The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into dentistry 2014

Hey im thinking of doing dentistry at uni, but got ACCD in my AS, considering retaking certain modules to get AS results to ABBC, (dont worry lol, retaking next year along with A2 sowill be completed in the 2 years)

but teachers predict based on what i ACTUALLY got this year(which is a problem), so what are my chances of getting into unis such as Kings (enhanced support) Dundee(AAB) or Glasgow (AAB)if im predicted A*BB?

Also do offers differ for everybody applying to the same dentistry course if accepted?
Reply 1
I don't think they will consider your application because i think getting AAB prediction is the minimum requirement for those dental unis, maybe you should try explaining to your teachers that you are applying for dentistry and see if they are willing to change the predicted grades
Original post by koshdi
Hey im thinking of doing dentistry at uni, but got ACCD in my AS, considering retaking certain modules to get AS results to ABBC, (dont worry lol, retaking next year along with A2 sowill be completed in the 2 years)

but teachers predict based on what i ACTUALLY got this year(which is a problem), so what are my chances of getting into unis such as Kings (enhanced support) Dundee(AAB) or Glasgow (AAB)if im predicted A*BB?

Also do offers differ for everybody applying to the same dentistry course if accepted?

As the poster above said explain your situation to your teachers that you need to be predicted AAB. Or alternatively do as well as you can this year and apply with your grades for September 2015!
Reply 3
Okay thanks, also is it would unis accept a year out, so a late deferred entry for dentistry?
Original post by koshdi
Okay thanks, also is it would unis accept a year out, so a late deferred entry for dentistry?

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking :colondollar: can you rephrase your question?
Reply 5
Sorry about that, i meant would unis look down on a late deferal? So say i apply through ucas this following year to begin dentistry in 2014 but dont get in (and i didn't intentionally defer in my application) would it lower my chances of getting in in 2015?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by koshdi

Unfortunately predicted grades have a lot to play in the application process, you should definitely speak to your teachers and see why they are predicting you a B instead or an A. If you can't get past that stage, you might get a bunch of rejections purely based on that.
Original post by koshdi
Sorry about that, i meant would unis look down on a late deferal? So say i apply through ucas this following year to begin dentistry in 2014 but dont get in (and i didn't intentionally defer in my application) would it lower my chances of getting in in 2015?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it shouldn't do :smile:
Reply 8
Woah, hold your horses guys.

ABB A level predictions with a definite C at AS English (My school Was the same with predictions. Total evil.)

Got interviews at Kings + Glasgow, didn't apply to Dundee. No extraordinary circumstances either.

You need a very unique Personal Statement and a high UKCAT score.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Omg thats amazing! What did you get the ABB in...?
and glasgow need AAB...So should i bother applying?
And what did u get in your ukcat if you dont mind me asking? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by koshdi
Omg thats amazing! What did you get the ABB in...?
and glasgow need AAB...So should i bother applying?
And what did u get in your ukcat if you dont mind me asking? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biology, Maths, Chemistry, in that order. Glasgow specifies in a BBB minimum at AS level... so not sure in your case. However with an A*B B prediction I'd give Kings and Dundee a shot.

UKCAT of about 725... Army thing above 680 is fine.

Quick Reply

Latest