The Student Room Group

B in AS economics, applying for Econ... Disadvantage for top 10?

AS results are: Maths A (91%), Chemistry A (87%), Economics B (78%) and a C in Biology. I'm also doing an EPQ in an Economics topic and attending several economics lectures and workshops at the University of Birmingham.

My predictions are likely to be A*AA and I will be applying for Economics at these universities:

Bristol A*AA

UCL A*AA
Birmingham AAA
Nottingham AAA
York AAB

Will the B in Economics AS put me at a disadvantage and also what is the likelihood of being given an offer by any of the above universities especially Notts, Bristol and UCL although knowledge of any of the five are most welcome

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SamTheMan95

Will the B in Economics AS put me at a disadvantage and also what is the likelihood of being given an offer by any of the above universities especially Notts, Bristol and UCL although knowledge of any of the five are most welcome

Of course it will put you at a disadvantage compared with those who achieved an A

But, your predictions are good and, with a strong reference and PS it should not be a block

I would suggest that, for the very top end, it might be worth calling/emailing admissions people just to see if this would be too much of an issue
Reply 2
doubt it will be an issue, just tell ur teachers to give you higher predicted grades.
also isnt it A*AA for economics at nottingham?
I doubt that it'll be too much of an issue...as far as I know it's more important that you get an A*/A in Maths due to the amount of maths on the course but I'm not sure.
Reply 4
You would be at more of a disadvantage if the B was in maths as that's more important. I don't think it will be looked upon too badly so I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by tomj2all
doubt it will be an issue, just tell ur teachers to give you higher predicted grades.

It is but you could get in with less.
Reply 6
Original post by Bloxorus
You would be at more of a disadvantage if the B was in maths as that's more important. I don't think it will be looked upon too badly so I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Original post by Frank the Tankk
I doubt that it'll be too much of an issue...as far as I know it's more important that you get an A*/A in Maths due to the amount of maths on the course but I'm not sure.

Original post by tomj2all

Original post by TenOfThem
Of course it will put you at a disadvantage compared with those who achieved an A

But, your predictions are good and, with a strong reference and PS it should not be a block

I would suggest that, for the very top end, it might be worth calling/emailing admissions people just to see if this would be too much of an issue

would I be likely to gain offers from Notts and Bristol??
Reply 7
Bump
Reply 8
The main subject needed for Economics (BSc) is Maths, as you've got 91% it won't hinder your application. So you most probably will get offers from Bristol/Nott if you have a strong personal statement although no guarantees as if the competition is high then that B in Economics might affect your chances but the reason isn't because it's Economics, it's because you got a grade B.
I know this might be not related to this thread but I wanted to ask if it is necessary to take FM for economics degree hopefully for Lse or Warwick. Regarding your query, from what I've heard is that your 91% in As maths will help your application and if your PS is amazing then there is every chance for an offer :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by yousuf5465
I know this might be not related to this thread but I wanted to ask if it is necessary to take FM for economics degree hopefully for Lse or Warwick. Regarding your query, from what I've heard is that your 91% in As maths will help your application and if your PS is amazing then there is every chance for an offer :smile:

For LSE it is a must, as competition is really high so you can't give them a chance to reject you. For Warwick it's not specified but it would probably strengthen your application than if you took something like Biology.
would I be likely to gain offers from Notts and Bristol??

How could anyone tell you this now, given how little you've told us? If you're that worried, contact the admissions depts.
Reply 12
My brother got an offer from nots with AAAB at AS-B was in chem. (He done the same A-levels as you)
Personally i would resit a module from economics, just to guarantee yourself the A grade in AS. Honestly you did really well and as long as you can work super hard in A2, then you will definitely achieve your predicted grades (A* in maths A/A* in chemistry and an A in economics)
Not massive to be honest especially for Birmingham. Universities dont place large emphasis on A level Economics as it varies so much. Just make sure you have a strong personal statement and show your interest for economics.

(Economics Grad)
Reply 15
Original post by Siennarichards
Personally i would resit a module from economics, just to guarantee yourself the A grade in AS. Honestly you did really well and as long as you can work super hard in A2, then you will definitely achieve your predicted grades (A* in maths A/A* in chemistry and an A in economics)

It's literally Econ2 that i bombed really badly but i dont think resitting is a reasonable idea as i would have to revise for 3 econ exams, 3 maths and 2 chem because there's no more january exams.

I was thinking just carry on without resitting and try to get 83/82 in econ 3 and econ4 and if I just fall short, reapply and resit the econ 2 and make up the missing ums.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
It's literally Econ2 that i bombed really badly but i dont think resitting is a reasonable idea as i would have to revise for 3 econ exams, 3 maths and 2 chem because there's no more january exams.

I was thinking just carry on without resitting and try to get 83/82 in econ 3 and econ4 and if I just fall short, reapply and resit the econ 2 and make up the missing ums.

Econ four is an extension of econ two so in revising econ four you'll be revising econ two concepts.

Khan academy has some good stuff for macro:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/macroeconomics
Original post by Dilzo999
For LSE it is a must, as competition is really high so you can't give them a chance to reject you. For Warwick it's not specified but it would probably strengthen your application than if you took something like Biology.

not true , at the Open day they said Further Maths doesn't put you at any advantage over any other subject.
Original post by Siennarichards

he only needs to get 2% over the A boundary at A2 to achieve an A overall , that small a percentage means wasting revision time resitting an AS Module is not worth it IMO. it won't help his application at all , it'll just hinder it.
Reply 19
You're very likely to get Birmingham, Nottingham and York offers. If you have a good PS, then you will get at least 2/3 - no problem whatsoever.
Bristol might be a little harder, but you have a good shot.
UCL, less chance but still a chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending