin: , one more question may i ask if i apply next year (gap year) do i need to put my AS results on UCAS (are they required), or do i just put my 3A2's and my fourth AS???

By the way thank you soo much for the help you have given me, i couldnt have wished for anything bettter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
haha thanks alot!!!!!:biggrin: , one more question may i ask if i apply next year (gap year) do i need to put my AS results on UCAS (are they required), or do i just put my 3A2's and my fourth AS???

By the way thank you soo much for the help you have given me, i couldnt have wished for anything bettter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure, but I'd imagine you will need to put your original AS results on there. Your A2 grades will count for a lot more though.

And you're welcome :smile: I wanted to do medicine for a while so I researched it a lot :smile:
You may want to consider applying this year just for the experience of the process.. I was in a very similar position but dropped chemistry. However, as long as your predicted grades are up to scratch then you're likely to get an interview, or at very least your school (if its anything like mine) will be more willing to give you practice interviews etc. during this year if you've applied.... Although saying this, it may just end up being a lot of extra stress

Do you mind if i ask if you're at a private school? As they don't have to declare AS grades which helps a lot.....
Reply 15
Original post by Ellieellie1
You may want to consider applying this year just for the experience of the process.. I was in a very similar position but dropped chemistry. However, as long as your predicted grades are up to scratch then you're likely to get an interview, or at very least your school (if its anything like mine) will be more willing to give you practice interviews etc. during this year if you've applied.... Although saying this, it may just end up being a lot of extra stress

Do you mind if i ask if you're at a private school? As they don't have to declare AS grades which helps a lot.....

hi, thanks for the advice:smile:, yeah i dont go to a private school , so will need to declare my AS results... i would apply this year, but if i wont get any offers, i believe there is no point, even as you stated "it may just end up being a lot of extra stress", and if its avoidable i may aswell just leAVE IT... however, i have thought of applying to some foundation med degrees, such as Birmingham, KIngs,edmp...

Quick Reply

Latest