OCR History A Coursework- Nazi Germany Watch

Sarah-D
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am entering my A2 year a sixth form and I need to get a good grade. The interpretations I am doing is on women and the Volksgemeinschaft which I am not to worried about as we will be doing this in school however the interpretations is proving to be a lot harder than I anticipated.

My question is- Assess the view that the Holocaust was the result of a predetermined plan by the Nazi regime. I have split it into 4 sections- Yes it was predetermined, The people allowed it to happen, It was gradualism or it was down to Hitler and the Nazi Regime.

If anyone can provided me with any books which would aid me in answering these four areas then that would be greatly appreciated. I have to find a historian who agrees and one who disagrees with each area along with primary sources for both sides.

If anyone can help with the structure as well that would be great.

Thank You to anyone who is able to help.

This is the link to the Mark Scheme if you want to take a look at this then you will need pages 155- 156 and page 159 for the investigations.
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/139656-...-june-2014.pdf
TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
LawKid
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We didn't study the Holocaust as it wasn't part of our A2 Germany syllabus so I haven't studied the Holocaust since Year 9 but with regard to your structure;

Start with a statement of intent so if you agree with the statement word it around that, if you disagree base your intro about that.
I.e. "The Holocaust was part of a pre-determined Nazi plan which had been at the NSDAP's roots since Hitler ascended to become leader of the party in 1921. We can see evidence of this intent in Hitler's book, Mein Kampf..."

Then go on to briefly outline what and how you are going to argue for and against this (all of this in your first paragraph/ introduction).

Throughout the essay you must then go through each of your points in detail. Don't forget to mention dates, names, conference, support for, support against, who supported, who didn't, the international reaction, etc.

For maximum impact your conclusion should resemble your introduction. I.e. "The NSDAP had long-planned to exterminate those whom they saw as 'in-human'. The Wannsee Conference goes to show just how committed to the total extermination of the Jews that Nazis really were, their plan could not have been conceived during one conference thus reinforcing the view that the NSDAP had a pre-determined plan to irradiate the Jews."

Does that make sense?

Your teachers should be able to give you examples and explain how you should structure your essays. If they don't then just ask them and I'm sure that they will help you.
LawKid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
*irradicate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sarah-D
Rep:
?
Thanks for helping me with the structure, this will be of great use for when I write it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LawKid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's ok. If you want help again, let me know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mreyow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sarah-D)
I am entering my A2 year a sixth form and I need to get a good grade. The interpretations I am doing is on women and the Volksgemeinschaft which I am not to worried about as we will be doing this in school however the interpretations is proving to be a lot harder than I anticipated.

My question is- Assess the view that the Holocaust was the result of a predetermined plan by the Nazi regime. I have split it into 4 sections- Yes it was predetermined, The people allowed it to happen, It was gradualism or it was down to Hitler and the Nazi Regime.

If anyone can provided me with any books which would aid me in answering these four areas then that would be greatly appreciated. I have to find a historian who agrees and one who disagrees with each area along with primary sources for both sides.

If anyone can help with the structure as well that would be great.

Thank You to anyone who is able to help.

This is the link to the Mark Scheme if you want to take a look at this then you will need pages 155- 156 and page 159 for the investigations.
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/139656-...-june-2014.pdf
I did this this coursework last year. It is a very tough and for the INTERPRETATIONS, your structure should lead with the POINT, do NOT lead with the Interpretation. And in order to gain high marks in AO2, you really need to evaluate the Interpretations in relation to each other, don't isolate them and evaluate them in their own right as you won't score highly.

When using your own knowledge, do not launch off into a tangent as the word limit of 2,000 words is restricting and keeping your knowledge clear and concise will help you both in explaining your point and in the word limit. If you look at the mark scheme, you only score 6/40 for own knowledge so you don't need to flaunt off an array of dates, people and such in order to try and impress the marker of your knowledge because this coursework is most certainly NOT about that.

If you need anymore help, in relation to the investigations as well, feel free to ask me anything. I'm so glad to see the back of this coursework. Good luck!
LawKid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mreyow)
I did this this coursework last year. It is a very tough and for the INTERPRETATIONS, your structure should lead with the POINT, do NOT lead with the Interpretation. And in order to gain high marks in AO2, you really need to evaluate the Interpretations in relation to each other, don't isolate them and evaluate them in their own right as you won't score highly.

When using your own knowledge, do not launch off into a tangent as the word limit of 2,000 words is restricting and keeping your knowledge clear and concise will help you both in explaining your point and in the word limit. If you look at the mark scheme, you only score 6/40 for own knowledge so you don't need to flaunt off an array of dates, people and such in order to try and impress the marker of your knowledge because this coursework is most certainly NOT about that.

If you need anymore help, in relation to the investigations as well, feel free to ask me anything. I'm so glad to see the back of this coursework. Good luck!
Well I got an A* in both GCSE and A-Level History and I flaunted my own knowledge as well as using other interpretations. A-Level History (especially the exam board that I was with) was based around forming an opinion, an argument and then using other Historian's views as evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mreyow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LawKid)
Well I got an A* in both GCSE and A-Level History and I flaunted my own knowledge as well as using other interpretations. A-Level History (especially the exam board that I was with) was based around forming an opinion, an argument and then using other Historian's views as evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not condemning anyone for doing so, I'm just saying given the tight word limit and the weight of marks for own knowledge compared to the evaluation of the interpretations, its best to keep it as minimal as possible, rather than launching off onto tangents into things not necessarily relevant and shoehorning it in at every opportunity. Yes, you are right, this coursework is most definitely about forming an opinion and takes skill. Hence, many people are devastated at their grade because its one of the only pieces of coursework I've come across which truly tests your capabilities
LawKid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mreyow)
I'm not condemning anyone for doing so, I'm just saying given the tight word limit and the weight of marks for own knowledge compared to the evaluation of the interpretations, its best to keep it as minimal as possible, rather than launching off onto tangents into things not necessarily relevant and shoehorning it in at every opportunity. Yes, you are right, this coursework is most definitely about forming an opinion and takes skill. Hence, many people are devastated at their grade because its one of the only pieces of coursework I've come across which truly tests your capabilities
To be perfectly honest, I thought this was about an exam and not coursework thus I envisaged an unlimited word count; a similar logic applies either way with regard to the structure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sarah-D
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone for your help, the world limit is very short and we have been advised to keep our own knowledge to a minimum. Thanks again, all your help is greatly appreciated.
LawKid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sarah-D)
Thanks everyone for your help, the world limit is very short and we have been advised to keep our own knowledge to a minimum. Thanks again, all your help is greatly appreciated.
It doesn't work for everyone but I liked/ like to go way over my word limit. My A2 English Literature 1st & 2nd drafts were both over double the word count. It makes you really think about what to leave in (thus leaving you with the Crème de la Crème of content). It also means that you go through the draft constantly meaning that you pick up on any spelling/ grammar mistakes and if your exam board is like mine was, you will reduce the risk of losing marks for basic mistakes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Olliejennings95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing the same question, but I've split mine into the intentionalists, structuralists and Kershaw's view of working towards the fuhrer. I've found Hitler and Nazi Germany by Stephen J. Lee, The Nazi dictatorship by Kershaw and Nazism 1919-1945 by Noakes and Pridham really useful, especially Noakes and Pridham as it is full of primary evidence you can use to test the views. Not sure if this will help in any way but I hope it does. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (70)
15.91%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (82)
18.64%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
13.86%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.91%
How can I be the best version of myself? (135)
30.68%

Watched Threads