BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Engineering

Watch
iRaii
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey everyone!

My intention is to start this course, however from research in and around the TSR, I want to ask for some facts from current or previous students, regarding how much prospect one would have from attaining lets say DDD, and wishing to go to a good university (perhaps Russell group).

My first question is to those who HAVE taken the level 3 course, have you went on to study at university? If so, what was your offer, and place of study?

How did you find the course overall, in terms of preparation for university, and certain universities such as Bristol ask for A-Level Maths alongside the BTEC?

Thank you for you time, and apologies if my thread is in the wrong section, it was the closest in its category I could find!
iceman95
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
HI I am have finished my first year doing btec engineering level 3. I will be starting the second year next week, a lot of people have got into universities such as University of Manchester, Nottingham, Lancaster etc.

Some people in the forums wrote that they struggled with maths but found the sciences easier such as thermodynamics fluid mechanics, engineering materials etc. As they had already been taught some of the stuff. It really depends in your college because in different colleges, the units differ some may be a btec in mechanical engineering, so the units are based more on mechanical elements, and so you would have more knowledge and it would help you for higher education.

Some top unis accept btec candidates but require an A level in maths mostly in mechanical engineering, this is possibly more due to a higher competition in applicants not because there is more maths content, people say that electrical engineering has more maths but they favour the A level students more over btec candidates but for electrical engineering most top unis accept students with the btec alone.

Did you do A levels last year? You had spoken about your choices about A levels last year
iRaii
Rep:
?
Ah I see! How did you find your first year, and what is the the layout of the course?
iceman95
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iRaii)
Ah I see! How did you find your first year, and what is the the layout of the course?
Yes I found the first year fine I got 6D 1M and 1P giving me a D* in the subsidary diploma. You study 18 units and you do 9 units in each year. You are given assignment after couple of weeks for you to complete. Different college choose different units some may prefer to choose a more electrical bias giving you a better preparation for HE.
iRaii
Rep:
?
(Original post by iceman95)
Yes I found the first year fine I got 6D 1M and 1P giving me a D* in the subsidary diploma. You study 18 units and you do 9 units in each year. You are given assignment after couple of weeks for you to complete. Different college choose different units some may prefer to choose a more electrical bias giving you a better preparation for HE.
I'm just interested in asking how your GCSE's were?
And also, I was told by my college that by the end of the first and second year, I should essentially have 3 BTEC grades, each grade being the equivalent of 1 A-Level, however I wanted to know how come you only have 1 awarded?
iceman95
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iRaii)
I'm just interested in asking how your GCSE's were?
And also, I was told by my college that by the end of the first and second year, I should essentially have 3 BTEC grades, each grade being the equivalent of 1 A-Level, however I wanted to know how come you only have 1 awarded?
I have only 1 a level equivalent as I have finished first year and already completed 6 units so as a backup our college initially opted us for the subsidiary award as a least just so we get a certificate just so that if anyone intends to leave. But as I will be continuing the course, I will get the extended diploma qualification when I finish it.

My GCSE's had been average I got ABCCCE - A being in maths and distinction overall in GCSE ICT.

How come you are deciding to move onto this btec from a levels?
toshiba2012
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi everyone I am starting this course at 12th sep 2013.

BTEC Level 3 National Engineering Student Book (Level 3 BTEC National Engineering)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BTEC-Level-N...pr_product_top

this book is very helpful
iRaii
Rep:
?
Simply a better option for me after poor first year results.

The reviews for the book show poor accuracy for the math side of the edition.
iRaii
Rep:
?
I was wondering if there is a BTEC uni offers section on this forum, I've tried taking a look but failed miserably.
captain123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey I want to do BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Engineering but I feel I might be rejected. I got an A in Maths, C in English, but my teacher said I wasn't capable enough of doing GCSE Science (Double Award) so she put me down to BTEC Science (Double Award), which was fristrating because I was good and enjoyed physics but was bad at biology and chemistry, in the end I only got a Pass. I know a Pass is equivalent to a C and the requirements is Math, English and Science at grade C, but will I get rejected for studying BTEC Science??? Its annoying cause I enjoyed physics

Will I get rejected??
toshiba2012
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No you wont all you need is maths and English at C's grades.
iRaii
Rep:
?
Anyone got offers?
iRaii
Rep:
?
Bump
Dillonguyisme
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For people who are doing the course can they answer the follow questions

1 is the course hard
2 is the coursework very long
3 is a lot of independent study or work needed
4 tips for the course
5 suggestions what to do when the course is finished
rridwan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
is it
Servelus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi! How will I know that I am a BTEC registered student?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (58)
29.15%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.54%
No I am happy with my choice (110)
55.28%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
8.04%

Watched Threads