Favourite books!

Watch
Wellamyreads
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I don't know if this has already been done, if it has can someone please link me to the original thread.
This is just a post for people to put what their favourite books are and why. (mainly because I need new books to read)

Posted from TSR Mobile
CreatorGal14
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm just going to be a stereotypical Potterhead and say Harry Potter, because who wouldn't want to go to Hogwarts?!
hollysarah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most recently I have read & loved -
Millennium series by Stieg Larsson (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in particular!)
The Hunger Games triology by Suzanne Collins (Catching Fire was AMAZING!)

I like trilogies so much more than one off books because it doesn't end so soon!
lilacwanda28
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hollysarah)
Most recently I have read & loved -
Millennium series by Stieg Larsson (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in particular!)
The Hunger Games triology by Suzanne Collins (Catching Fire was AMAZING!)

I like trilogies so much more than one off books because it doesn't end so soon!
LOVED Hunger Games as well (first film was a little disappointing though, can't wait for the second because that looks truly AMAZING)

But my favourite books of ALL TIME are the Lord of the Rings series!
Such quests like those have always made happy reading for me!
Emerson_333
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Wasp Factory-Iain Banks
Never Let Me Go-Kazuo Ishiguro(more of a girly book tbh)
Lord of the Flies-William Golding > amazing!
Not sure why I like them just amazing stories really
sucess
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
how many hrs do you read a day, i want to start reading my written grammer sucks, so i want to improve
IChooseThisName
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What genre are you interested in (so I can give specific suggestions)?
NorwichtoBristol
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I prefer series to individual books as then you can get the whole picture. I really likeThe Song of Ice and Fire series - it's just incredible and makes people come up with these mad theories. Also Harry Potter and the Kingkiller chronicles (although it hasn't finished yet).
Lucy-1995
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Harry Potter - They are just the best! Also the hunger games books, the noughts and crosses books. These are the books i read and reread.. The Help is a really good book too

Books that have sequels are the best.. Like the northern lights books
Wellamyreads
Rep:
?
(Original post by sucess)
how many hrs do you read a day, i want to start reading my written grammer sucks, so i want to improve
I read at least five hours a day :3
Wellamyreads
Rep:
?
(Original post by IChooseThisName)
What genre are you interested in (so I can give specific suggestions)?
I like to read all genre's I'm honestly not picky
Alix23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is my list of favourite, beautiful YA books which is not entirely the same thing but I had it already:

1. The Book Thief
2. Before I Fall
3. Elsewhere
4. Paper Towns
5. Looking for Alaska
6. The Infernal Devices
7. LotR and The Hobbit

My absolute favourite book is Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
Hunty27
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A song of Ice and fire series (Game of thrones books) you really want to know what happens at the end, it keeps you hooked. + If one more Potter freak says Harry Potter I swear to god I will hunt down JK Rowling and crucio curse her. I hate Harry Potter, it is overrated garbage.
MrEFeynman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Radical abundance.
Wellamyreads
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hunty27)
A song of Ice and fire series (Game of thrones books) you really want to know what happens at the end, it keeps you hooked. + If one more Potter freak says Harry Potter I swear to god I will hunt down JK Rowling and crucio curse her. I hate Harry Potter, it is overrated garbage.
The Potter films are good! But I found the books incredibly slow :/
Wellamyreads
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alix23)
This is my list of favourite, beautiful YA books which is not entirely the same thing but I had it already:

1. The Book Thief
2. Before I Fall
3. Elsewhere
4. Paper Towns
5. Looking for Alaska
6. The Infernal Devices
7. LotR and The Hobbit

Have you read The Fault In Our Stars? (I noticed you had other Green books in your list)
IChooseThisName
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Here are a few general recommendations, considering I'm not sure what you prefer:

'The Moonstone' - not much to say about this one; it's a classic of the mystery genre.

'Shadow of the Wind' - incidentally, there are a few similarities to 'The Moonstone'; I found the writing style quite similar, and the genres overlap. Wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the works that inspired the author.

'Word to the Wise' - relatively unknown, and a possible gem of the kindle era. Make note, though, this is not some light reading, and although it's classed as fantasy, it has a melancholic feel and tackles many heavy themes in the book.

'A Man of His Word' - on a lighter note, this is a decent fantasy series.

'The Name of the Wind' - if you read fantasy, you will have read this, so let's leave it at that.

'In Her Name' - a science fiction series, considered as a relative must read, especially considering the first in the series is free.

As said above, these are just a few recommendations from each genre, as I'm not sure what you enjoy the most.
Lucy-1995
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Alix23)

1. The Book Thief
2. Before I Fall
3. Elsewhere
4. Paper Towns
5. Looking for Alaska
6. The Infernal Devices
7. LotR and The Hobbit

The Book Thief is an amazing book, might have to read that one again soon, been years!
IChooseThisName
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
More authors to watch out for; Neil Gaiman (might want to considering 'The Graveyard Book', which, although on first glance may look like it might not be worth the time, is actually very thought provoking, 'Neverwhere' and also 'American Gods'), along with Stephen King, Terry Pratchett (a book not many consider from him which is 'Nation') and Ursula Le Guin.
Alix23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Wellamyreads)
Have you read The Fault In Our Stars? (I noticed you had other Green books in your list)
Yeah and I enjoyed it, but I liked it so much less and thought it not nrealy as beautiful as Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska.

I completely forgot The Name of the Wind and the Graceling trilogy so read those as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.54%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.53%

Watched Threads