The Student Room Group

A2 TM Chemistry Question

Hi there,

Due to results, I've had to rethink my courses next year and will now continue chemistry. I've opened up the summer work but am struggling a bit, as I don't have the textbook yet, and missed the last few lessons after exams (I was then under the impression I had finished chemistry).

a Give the formulae of two copper compounds in which copper has different oxidation states. Give the oxidation states and the colours of the two compounds. [6]

b Give the formulae of two iron compounds in which iron has different oxidation states. Give the oxidation states and the colours of the two compounds. [6]

Can someone please walk me through these two questions?

Thanks,

Dan
Reply 1
This is pretty much a knowledge based question (things you need to learn).

You need to know that copper can exist in oxidation states I and II (Cu+ or Cu2+)
You need to know that iron can exist in oxidation states II and III (Fe2+ or Fe3+)

Can you write down the compounds for these with oxygen for example (balance the valencies)?

For the colours you'll have to look them up, I'm pretty sure that Cu+ is green and Cu2+ is blue but I could be wrong! Again, these are things you just need to learn!

Hope that helps!
Original post by Bradshaw
This is pretty much a knowledge based question (things you need to learn).

You need to know that copper can exist in oxidation states I and II (Cu+ or Cu2+)
You need to know that iron can exist in oxidation states II and III (Fe2+ or Fe3+)

Can you write down the compounds for these with oxygen for example (balance the valencies)?

For the colours you'll have to look them up, I'm pretty sure that Cu+ is green and Cu2+ is blue but I could be wrong! Again, these are things you just need to learn!

Hope that helps!

Cu+ is usually white (full 'd' shell) althought the oxide is red...
Reply 3
So could I have for the first part, copper (I) oxide Cu20 and copper (II) oxide CuO, copper (I) chloride CuCl and copper (II) chloride CuCl2?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Is there a specific page on chemguide or something I can read to help me understand this, as I don't yet have the textbook.

Thanks
Original post by danlocke
Is there a specific page on chemguide or something I can read to help me understand this, as I don't yet have the textbook.

Thanks

Start from the page http://www.alevelchem.com/aqa_a_level_chemistry/unit3.5/s354/01.htm

which is the A2 transition metals ...

Quick Reply

Latest