The Student Room Group

Applying abroad in the states~

Well if this is in the wrong aprt of the forums sorry, my bad D:

Anyhow, my intentions are to apply to several universities in the states and in Mainland Europe, sorry to sound like such a dizzy head but im not sure when you can start sending applications in,requirements etc, iv looked at the course but i'd really appreciate if someone could give me some links to sites that give me the general info on when the uni start taking applications etc

Reply 1
Original post by Proud_Student

Anyhow, my intentions are to apply to several universities in the states and in Mainland Europe, sorry to sound like such a dizzy head but im not sure when you can start sending applications in,requirements etc, iv looked at the course but i'd really appreciate if someone could give me some links to sites that give me the general info on when the uni start taking applications etc

I don't know much about it myself but if there isn't any information on the universities webpage then I would just email the universities directly.
Original post by Proud_Student

I'm quite knowledgeable on this area as I'm looking to do the same in a year's time, so I'll be glad to help. :smile:

Regarding courses, in the states you don't apply to a specific course as an undergraduate, you apply to the university as a whole. The reason for this is usually because you can choose your major(course basically) anywhere between the first week to your second year of university. You definitely have more leeway to try out several classes before deciding.

As for requirements, the admissions system over in the states is more holistic (i.e. they take academics, extracurriculars and standardised test scores and determine your suitability) therefore you compared to other applicants instead of a set of predetermined entry requirements (e.g AAAB). The general rule is that the higher you go in the rankings the more competitive admissions will be thus you need to have the appropriate level of academics to even be in with a shot - that is to say at a Stanford, for example, you're generally expected to have at least AAAAA at higher on top of extracurriculars you're passionate about.

You apply to the university a year before you intend to actually enter, if you want to apply to university for 2014 entry, you would have to apply by January 2014. Bear in mind, you can also apply early with ether early action(a non-binding early application usual due in by November the year before) or early decision(this is binding, so you'll have to attend no matter what if you're selected, usually due in by November as well)

Will you be applying for financial aid? Also, what year are you currently in?

Quick Reply