The Student Room Group

Ask A Schizophrenic Anything!

I have been mentally ill since I was 14 and I'm just going to start my A levels now. Ask me anything about being mentally ill. I've been in mental hospital twice and I'm much better now.

Scroll to see replies

May sound stupid, but what is Schizophrenia really like? Do you really see hallucinated people?
How accurate do TV show portray Schizophrenia sufferer?
I am sure Mental hospital isn't all people groaning, scraming and running around, but what is the general procedure, staff and atmosphere like?

Sorry for asking for so many questions, Hope you get well soon!! :smile:
Reply 2
When I was first admitted to hospital I did hallucinate. I was in a dream a dream where I was awake, my imagination took over my mind and could have been very dangerous if I wasn't under supervision in a hospital. The hallucinations weren't of the outside world although they were very overpowering.
I don't watch much tv it made me very paranoid I though they were talking about me and what I had done. I watch tv now but find those kinds of programmes (documentaries) uninteresting. I love programmes about architecture thiough.
The general procedure is you're are locked in a ward unable to leave/go outside. The staff observe your behaviour and psychiatrists diagnose you based on a psychologists report.
The atmosphere is very disturbing there are some seriously ill people in there who will never get better.

Questions are fine. I'm kind of ok now. Thanks.
Reply 3
How long did it take you to get diagnosed?

I ask, because a close family member has been sectioned twice this year for psychosis and has been on various medications (e.g. olanzapine, haloperidol) though their psychosis doesn't seem to respond well to medication. To me it looks like textbook schizophrenia (I'm a psych graduate). They have mentioned this, but it hasn't been officially diagnosed yet.

I suppose the diagnosis isn't important; treating the symptoms is the important thing. Still though, it'd be nice to know what he actually has and what it will be like for him in the long-term.
Original post by Arketec
When I was first admitted to hospital I did hallucinate. I was in a dream a dream where I was awake, my imagination took over my mind and could have been very dangerous if I wasn't under supervision in a hospital. The hallucinations weren't of the outside world although they were very overpowering.
I don't watch much tv it made me very paranoid I though they were talking about me and what I had done. I watch tv now but find those kinds of programmes (documentaries) uninteresting. I love programmes about architecture thiough.
The general procedure is you're are locked in a ward unable to leave/go outside. The staff observe your behaviour and psychiatrists diagnose you based on a psychologists report.
The atmosphere is very disturbing there are some seriously ill people in there who will never get better.

Questions are fine. I'm kind of ok now. Thanks.

It must be hard having to go through that as a 14 year old, as any age actually, I really admire you for that!!
It must be really stressful in that kind of environment, being watched and having negativity around you.
I'm interested in Psychology and those stuff but never actually realise how much a mental illness sufferer have to take on, so this give me a stroke of reality :yes:
I don't really know much about Architecture but I like those old Baroque and Rococo style:wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Kazbian
How long did it take you to get diagnosed?

I ask, because a close family member has been sectioned twice this year for psychosis and has been on various medications (e.g. olanzapine, haloperidol) though their psychosis doesn't seem to respond well to medication. To me it looks like textbook schizophrenia (I'm a psych graduate). They have mentioned this, but it hasn't been officially diagnosed yet.

I suppose the diagnosis isn't important; treating the symptoms is the important thing. Still though, it'd be nice to know what he actually has and what it will be like for him in the long-term.

My first diagnosis was a drug induced psychotic episode. Then when I was re-admitted not long after I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. This happened when I was in Hospital and after about a week of having been admitted.

I suffered from an early age how early is difficult to say. When I was sectioned (admitted) I was very ill and it was very noticeable. I was hallucinating and made some very weird suggestions. I needed to goto hospital as I was a danger to myself-I could have quite easily had an accident. And possibly a danger to others.
If you mean how long did the process take- I went to the doctors foe an assessment A psychiatrist was there who interviewed me. Then I was told I would have to goto hospital. I tried to run away but the police caught up with me. Then I was taken to hospital. I'll never forget waiting outside the ward thinking I would never get out again. Of course I did I wasn't that bad after a month or so.

TBH hospital is for people who are a danger to others and themselves. It's a last option.

I was on olanzapine and it did help though when I was in hospital I was given much stronger drugs by injection.

Sorry I can't help any more than telling you of my own experiences.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by FreakyKrazie
It must be hard having to go through that as a 14 year old, as any age actually, I really admire you for that!!
It must be really stressful in that kind of environment, being watched and having negativity around you.
I'm interested in Psychology and those stuff but never actually realise how much a mental illness sufferer have to take on, so this give me a stroke of reality :yes:
I don't really know much about Architecture but I like those old Baroque and Rococo style:wink:

It was difficult when I was 14 because I had no one to talk to. I kept it a secret until I was admitted to hospital. My mum was the only person who could tell there was something wrong. I didn't want help as I was enjoying my teenage years Raving and stuff.

Architecture really helped me out when I left hospital as I had to leave where I lived because of the drugs scene I was in. I spent my time in the library reading. Until the scene caught up with me again which was when I moved to a different town/city But that was good because it meant a new library with new books about architecture.

Original post by Arketec
It was difficult when I was 14 because I had no one to talk to. I kept it a secret until I was admitted to hospital. My mum was the only person who could tell there was something wrong. I didn't want help as I was enjoying my teenage years Raving and stuff.

Architecture really helped me out when I left hospital as I had to leave where I lived because of the drugs scene I was in. I spent my time in the library reading. Until the scene caught up with me again which was when I moved to a different town/city But that was good because it meant a new library with new books about architecture.

It must be confusing, if it was me, I propably would doubt anything will be helpful.

Its interesting how a hobby or interest can help people overcome difficulties. Architecture are really fascinating but seems to hard for me to understand. :redface:

I am guessing you want to/study Architecture??
What's the name of your other personality?

Joking calm down

EDIT: maybe a little insensitive, soz
EDIT: dislike count - 24. I was a point that people often misinterpret schizophrenia for multiple personality disorder
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by InternetGangster
What's the name of your other personality?

Joking calm down

LoL I have a good sense of humour was always cracking jokes at school.

My other personality is King George III
Reply 10
It must be confusing, if it was me, I propably would doubt anything will be helpful.

Its interesting how a hobby or interest can help people overcome difficulties. Architecture are really fascinating but seems to hard for me to understand. :redface:

I am guessing you want to/study Architecture??

I would like to study architecture but don't feel I could take the responsibility. So I'm going to study art history.

It is confusing. Though I'm a lot more stable now that I receive counselling am on drugs (prescription drugs).
Reply 11
Original post by Arketec
My first diagnosis was a drug induced psychotic episode. Then when I was re-admitted not long after I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. This happened when I was in Hospital and after about a week of having been admitted.

I suffered from an early age how early is difficult to say. When I was sectioned (admitted) I was very ill and it was very noticeable. I was hallucinating and made some very weird suggestions. I needed to goto hospital as I was a danger to myself-I could have quite easily had an accident. And possibly a danger to others.
If you mean how long did the process take- I went to the doctors foe an assessment A psychiatrist was there who interviewed me. Then I was told I would have to goto hospital. I tried to run away but the police caught up with me. Then I was taken to hospital. I'll never forget waiting outside the ward thinking I would never get out again. Of course I did I wasn't that bad after a month or so.

TBH hospital is for people who are a danger to others and themselves. It's a last option.

I was on olanzapine and it did help though when I was in hospital I was given much stronger drugs by injection.

Sorry I can't help any more than telling you of my own experiences.

Yeah, I agree about the hospital thing, but my brother definitely was a danger to himself and other people as well (e.g. he physically attacked me because he thought I was setting him up and like you he ran from the police). He's been hearing voices for years, but it seemed to get so much worse this year and no medication has reduced it enough yet. He has problems with his white blood cell levels, so he can't use a few antipsychotics including clozapine i.e. the one that is supposed to work when people don't respond to the other antipsychotics, but it has serious side effects (though I'm guessing you know all that stuff already).

Anyway, that's going on a bit (sorry!), but it looks like you were diagnosed fairly quickly. The psychiatrist said to us they don't like to diagnose too quickly, because the diagnosis itself isn't that helpful and you get a more accurate view of the symptoms over time. I know that this view is fairly recent and they used to diagnose quicker. Also, maybe it's different for different mental health teams across the country?

I'm glad you're much better though. :smile: It's an awful thing to go through (and that's understating it).
Original post by Arketec
I would like to study architecture but don't feel I could take the responsibility. So I'm going to study art history.

It is confusing. Though I'm a lot more stable now that I receive counselling am on drugs (prescription drugs).

With great talent comes with great responsibilities :tongue:
Might as well give it a go:wink:
Art history is hard also,what I think anyway but what is it like?
Is it about different style of Arts through History with specific artists?(that was obvious one)
Reply 13
Original post by Kazbian
Yeah, I agree about the hospital thing, but my brother definitely was a danger to himself and other people as well (e.g. he physically attacked me because he thought I was setting him up and like you he ran from the police). He's been hearing voices for years, but it seemed to get so much worse this year and no medication has reduced it enough yet. He has problems with his white blood cell levels, so he can't use a few antipsychotics including clozapine i.e. the one that is supposed to work when people don't respond to the other antipsychotics, but it has serious side effects (though I'm guessing you know all that stuff already).

Anyway, that's going on a bit (sorry!), but it looks like you were diagnosed fairly quickly. The psychiatrist said to us they don't like to diagnose too quickly, because the diagnosis itself isn't that helpful and you get a more accurate view of the symptoms over time. I know that this view is fairly recent and they used to diagnose quicker. Also, maybe it's different for different mental health teams across the country?

I'm glad you're much better though. :smile: It's an awful thing to go through (and that's understating it).

Thanks, I think clozapine was the drug I was injected with in hospital. The side effects were horrible I suffered from paralysis I don't know if that was due to the drugs or psychosis. Hearing voices is one of the symptoms that has remained with me. I hate it because it brings back memories of the darker side to drugs... the violent personalities, the thugs.

The psychiatrist said he didn't want to diagnose me the first time I was in hospital it was the second time in a different hospital I was diagnosed schizophrenic. I hate it I can't tell anyone that I am and will probably get a rediagnosis or not tell anyone that I am.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Is your condition, on the whole, a dark, upsetting and horrible thing to have? That's my idea of it, but I can also imagine it just being dark and ominous just because of the way mental illness is portrayed in films and the fact I don't know what it's like. Is it perhaps just normal for you and just how you live your life, with others telling you it's wrong?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
Reply 15
With great talent comes with great responsibilities :tongue:
Might as well give it a go:wink:
Art history is hard also,what I think anyway but what is it like?
Is it about different style of Arts through History with specific artists?(that was obvious one)

Yeah I just wouldn't want a building to fall down around my ears and then it all to come out that I'm a schizophrenic. I mean imagine if people died because of my miscalculations. I couldn't handle that. I have said to myself that if I become succesful enough and could afford it I would do a second course in architecture if I felt well enough. Thanks for the support.

I love art history and yes it's all about different periods, styles & artists.

Reply 16
Original post by Arketec
The psychiatrist said he didn't want to diagnose me the first time I was in hospital it was the second time in a different hospital I was diagnosed schizophrenic. I hate it I can't tell anyone that I am and will probably get a rediagnosis or not tell anyone that I am.

Yeah, the stigma is fairly awful. :/ We've come far from where we used to be in terms of understanding mental health, but people still can be judgmental. It is gradually getting better.
Reply 17
Original post by PatrickB
Is your condition, on the whole, a dark, upsetting and horrible thing to have? That's my idea of it, but I can also imagine it just being dark and ominous just because of the way mental illness is portrayed in films and the fact I don't know what it's like. Is it perhaps just normal for you and just how you live your life, with others telling you it's wrong?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP

I actually enjoy the darker side to life and there were moments when I was in hospital that I was really enjoying the hallucinations, delusions etc. It was like free drugs.
It is quite normal with others telling me I was wrong. But it was also dangerous I could have quite easily killed myself in an accident i.e. got run over when I was really tripping.
Reply 18
Original post by Kazbian
Yeah, the stigma is fairly awful. :/ We've come far from where we used to be in terms of understanding mental health, but people still can be judgmental. It is gradually getting better.

Things are a lot better now. There are people in hospital that have been there since the second world war and because the law hasn't been changed they aren't allowed to leave and will be there 'til they die. Which is sad really.
Reply 19
Okay that's the first round of questions about Schizophrenia. I think I'll just explain that although I'm still ill I am a lot better now than I was when I was in hospital.
I'm doing A level online with the NEC and hope to be studying art history with the oxford university department of continuing education next year. The course is a part time degree course which meets once a week in the evening. The work load is about half the amount of a degree course proper and runs for four years leaving the final year which I hope to do with the Open University. The spare time I will have I'm going to spend on being an artist and fashion design. I also make music on my computer and am designing a magazine. Hopefully I'll have built a website by next year with which I will sell my Clothes, art & publish my magazine on.

Back to schizophrenia and my condition- I feel as though some traumatic experiences in my childhood, my elder brother being taken into care and two children getting run over within my first month at school and my experiences as a teenager and gang violence -of which I was not involved I'm a pacifist coupled with my long term drug abuse lead to me after a long bout of depression and a continuous reversed sleep pattern -which lasted 'til I was admitted to hospital- being schizophrenic.

Let me try to explain- I took acid LSD when I was 15 and because I liked it so much and because I wasn't at school I took a lot. At one point I had 100 tabs of which I took maybe 30. Then I got into XTC which I took for a couple of years before mixing the two which was when I was admitted to Mental Hospital.

When I first went to hospital I felt completely absorbed in a dream world I had delusions of grandeur and I was hearing voices, extremely paranoid and thought I'd been set up to fail.

I've got to stop now I feel quite ill.
CU Tomorrow.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest