The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

What's everyone taking to induction week/first lectures?

I'm doing BEd (hons) teaching but wondered what everyone is taking to their first lectures during induction week? doesnt matter what course either I just want a general idea. obiviously a pen and paper is a great start but My course has a whole load of textbooks but are people taking them to lectures or not?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nobody takes textbooks to lectures. Only about half of my modules make any reference whatsoever to the textbook - it's mostly just there for reference.
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Well I do Chemistry so our textbooks are too heavy to carry around and we only need them for reference and to use at home/library..
You won't really need anything for your first lectures, maybe if your teachers have emailed you about printing out slides for lessons then that's it..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I'm doing BEd too. I'll probably just be taking a notebook pen and my planner with me. There won't really be any need to take textbooks or anything.
thanks guys, I didn't want to drag a bunch of books around with me as their are so many. I suppose if they need you to bring something specific they will say and tell u what to print like u say. Thanks Just didn't want to be the only one with or without lol :smile: hello danderson 1991 r u excited? do u know what that big area of dark on the timetable is? (on Mondays and a section on thurs 14th) took me forever to figure out some aspects of it but don't know about that. :s-smilie:
I'm taking my dildo.
I take my bag with:

A drink
A book (to read)
A book linking to class (example: essential cell biology for cell biology)
My purse with Student ID and bank cards + simple make up
Money
Chewing gum
A hair bobble (required for my course)
My lab coat (required for my course)
My lab goggles (required for my course)
Original post by hollywilliams22
thanks guys, I didn't want to drag a bunch of books around with me as their are so many. I suppose if they need you to bring something specific they will say and tell u what to print like u say. Thanks Just didn't want to be the only one with or without lol :smile: hello danderson 1991 r u excited? do u know what that big area of dark on the timetable is? (on Mondays and a section on thurs 14th) took me forever to figure out some aspects of it but don't know about that. :s-smilie:

Yea they should say if we need to take anything specific, I might take a text book in for the curriculum lessons like science maths etc. since I've got one for each of those.

I'm really excited :smile: can't wait for it to start, I finish at work at the end of this week so going to volunteer back in a school for a couple of weeks to pass the time. I just had a look at the timetable again, I didn't really notice those dark areas before and have no idea what they could be since they're not on the legend. Very strange, I'm sure we'll find out soon after we start though.
Original post by rattusratus
I take my bag with:

A drink
A book (to read)
A book linking to class (example: essential cell biology for cell biology)
My purse with Student ID and bank cards + simple make up
Money
Chewing gum
A hair bobble (required for my course)
My lab coat (required for my course)
My lab goggles (required for my course)

thankyou for replying. this is a nice round up of things I will need :smile: does anyone ever take laptops? I will need one for when we plan lessons but I cant imagine needing it at uni... I could type them up at home?!
Original post by Danderson1991
Yea they should say if we need to take anything specific, I might take a text book in for the curriculum lessons like science maths etc. since I've got one for each of those.

I'm really excited :smile: can't wait for it to start, I finish at work at the end of this week so going to volunteer back in a school for a couple of weeks to pass the time. I just had a look at the timetable again, I didn't really notice those dark areas before and have no idea what they could be since they're not on the legend. Very strange, I'm sure we'll find out soon after we start though.

yes I figured i would take books relating to lessons plans as and when needed but theres so many! how many have u purchased? ive bought a book from each section and want to get the national curriculum but its sold out everywhere ive looked! p.e is a dark square but that's in a separate bit that im not really sure of... lol i'm useless i know :smile: ah im not really excited more just stressed haha. aww that's good ur volunteering. im not going back to my school now i don't think, spent the holidays with my kids and when daughter returns to school will spend time with my lil boy and do some preparing (reading and research) whilst he naps!
thankyou for replying. this is a nice round up of things I will need :smile: does anyone ever take laptops? I will need one for when we plan lessons but I cant imagine needing it at uni... I could type them up at home?!

it depends on your own style of learning really, in my class people took Dictaphones, Ipad/tablets or pen and paper but its up to the individual - most lectures go up on blackboard now anyway

I would suggest taking a note pad and pencil in case you get a talk and chalk lecture (where you have to write and draw but that might just be a science thing) but you can often by things like that at several point on campus so it not a huge problem (pens cost about 10p and I must of bought at least 20 last year lol)
yes I figured i would take books relating to lessons plans as and when needed but theres so many! how many have u purchased? ive bought a book from each section and want to get the national curriculum but its sold out everywhere ive looked! p.e is a dark square but that's in a separate bit that im not really sure of... lol i'm useless i know :smile: ah im not really excited more just stressed haha. aww that's good ur volunteering. im not going back to my school now i don't think, spent the holidays with my kids and when daughter returns to school will spend time with my lil boy and do some preparing (reading and research) whilst he naps!

I've got 10 in total, 8 from the reading list and a couple that I got before they sent it to us. Luckily I got the national curriculum one from a teacher at the school who had a spare copy :biggrin: , The P.E and other parts of the curriculum are done in the bits it says "cc" on the timetable, I'm not exactly sure how that works though.
I was going to have a couple of weeks rest before the course starts but then realised I wouldn't have had anything to do so decided to go back to the school. Don't blame you for wanting to spend time with your kids, and glad others are doing preparation aswell, thought I was going over the top with it :rolleyes:
Original post by rattusratus
it depends on your own style of learning really, in my class people took Dictaphones, Ipad/tablets or pen and paper but its up to the individual - most lectures go up on blackboard now anyway

I would suggest taking a note pad and pencil in case you get a talk and chalk lecture (where you have to write and draw but that might just be a science thing) but you can often by things like that at several point on campus so it not a huge problem (pens cost about 10p and I must of bought at least 20 last year lol)

ah that's cool u can purchase things on campus. ive heard of chalk and talk. im sure a notepad and pen will be fine then unless i do decide i learn better recording the lectures. they put notes on WOLF though don't they? or is it not used that much?
I've got 10 in total, 8 from the reading list and a couple that I got before they sent it to us. Luckily I got the national curriculum one from a teacher at the school who had a spare copy :biggrin: , The P.E and other parts of the curriculum are done in the bits it says "cc" on the timetable, I'm not exactly sure how that works though.
I was going to have a couple of weeks rest before the course starts but then realised I wouldn't have had anything to do so decided to go back to the school. Don't blame you for wanting to spend time with your kids, and glad others are doing preparation aswell, thought I was going over the top with it :rolleyes:

that's keen lol i have 5 because my parents bought them for me.. really cant afford any lol im going to order the national curriculum tomoz when i get paid but ive got other things to buy (school shoes etc) so that will do me for now. i figured ive got plenty of time to pick books up as i go along. the library will have some for now if i need them. yes i did get confused because its like a separate table for curriculum concepts.... hmm. i hope they clear it up for us! do u think we will get a new timetable for each term or something because this one doesn't tell u rooms i think its very general . have u enrolled yet? im going there fri to do my id check and then hopefully i can understand how to register on modules but i don't want to do it wrong... :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:
ahh i think ive just found the module codes so i can search them in the guide. it shows u what type of assessment it is in each one and the percentage of what its worth.
that's keen lol i have 5 because my parents bought them for me.. really cant afford any lol im going to order the national curriculum tomoz when i get paid but ive got other things to buy (school shoes etc) so that will do me for now. i figured ive got plenty of time to pick books up as i go along. the library will have some for now if i need them. yes i did get confused because its like a separate table for curriculum concepts.... hmm. i hope they clear it up for us! do u think we will get a new timetable for each term or something because this one doesn't tell u rooms i think its very general . have u enrolled yet? im going there fri to do my id check and then hopefully i can understand how to register on modules but i don't want to do it wrong... :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:

Yea I got a bit carried away with buying them, I was going to get more than that but stopped myself lol. I'm hoping they'll give us a proper time table when we go to the course induction, the one we've got is a bit too confusing, but it is good to know when our placement and other things will be.

I've just got the ID check to do, I live in Burton so might go into the uni bit there to get it checked, if not I won't get fully enrolled until I move into accommodation. You'll have to let me know if they give you anymore info when you enrol :smile:

ahh i think ive just found the module codes so i can search them in the guide. it shows u what type of assessment it is in each one and the percentage of what its worth.

Where did you find those?
Yea I got a bit carried away with buying them, I was going to get more than that but stopped myself lol. I'm hoping they'll give us a proper time table when we go to the course induction, the one we've got is a bit too confusing, but it is good to know when our placement and other things will be.

I've just got the ID check to do, I live in Burton so might go into the uni bit there to get it checked, if not I won't get fully enrolled until I move into accommodation. You'll have to let me know if they give you anymore info when you enrol :smile:

Where did you find those?

http://www.wlv.ac.uk/default.aspx?page=30156 click on our course and go through the guide... 4PE001, then replace 1 with 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6. i begged my mum to take me to uni on her day off because i don't drive and worry if im not enrolled and don't have my card i wont b able to use the shuttle bus... they prob make exceptions for first week or so but don't want to risk it (u hav to show ur card like a bus pass). im stressed and nervous enough as it is lol! yeh i will but i don't think they will it will probably just update on evision and hopefully point us in right direction! :smile: mare u buying ur books new or secondhand? where are u getting them from? mine are new and came to over 100 pound for just 5! im looking on ebay atm for some but does it matter what edition they are (im more referring to the qts ones which seem to have loads of editions)
http://www.wlv.ac.uk/default.aspx?page=30156 click on our course and go through the guide... 4PE001, then replace 1 with 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6. i begged my mum to take me to uni on her day off because i don't drive and worry if im not enrolled and don't have my card i wont b able to use the shuttle bus... they prob make exceptions for first week or so but don't want to risk it (u hav to show ur card like a bus pass). im stressed and nervous enough as it is lol! yeh i will but i don't think they will it will probably just update on evision and hopefully point us in right direction! :smile: mare u buying ur books new or secondhand? where are u getting them from? mine are new and came to over 100 pound for just 5! im looking on ebay atm for some but does it matter what edition they are (im more referring to the qts ones which seem to have loads of editions)

Oh cool thanks for that. Could you phone/email the uni to see what happens if you've not been ID checked in the first week? If you can't get in beforehand ofcourse. I've got all the ones from the reading list secondhand, got some off amazon and some off play.com (didn't even know they sold books!) but yea it came to about 150 for all of them :frown: but I'm not going to get anymore, I'll just hope they're in the library if I need any of the others.
Oh cool thanks for that. Could you phone/email the uni to see what happens if you've not been ID checked in the first week? If you can't get in beforehand ofcourse. I've got all the ones from the reading list secondhand, got some off amazon and some off play.com (didn't even know they sold books!) but yea it came to about 150 for all of them :frown: but I'm not going to get anymore, I'll just hope they're in the library if I need any of the others.

it does say you have to be enrolled completely by the 23rd of sep (i think its that date) so u can obviously leave it a bit longer but the problem is u have to enrol to register ur modules and u have to register before the first day of teaching other wise u may not b permitted to sit the exams or whatever. u can log a help call and ask, ive found they answer very quickly :smile: so its like emailing and u can ask as many things as u want. if u leave it until induction week u will probably miss out on whatever they've got going on (not everything lol just whatever is on at the time ur trying to enrol) because u will b standing in queues but if uve got no other choice then that's the end of it really. u may have a better chance of doing it if u are living on campus because u can be there first thing or last minute without having to dart off to get home. like i said just log a help call! never thought of looking on play! might browse in a min... im sure u will be able to get adequate info from the books u own i will b shocked if u cant!!! :smile: I noticed ur the same age as me (from ur profile) are u recently 22.. i will b 23 in November. im only really saying because other than the two really mature applicants i came across i was the oldest. not obviously by much but i feel a lot different to others (tho i do have kids so do seem older) . I hope everyone is friendly!
it does say you have to be enrolled completely by the 23rd of sep (i think its that date) so u can obviously leave it a bit longer but the problem is u have to enrol to register ur modules and u have to register before the first day of teaching other wise u may not b permitted to sit the exams or whatever. u can log a help call and ask, ive found they answer very quickly :smile: so its like emailing and u can ask as many things as u want. if u leave it until induction week u will probably miss out on whatever they've got going on (not everything lol just whatever is on at the time ur trying to enrol) because u will b standing in queues but if uve got no other choice then that's the end of it really. u may have a better chance of doing it if u are living on campus because u can be there first thing or last minute without having to dart off to get home. like i said just log a help call! never thought of looking on play! might browse in a min... im sure u will be able to get adequate info from the books u own i will b shocked if u cant!!! :smile: I noticed ur the same age as me (from ur profile) are u recently 22.. i will b 23 in November. im only really saying because other than the two really mature applicants i came across i was the oldest. not obviously by much but i feel a lot different to others (tho i do have kids so do seem older) . I hope everyone is friendly!

Yea that's why I wanted to get enrolled before the induction week, don't want to miss out on anything if I can help it, I might log a help call and see what they say. Yea I didn't think of it either but was looking on there for other things and noticed they did books, they mostly use second hand dealers aswell which is always good. The ones i'm reading at the minute seem to be useful so I should be fine with the info they've got.
My birthdays in March so not much younger than you :smile: when I applied I kept thinking I was going to be one of the older ones, even though it's only a few years. You should be fine though, I doubt anyone will notice an age difference. I did an Access course last year so there were people from 19-50+ and everyone got along really well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending