qr95
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Iv just finished college A levels and got decent results. Before going to university I want to do AAT level 2 and 3. I start in September and am looking to finish level 2 in three months could some recommend to some resources such as revision notes or past papers.

Im not sure if I've posted this in the right area but any help will be very much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
professortobe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you doing that at college? Or accountancy school? I ask because I did this myself and different types of colleges provide different levels of support and resources.

To answer your question as I recall the my AAT website is pretty good you will get a login once you register on the course. You can get all the past papers there I think and other useful training materials links as well. Also they have a careers section which is cool too.

Also check with your college or school whether they have any suggested pre reading materials so you will be well prepared.

Personally I found once you get your head around double entry bookkeeping that's pretty much your whole level 2 done so maybe get a book from your local library on the subject?? Any more specific questions feel free to ask me. It was a few years ago but I still have a basic idea.

Good luck and enjoy I loved it and sure you will too

Posted from TSR Mobile
AAT Advisor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

I work for AAT so thought I may be able to offer some advice.

As previously mentioned, as a registered student member of AAT, you be will provided with access to a number of study resources such as practice assessments and green light testing.

In terms of what is covered within the qualification, I would be more than happy to get an information pack sent out to you which should help with preparations if you like.

Have you considered how you are going to study the qualification?

There are flexible study options which allow the student to choose how they study the course.

Dan.
qr95
Rep:
?
(Original post by DanWinterburn)
Hi,

I work for AAT so thought I may be able to offer some advice.

As previously mentioned, as a registered student member of AAT, you be will provided with access to a number of study resources such as practice assessments and green light testing.

In terms of what is covered within the qualification, I would be more than happy to get an information pack sent out to you which should help with preparations if you like.

Have you considered how you are going to study the qualification?

There are flexible study options which allow the student to choose how they study the course.

Dan.
Thanks for your reply. Im studying at a college and I'm taking the fast track route AAT level 2 and 3 in one year. I could of went to university but decided to take the AAT route. Was this a good decision? Also what can I do after the level 3...what is the most common route to becoming an accountant.

How many exams are there in level 2?
vivaronaldoo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey Dan.

My religion forbids me to deal with interest transactions. Could interest be avoided in accountancy. Sorry for such an awkward question.
Knalchemist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by vivaronaldoo)
Hey Dan.

My religion forbids me to deal with interest transactions. Could interest be avoided in accountancy. Sorry for such an awkward question.
...No.
vivaronaldoo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Knalchemist)
...No.
I asked a friend he said he doesn't witness interest transaction don't know who to believe...what other sector can I work in...so the AAT qualification is no use to me :/
Knalchemist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by vivaronaldoo)
I asked a friend he said he doesn't witness interest transaction don't know who to believe...what other sector can I work in...so the AAT qualification is no use to me :/
My partner has studied AAT Level 2, and had started AAT Level 3. He has to deal with some interest transactions, such as how much interest an account has made within a time period, as well as interest from debtors / creditors.
qr95
Rep:
?
My partner has studied AAT Level 2, and had started AAT Level 3. He has to deal with some interest transactions, such as how much interest an account has made within a time period, as well as interest from debtors / creditors.
Maybe it depends on the the firm. How long did his level 2 take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Knalchemist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by qr95)
Maybe it depends on the the firm. How long did his level 2 take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
He studied his AAT part time one evening per week for one academic year, as he works full time.

You learn this stuff on the AAT courses, that is why I said there is no way of getting out of it, you have to learn it. So, it doesn't 'depend on the firm'.
qr95
Rep:
?
He studied his AAT part time one evening per week for one academic year, as he works full time.

You learn this stuff on the AAT courses, that is why I said there is no way of getting out of it, you have to learn it. So, it doesn't 'depend on the firm'.
Yeah you are obviously going to learn about interest its different witnessing or recording a real transaction

Posted from TSR Mobile
Knalchemist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by qr95)
Yeah you are obviously going to learn about interest its different witnessing or recording a real transaction

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know the posters religion or anything about it, but I would assume that if he is forbidden to deal with those kinds of transactions, then surely he'd be forbidden from learning about it and having to do 'fake' transactions so to speak.

That is the only reason I said no to the avoiding interest in accountancy question.

However, it would be very difficult to get a job in accountancy I would imagine if you constantly have to ask prospective employers "Does this role entail dealing with interest transactions" lol.
qr95
Rep:
?
I don't know the posters religion or anything about it, but I would assume that if he is forbidden to deal with those kinds of transactions, then surely he'd be forbidden from learning about it and having to do 'fake' transactions so to speak.

That is the only reason I said no to the avoiding interest in accountancy question.

However, it would be very difficult to get a job in accountancy I would imagine if you constantly have to ask prospective employers "Does this role entail dealing with interest transactions" lol.
The fake transaction is not real therefore they can learn it but not to do it with real money. Hopefully dan can answer what jobs he can go into ...maybe taxation or something so his AAT qualification is of use

Posted from TSR Mobile
JHart1865
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by qr95)
Thanks for your reply. Im studying at a college and I'm taking the fast track route AAT level 2 and 3 in one year. I could of went to university but decided to take the AAT route. Was this a good decision? Also what can I do after the level 3...what is the most common route to becoming an accountant.

How many exams are there in level 2?
Hi, I'm not 100% sure if you'll have enough UCAS points, but PWC do a head start programme which is an alternative route to accountancy from the traditional Uni route. It essentially takes four years to complete and comprises a coupe of years of AAT study followed by chartered training with ICAEW. As I said, I'm not sure if you have the points to do it with PWC, but maybe other (smaller) firms will offer the same type of programme.

I'm fully qualified with the AAT, but still went to University as trying to get a training contract is very difficult without a degree. However, I'm a mature student, so you could do the fast track and just see it as a year out, and take a shot at the jobs market. AAT level three also carries 160 UCAS points, which makes meeting firm minimums a little easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
qr95
Rep:
?
(Original post by JHart1865)
Hi, I'm not 100% sure if you'll have enough UCAS points, but PWC do a head start programme which is an alternative route to accountancy from the traditional Uni route. It essentially takes four years to complete and comprises a coupe of years of AAT study followed by chartered training with ICAEW. As I said, I'm not sure if you have the points to do it with PWC, but maybe other (smaller) firms will offer the same type of programme.

I'm fully qualified with the AAT, but still went to University as trying to get a training contract is very difficult without a degree. However, I'm a mature student, so you could do the fast track and just see it as a year out, and take a shot at the jobs market. AAT level three also carries 160 UCAS points, which makes meeting firm minimums a little easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awesome! Im doing level 2 and 3 in one year. You've qualified really quickly.

Someone asked earlier is interest transactions avoidable in accountancy or could you just work in a different department such as tax ( religious beliefs )

Posted from TSR Mobile
JHart1865
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by qr95)
Awesome! Im doing level 2 and 3 in one year. You've qualified really quickly. I have about 280 UCAS points from A levels.

Someone asked earlier is interest transactions avoidable in accountancy or could you just work in a different department such as tax ( religious beliefs )

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd imagine it would be impossible to do any accounting qualification without interest being taught, unless there's a specific Islamic accounting qualification that I'm not aware of.
There's a whole area of sharia accounting and standards etc. plus there's Islamic banks. So there's plenty of options that will cater to religious beliefs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gnomes&Knights
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by qr95)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was also wondering that as well. I am hoping to take AAT Accounting level 2 in February this year. Is interest transactions taught in level 2? I don't think there is anything wrong in learning about Interest, just doing it is forbidden. Am I right?

Note: I am only doing the course for my gap year before going uni so will not really purse a career in accountancy.
vivaronaldoo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Raymat)
I was also wondering that as well. I am hoping to take AAT Accounting level 2 in February this year. Is interest transactions taught in level 2? I don't think there is anything wrong in learning about Interest, just doing it is forbidden. Am I right?

Note: I am only doing the course for my gap year before going uni so will not really purse a career in accountancy.
Not much about interest in level 2. I don't see a problem with studying it. Level 2 is very basic. You could easily do level 2 and 3 in one year.
Rez-1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good decision. I got my first job offer after completing my AAT from Osborne Training Centre. They offered me a job placement for 3 months after the training programme which helped me to develop my skills, confidence level and excellent CV . In regards to building a career I would recon do AAT first then university degree.
vivaronaldoo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rez-1989)
Good decision. I got my first job offer after completing my AAT from Osborne Training Centre. They offered me a job placement for 3 months after the training programme which helped me to develop my skills, confidence level and excellent CV . In regards to building a career I would recon do AAT first then university degree.
Just an update. I passsed everything first time. Exams were very easy because past papers were pretty much identical. Now I'm in a completely different career!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads