The Student Room Group

Anyone study A Level Human Biology via distance learning?

Hi all

I'm hoping to study Physiotherapy at degree level as a mature student but to qualify the Uni I want to study with say I require Human Biology or Biology A Level (or some others qualifications but I don't think I would enjoy studying those as much).

I was thinking Human Biology would be more applicable than full Biology but cannot Human Biology with a distance learning establishment.
i can find unaccredited sites but not any under AQA, OCR or Edexcel.
i can find Biology with respected distance learning sites though.

has anyone studied A Level Human Biology via distance learning? If so which site did you find this and was it with the AQA, OCR or Edexcel exam boards?

i posted on here yesterday and a kind person commented that Human Biology is less respected than Biology so may go for that in the end (I have an OT friend who is going to gauge the opinions of her Physio friends at work for me but I just wondered if any students could help).

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
I'm hoping to do the same course, also as a mature student and also considering the usefulness and relevance of various foundation study, such as access courses etc. I haven't been able to find distance human biology a'level although I think I did see mention of level 2 (is that AS level) with the Open College (or could have been OU, my brain is a bit confused with it all!) I'd personally rather do human biology than biology but interesting what you say about biology possibly carrying more regard . . .there's a local health focused access course I could do but as I have a first degree (in dance) I'm not sure a lot of the course is going to be necessary - another thought was to do an NVQ alongside a part-tme HCA role for example to get actual experience and a vocational qualification at the same time. Am currently trying to find out from the programme head (at UWE, Bristol) which of these may be the best route. It feels like a significant challenge to even get on to the course doesn't it! Anyway, just wanted to take the opportunity to share a few thoughts as it sounds like we may be in the same boat! Cheers.
Hi, I'm in the same situation.

Had any luck since?

I've found one regulation by OLQA, one of the providers is at http://www.ukonlinecourses.co.uk/HUMAN-BIOLOGY-COURSE-LEVEL3-DIPLOMA but there doesn't seem to be any other HB qualifications available for distance learning. Not that I've found anyway....

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you come across any other providers...
Reply 3
Hi,
Looking at getting access to a physiotherapy course as a mature student too. Looks like A level biology is the best way. OU Human Biology course could be interesting, but very expensive!!
Iain
Iain.
Reply 4
I got onto a Physiotherapy course via an access course. A uni lecturer recommended OU Human Biology SK277, and I'm really pleased I studied it as EVERYTHING studied in this course was relevant and it really helped me on the Physio course. Yes, the course is expensive, but all four books are available on ebay/amazon if you don't need to actually gain the qualification; the dvd's accompanying it aren't really all that necessary to understand the text.
If you are already studying physiotherapy, I also recommend you buy the books to help in your studies.
You don't need any 'distance learning' programs. I self taught myself and am on track for an A* in Biology.
Hi Unbroken Oath, I am looking into doing A-level in Biology (alongside with 2 other). I am a mature student (25) applying for Dental Hygiene and Therapy. Could you tell me what books/materials would be useful?? many thanks
Original post by k.angelika75
Hi Unbroken Oath, I am looking into doing A-level in Biology (alongside with 2 other). I am a mature student (25) applying for Dental Hygiene and Therapy. Could you tell me what books/materials would be useful?? many thanks

I'm currently self-teaching Chemistry but I can help you because I did have to do all of my Bio exams in the same year last year (came out with an A).

Just a few questions. What universities do you have in mind? Are you dead set on Dental Hygiene and Therapy? Are you good at Mathematics? How many hours a day are you able to commit to study & revision?
Original post by High Stakes
I'm currently self-teaching Chemistry but I can help you because I did have to do all of my Bio exams in the same year last year (came out with an A).

Just a few questions. What universities do you have in mind? Are you dead set on Dental Hygiene and Therapy? Are you good at Mathematics? How many hours a day are you able to commit to study & revision?

Hi, yes I really want to do Dental Hygiene and Therapy or Dip Dental Hygiene. I will apply to Portsmouth, Cardiff, Kings College, Exeter, Bristol. I was thinking about doing Chemistry as well plus the third A-level, I'm just worried I don't have much time left as planning to sit it in May/June 2016, so I could apply to Uni for 2017 entry. I've got A'level equivalents, but they won't be very useful (History, Politics). I'm not too bad at Maths and I think I could spend around 5 hours during the week and around 12 weekends ( as I am working full time) any help will be much appreciated!!
Reply 9
How did u self teach? I would like to do this also. Thanks,

Nikki
Reply 10
Hello, I believe we have the same interests im 19 and I am currently doing the Dental Nursing qualification and want to apply for Dental Hygiene and Therapy for the 2017 intake, but need a science related subject as I did health and social care in A levels. The A level you are doing is online?
Reply 11
Hey I am in a similar situation,
I am doing the dental nursing qualificaton and want to do a As level science related subejct ( Bio or Human Bio) to apply for the Dental Hygiene And therapy for 2017.

Are you doing yours online? And the duration?
Reply 12
Same situation again here. I'd love to change careers in the future to possibly do physiotherapy. I'd much rather do human biology and agree it would be better to do it as a level but it's so hard to find. I'm interested in the comments about the OU course. I've done a couple of OU courses before so know what it's like.

I've been a medical secretary for around 13 years now so have gained masses of medical knowledge, I'm 32 with baby number 2 on the way & just feel I want to do more than I currently do. Changes wouldn't happen for me for a while I think with my growing family but I've been looking at human biology for ages now so still have that desire.
Hi
I have just been told I am over experience to do the foundation course in healthcare to get me onto the diagnostic radiography degree. Instead I have to go and do a biology A level. Fine with me, expect I want to try and go through clearing in August 2017 and the exams are only once a year in june. Working full time do you think it is possible to do zero to A level in 3 months?
Anyone find anything else that helped with the application?
Original post by Katyforster
Hi
I have just been told I am over experience to do the foundation course in healthcare to get me onto the diagnostic radiography degree. Instead I have to go and do a biology A level. Fine with me, expect I want to try and go through clearing in August 2017 and the exams are only once a year in june. Working full time do you think it is possible to do zero to A level in 3 months?
Anyone find anything else that helped with the application?

The OP in this thread is three-and-a-half years old, so I'm going to close it now. I recommend you make a new thread for your question as you will receive more and better answers that way:smile:

Latest