The Student Room Group

Reading List - is it really this ridiculous?

Hey guys, David here

So I'm going to MMU in September, and I'm studying a combined honours of Psychology and Forensic Science BSc.

I've logged onto "mymmu" - I don't know if you guys of other universities have it, but it's like a website for MMU students to go on and access their emails and whatnot. Now, I'm aware that my reading list is going to be substantial, what with two wordy subjects like these - but this takes the proverbial, so to speak.

The "Essential Reading" of each section of my course, from what I can gather, consists of 26 items.
The "Items For Purchase" is 9 items - what does this even mean?
And then "Further Reading" is 51 items.

Can somebody do me a solid and help me with what I need - preferably somebody who has studied one or both of these courses :smile: Thanks!

-David
Manchester Metropolitan University
Hey, I don't think i bought more than 2 textbooks over my first two years at university. You should mostly be using free downloadable papers online for psychology essays, so books aren't always necessary. I would wait til your at university and see what copies of books you can't get at the library (either because there aren't any copies or that copies are always taken) THEN buy books based on what you know you will use and what you know you can't get at the library.

+
Im sure they don't want you to read everything on the further reading list, or even anything if you don't want to. Its probably just there as a guide to any good books if anyone is interested.
I basically had one book for every module (and we did 6 modules a year). They ranged in price from about £12 to £40. However, you don't HAVE to buy them as the uni library will have copies, but you may choose to as it's easier.

As has been said, I lot of reading will be journal articles you can download for free through your university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending