milgrams study 1963 electric shock experiment Watch

This discussion is closed.
sabina hock
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
has any 1 done the milgram study 1963 where he gets participants to electric shocks 2 this guy i'm stuck i have to do a 700 essay 4 college to say whether it was ethical or unethical?
txt_eva
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Bl**dy unethical!!!

Have you seen the video? It's very good....

Worth linking it to Zimbargos (sp?) prison study...
jumahumour
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Extremely unethical. The video is good tho
Amb1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sabina hock)
has any 1 done the milgram study 1963 where he gets participants to electric shocks 2 this guy i'm stuck i have to do a 700 essay 4 college to say whether it was ethical or unethical?
Unethical! He deceived the pts - that's a biggy! He didn't follow the right to withdraw guideline (he practically forced the pts to continue when they didn't want to). He caused unnecessary stress (making people think they'd killed someone). He caused physical damage (they dug their fingernails into their hands until they bled, ouch). Basically if you take the current BPS guidelines he did something to breech virtually all of them. Good comparison with the Zimbardo prison experiment. Hope this helps
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
Unethical! He deceived the pts - that's a biggy! He didn't follow the right to withdraw guideline (he practically forced the pts to continue when they didn't want to). He caused unnecessary stress (making people think they'd killed someone). He caused physical damage (they dug their fingernails into their hands until they bled, ouch). Basically if you take the current BPS guidelines he did something to breech virtually all of them. Good comparison with the Zimbardo prison experiment. Hope this helps
Oh god, I just realised how much I miss Sociology. It was so interesting!
Pure_Honey
Report 15 years ago
OMG...totally unethical!he deceived the particiants, caused them psychological stress, didn't tell them they had the right to withdraw, didn't brief them properly...gotta be one of the most unethical experiments EVA!xxx
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Trousers)
Can't tell if you mean that or not!!
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Unethical, certainly.
How you can ever justify putting people through that much emotional suffering is beyond me.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
Can't tell if you mean that or not!!
Absolutely definitely mean it - honest! I loved it. Didn't make the most of it when I had the chance though. Perhaps I'll do some experiments on someone, for old time's sake...
txt_eva
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

We did this in Psychology...

Theres a lot on Milgram online... this is esp good... http://www.garysturt.free-online.co.uk/milgram.htm

Worth noting he did the study to test link with warcrimes... it wasn't an ethical area to test....
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Absolutely definitely mean it - honest! I loved it. Didn't make the most of it when I had the chance though. Perhaps I'll do some experiments on someone, for old time's sake...
lol, sorry! I really enjoyed my psychology A level, was so interested I did it at uni too!!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.96%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (329)
63.64%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.64%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed