Take a look!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
cofactor
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Greetings to you all who are now beginning to plough through my first Thread on this forum. So don't feel refrained in giving out your thought. i welcome all kinds of reply.

my question is very simple. Just tell me what you think of the types of students Oxbridge is looking for.

Do remember to spare me the detail of the seemingly necessary grades of A-level subjects. We all know that A-level nowadays is a joke. it's just ridiculously unchallenging, especially the science subjects. For instance, to obtain an A in Math all u need to do is to learn and apply equations linearly to each question.

house badger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Intelligent people who are going to be interested in their subject.

I think you should get in before you start belittling A levels which are still a gold standard. If they really do seem that easy to you you have obviously being privileged to a very high standard of teaching.

I remember people with attitudes like yours from interview, funnily I haven't seen them since.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by house badger)
Intelligent people who are going to be interested in their subject.

I think you should get in before you start belittling A levels which are still a gold standard. If they really do seem that easy to you you have obviously being privileged to a very high standard of teaching.

I remember people with attitudes like yours from interview, funnily I haven't seen them since.
I agre with the original poster. A levels nowadays aren't really much of a standard. Personally i found them a piece of piss, so I'll bet other people breezed through too
top unis look for interest in the subject, and the ability to think laterally. You realise the further you get that sometimes there isn't just a nice textbook to read. you have to dig up information from many sources, extrapolate it, be critical of it, and decide what's worth using
J
Penetrate
Report 14 years ago
i basically agree with the last poster.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cofactor)
my question is very simple. Just tell me what you think of the types of students Oxbridge is looking for.
Ones that they are going to enjoy teaching (your interviewers will probably be your DoS/supervisors one day), who will benefit from the supervision system, and who have enough enthusiasm and dedication to their subject to do well.
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Greetings to you all who are now beginning to plough through my first Thread on this forum. So don't feel refrained in giving out your thought. i welcome all kinds of reply.

Do remember to spare me the detail of the seemingly necessary grades of A-level subjects. We all know that A-level nowadays is a joke. it's just ridiculously unchallenging, especially the science subjects. For instance, to obtain an A in Math all u need to do is to learn and apply equations linearly to each question.
Those with good potential, as opposed to those with good results who have already "peaked".
cofactor
(Original post by oldthrashbarg)
Those with good potential, as opposed to those with good results who have already "peaked".
Peaked?? Nobody in mind peaks at age of 16 , 17 or 18. Every young ppl possess the potential that u talked about. it doesn't take a genius to be an Oxbridge student.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Depends on the subject, but in gerenal just a keen interest and desire to learn actively.
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Peaked?? Nobody in mind peaks at age of 16 , 17 or 18. Every young ppl possess the potential that u talked about. it doesn't take a genius to be an Oxbridge student.
I meant peaked in relation to the education system. As you progress through school and University, not only does the academic level increase, but the method of teaching and learning changes. People who do well in school, will not necessarily do well at University. In my experience, schoolwork (as in A-levels or whatever) involves much less actual reasoning, and independent analysis than University studies, and so people who are good at learning data by heart but less able to think for themselves, will eventually grind to a halt.
Suzy_vet
Report 14 years ago
So have you got inot oxbridge then?

Maybe Alevels are piss easy if you have very good teaching. Personally, i though GCSES were easy, As levels harder but still very doable (i did basically nothing in history all year and got an A) but i think A levels are a lot harder. There si so much to learn. And i find maths hardest of all.
Suzy_vet
Report 14 years ago
And i agree with the person who said they met people like you at interview, and havent seen them since. bit of a silly, stuck up attitude youve got, which is juts going to rub people up the wrong way.

Yawn. :eek: Some of us are working hard to get our places at cambridge.
cofactor
One thing i have to clarify here is that i have absolute no intention to belittle A-Level. i only stated a plain obvious fact. A-Level is not challenging.

don't be overprotective, have the courage to face it. it's the least i can expect from a Cam student.
Suzy_vet
Report 14 years ago
you have a wierd attitude.

im being protective casue i dont think they are particularly easy. yeah, on there own maybe theyre easy.but when youre doing 4, i dont think they are.thats how you show your intelligence. they dont really care about AEA's , unless theyre not sure about you, then theyll ask for them.

are you still at school?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (261)
26.71%
No (716)
73.29%

Watched Threads