The Student Room Group

Nursing placements

Do student nurses go on placement alone? Or are they put in pairs and go to. Placement together? Or do a group of people get sent to the same placement? The thought of being the only student nurse going to a placement alone without fellow students terrifies me!
Reply 1
depends on the clinical area. You could be on a ward with other students, but they might be from different years or different groups at uni so you may not know them. If you're working with a smaller clinical team such as a DN team you might be on placement and be the only student with that team.
Reply 2
Original post by needsomeadvice12
Do student nurses go on placement alone? Or are they put in pairs and go to. Placement together? Or do a group of people get sent to the same placement? The thought of being the only student nurse going to a placement alone without fellow students terrifies me!

Depends on where you go - if you go somewhere like a ward then you are bound to be with other students, although they won't necessarily be the same year intake as you and could be 2nd or 3rd years. If you go on a community placement in a small team then you would likely be on your own.

However, more or less students both have their pros and cons. I've found that I often prefer placements with less students - you get more time with your mentor and other clinical staff, placements I've been on with a lot of students you can sometimes feel like there are staff who don't like you all 'hanging out' together for some reason. I've also experienced working with 2nd and 3rd year students who think they're above you for some reason. Saying this, having students around can be good, my last ward placement was with two students and we all became really good friends and I found that it really helped me through the experience having people there with me.

So, please don't be terrified! Students or no students, it doesn't really matter and at the end of the day you are there for you.
Reply 3
Much like what has already been said above, I have been the only student on a placement and then on a differemt placement there were three of us from the same cohort.

It doesn't really matter whether there's just you or not. Sometimes (if you're on a placement with someone you don't get along with) it can actually be more difficult than being alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending