The Student Room Group

Few questions about A-Level subjects and Architecture

I have a few questions over doing Architecture in the future, and A-Levels required to do so.

I was looking at a local colleges website (well, not exactly local but near) and they have 'OCR Architecture AS/A2' does such a subject at A-Level even exist? Can someone explain to me what this course is? Thanks.

http://www.rutc.ac.uk/courses/art-and-design/155-level-3/94-architecture-as-a2.html

The second thing I wanted to ask is, to do Architecture at UCL do you need A-Level Maths? I did work experience at an architects and one of the people that worked there went to UCL, and he got in only having an A in GCSE Maths and nothing else. Is this still an option to newer people applying?

My last question is, UCL on their website say 'Art is a must' but do not specify which art. If I was to do AQA Product Design (3D-Design) linked below instead of an art subject, would UCL or any university for that matter still take me for an architecture course with this subject?

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/design-and-technology/a-level/design-and-technology-product-design-3d-2550

Thanks. :smile:

Thanks for that, helped me realise I don't need Maths and that I need Art A-Level or Art-Spec Textiles A-Level.

Still have a 1 more question - do they favour those with Maths A-Level over others? They say they don't mind but I want to know whether or not it would mean I'd be put to the bottom of the pile.

Also still don't know what that Architecture A-Level course is about lol.
Original post by yellowcopter
Thanks for that, helped me realise I don't need Maths and that I need Art A-Level or Art-Spec Textiles A-Level.

Still have a 1 more question - do they favour those with Maths A-Level over others? They say they don't mind but I want to know whether or not it would mean I'd be put to the bottom of the pile.

Also still don't know what that Architecture A-Level course is about lol.

Maths, Physics and Art are generally the good combinations for Architecture and Engineering I guess. I finished my AS's in art, physics, maths and product design last year [a2 now] and I you really do need a passion/try to have a passion for an a level if you need it for architecture. I did okay in GCSE maths - coming out with Double A*'s because it was an dual award thing, but I didn't really want to do it in AS but did it anyway because it would prep me well.. turns out even though I didn't mind it, got the topics, but I had no passion for it, causing me to come out with a mere B... so.. eh :/

this is kind of a useless reply but I guess you really need to learn to enjoy it in order to do really well
Original post by Archengsculp
Maths, Physics and Art are generally the good combinations for Architecture and Engineering I guess. I finished my AS's in art, physics, maths and product design last year [a2 now] and I you really do need a passion/try to have a passion for an a level if you need it for architecture. I did okay in GCSE maths - coming out with Double A*'s because it was an dual award thing, but I didn't really want to do it in AS but did it anyway because it would prep me well.. turns out even though I didn't mind it, got the topics, but I had no passion for it, causing me to come out with a mere B... so.. eh :/

this is kind of a useless reply but I guess you really need to learn to enjoy it in order to do really well

Thanks for the reply, in the end I decided to give up on doing Architecture. It just doesn't seem like it's something I want to do anymore. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest