The Student Room Group

How do engineering apprenticeships compare to a uni degree?

I'm in a mess atm,:frown: I've always wanted to do engineering but I was told that even if I do get a degree in it, I would never get a job cus there is a lack of them and the competition is very high, I was advised to focus on medicine instead as a future career so I can go on to becoming a pharmacist or optometrist, however I didn't do GCSE science because I was put on BTEC so I choose to do A-level business, maths and ICT as well as triple science GCSE, this was too much and I failed my science coursework so I dropped maths to focus more on science. The science OCR department shut down after the 1st year and for the 2nd year they only allowed me to retake my exams and not the coursework that I screwed up.

So now I am left with- GCSE:
Ds in chemisty and biology and C in physics (took while doing A-lvls)
+ Bs in Product design, business, maths and IT Cs in English and RE

& A-lvl: C in Business and ICT

I have applied to do Maths again along with computing and psychology at college.

I'm looking for where to go after I've done AS and/maybe A2 at college. I want to get back on track with something I've wanted to do from the start.

I have found a mechanical engineering course at PK engineering in Hereford who would be happy to take me on if I standout from others who will be applying for the apprenticeship,
I have also found many other courses however I am not sure what offered degrees I need to look out for that would be up there with uni degrees and what type of engineering is really right for me :confused:

Please help :smile:
I think an apprenticeship at a decent company with possibilities to develop in the long term is better, especially if you don't feel to be made for university. Afterwards you can still opt for university, the other way round is very difficult. And as you said: It might be much easier to get into a company by an apprenticeship, than getting in after a degree on a sub-par universities without connections to the industry.

Quick Reply

Latest