The Student Room Group

Fresher's Week drinking on Antidepressants?

Hi

So I've been on sertraline for a year (depression & anxiety). I'm advised not to drink while I'm on my medication, but I would like to drink in fresher's week. Do you think it will make much difference?

I'm not a big drinker but I'm not against it and I want to have fun in fresher's week and not stand out from the crowd! And I don't want to tell anyone I can't drink cos of my meds, obviously. I've haven't got properly drunk in the last year, but I've been very tipsy a few times and not noticed big side effects. But with a whole week of drinking I don't want to risk my depression worsening lots just as I'm in a new, scary, stressful place..

What do you think?
Reply 1
I did drink during freshers week whilst on Prozac, which I was on for depression and anxiety also. It wasn't that bad, I just got drunk faster. Which meant it was cheaper to get drunk. Got a little more aggressive than usual.

However I wouldn't recommend drinking if you are in a bad mood. I found drinking in a bad mood whilst on the meds just made things worse.
Reply 2
I used to drink when I was on anti depressants. All I'd suggest is, if you're in a bad mood, don't drink because alcohol just makes it worse, and on the first couple of nights, take it easy and see if you feel it's okay for you personally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending