BPI going to start suing UK music downloaders. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Piracy though is proof that people aren't willing to pay these prices, and although they make profit, they are ripping off the consumer.
Piracy is always an issue - But saying that the consumer is not willing to pay this price for CD's is rubbish.

The market is thriving.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *reasoning*)
Piracy is always an issue - But saying that the consumer is not willing to pay this price for CD's is rubbish.

The market is thriving.
Thriving? In a decreasing market?
Surely thats a contradiction. The market is getting smaller as the prices are too high.
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Firms sell CD's at a price that will maximize the overall profit they make.

That is, the best possible combination of low costs and high turnover that will maximize profit.
Yes. Which is in most cases not a supply/demand equilibrium.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

The market is thriving.
Piracy will always occur in vast quanitites when a market is booming, regardless of the price level.

Free music will always seem a better option than music with a selling price attached to it, if a person is prepared to follow that avenue.

In this case, free music is readily available and little emphasis is placed on its illegality.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thriving? In a decreasing market?
Surely thats a contradiction. The market is getting smaller as the prices are too high.
Not according to the news. Sales are on the increase.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not according to the news. Sales are on the increase.
???

The reason that it is on the news is because the vast decrease in sales, especially in singles.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I, for one, have obtained my entire music collection off the internet. I then burn them onto CD for my walkman etc. If there's an option where I can obtain music easily without paying for it, I'm certainly going to take it.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
I, for one, have obtained my entire music collection off the internet. I then burn them onto CD for my walkman etc. If there's an option where I can obtain music easily without paying for it, I'm certainly going to take it.
So you have no issue with behaving illegally then, or the possiblity of getting caught?
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Which is my point - A person who is prepared to download music for free will do so irregardless of whether the music is £10 or £7.

Free is better than a fee in the eyes of the consumer.
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
But saying that the consumer is not willing to pay this price for CD's is rubbish.
I am a consumer. I am not willing to pay the price of a CD when I can get songs for free. Rubbish? Certainly not.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Whic is my point - A person who is prepared to download music for free will do so irregardless of whether the music is £10 or £7.

Free is better than a fee in the eyes of the consumer.
No, that isn't true.
The vast majority of albums i have purchased have been at reduced prices, or have been originally priced low by the few companies not ripping off the consumer.
I would by more CD's if they were £7, rather than £10.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
???

The reason that it is on the news is because the vast decrease in sales, especially in singles.
The other day it said sales were very heatlhy indeed.

If consumer demand fell, then the price level for CD's in the music market shall also fall. This will occur to try and restore the demand/supply equilibirum at the unique selling price once again.
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

If consumer demand fell, then the price level for CD's in the music market shall also fall. This will occur to try and restore the demand/supply equilibirum at the unique selling price once again.
What demand/supply equilibrium?! That only occurs in perfect competition, and the music industry is an oligopoly.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
I am a consumer. I am not willing to pay the price of a CD when I can get songs for free. Rubbish? Certainly not.
When talking about Economics in general, the term "consumer" refers to all the consumers in that economy who the product for sale is aimed at.

In essence, the general public, not specifically one person who may have a different attitude in regards to what I said about consumers generally.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Well yesterday, straight off the news, they said sales were down by, i can't remember what exactly, but about 35% reduction in single sales, i think it was.
The market leaders have some sort of understanding that they will all sell at a higher price here, as the law has been innefective in taking action.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
So you have no issue with behaving illegally then, or the possiblity of getting caught?
Not at all. We do our file-sharing on a closed server at university. The uni aren't all that bothered about it, and we can get films, albums etc. all at our convenience. I'm not lining the record company's pockets when I just have to go online.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What demand/supply equilibrium?! That only occurs in perfect competition, and the music industry is an oligopoly.
Well, i would say it was between a monopoly and an oligopoly, as to compete with the big players, it is alot different to the little guys, so there are two tiers to the type of market the music industry is.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm pretty sure I posted a link earlier on the thread saying single sales were down and album sales were up

The average artist releases what, three singles from usually around 12 (generous) track album. I think most people have just realised it's wiser to download a few singles and if you like the artist, buy the album.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I thought that there were many music businesses who produced CD's. Perhaps I am not aware of the competition level in the music market.
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When talking about Economics in general, the term "consumer" refers to all the consumers in that economy who the product for sale is aimed at.

In essence, the general public, not specifically one person who may have a different attitude in regards to what I said about consumers generally.
I think you'll find there are several million people who share my attitude. They all use Kazaa, WinMX and the like.

And if you meant consumers, use the plural "consumers", not the singular.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (32)
17.49%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (28)
15.3%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (39)
21.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (66)
36.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (7)
3.83%
No particular grades needed (11)
6.01%