The Student Room Group

Examples of relatively low GCSE to top universities

For my GCSE's i achieved 1 A* 3 As 3 Bs and 2 Cs

There are many out there with much better grades...
recently i have performed very well in my AS levels (plus achieved an A* in a whole A level)
and I'm about to apply to uni

but im not sure if my GCSE will be a huge or small draw back

is there anyone who has gotten into any good russel group universities with relatively low GCSE grades i.e 0 A* ; 2 As ; 1 A 4 Bs or 1 A 2 Bs 6Cs etc etc
or know anyone who has
Reply 1
Well I know someone who reads politics at Oxford and he only got 1A* so I wouldn't really worry, especially if you're getting such good AS results... However I'm not sure what his other results were (All A's or similar to yours), and consistency may be something they look for.

That's all I can help with :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by rockon8912
Well I know someone who reads politics at Oxford and he only got 1A* so I wouldn't really worry, especially if you're getting such good AS results... However I'm not sure what his other results were (All A's or similar to yours), and consistency may be something they look for.

That's all I can help with :smile:

ahhh thats good to hear!
there is hope lool
Uhm, I know a kid who got an offer for Physics at Edinburgh with only 1 A*. But then he sort of underwent a transformation between IGCSEs and IB. By the look of your AS results, you're doing the same!
Reply 4
Got 4A* 3A 2B 2C at GCSE's. got into Russell group university in London.
I only got one A* at GCSE and I got an interview at Oxford for Maths, which I believe is one of their most competitive courses. with entry requirements of A*A*A. I didn't get an offer but that was because of the interview (I asked) nothing to do with my GCSEs.
Most unis will look at your AS grades over GCSEs anyway, so if they're pretty good I wouldn't let that put you off applying to Russell Group unis!
Reply 6
Original post by jessiekatieglen
I only got one A* at GCSE and I got an interview at Oxford for Maths, which I believe is one of their most competitive courses. with entry requirements of A*A*A. I didn't get an offer but that was because of the interview (I asked) nothing to do with my GCSEs.
Most unis will look at your AS grades over GCSEs anyway, so if they're pretty good I wouldn't let that put you off applying to Russell Group unis!
I also believe the entrance tests also have a bigger weighting than gcses. Which when applying for maths, there is one.
Reply 7
I got 2A*s, 2As, 5Bs and 1C (poor by TSR standards). I got offers from Southampton, Surrey and UCL for Mechanical Engineering! Joining UCL this September. Mind you mechanical engineering isn't the most competitive subject in UCL but still. If the admissions tutors see improvement then you have a high chance of getting offers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by nmanvi
For my GCSE's i achieved 1 A* 3 As 3 Bs and 2 Cs

There are many out there with much better grades...
recently i have performed very well in my AS levels (plus achieved an A* in a whole A level)
and I'm about to apply to uni

but im not sure if my GCSE will be a huge or small draw back

is there anyone who has gotten into any good russel group universities with relatively low GCSE grades i.e 0 A* ; 2 As ; 1 A 4 Bs or 1 A 2 Bs 6Cs etc etc
or know anyone who has

Well I got all b's with uni with the exception of an A in History. I got into a Russell group uni in London. My friend achieved possibly worse gcse's than me, and got into a Russell group uni too!

Quick Reply

Latest