The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Transport from Bristol to St. A - unrealistic or possible?

I'm considering St. Andrews but transport is going to be the biggest issue for me. Advice on the following would be greatly appreciated:

- What is the most direct route after flying in to Edinburgh from Bristol Airport? This is the cheapest way to travel as train costs are way too expensive.

- How many buses/trains would I need to catch from Edinburgh to St Andrews?

- How easy/difficult is this with regards to emptying my room (would I need to empty out the room, could I request storage, does this cost a lot more?)

Thank you very much!
At the beginning and end of semesters the local taxi companies arrange a shuttle / taxi share service from the airport. There are lots of students and loads of luggage, they advertise a rate of £18 but that depends on how many people they have booked.

Re emptying the room - you can leave stuff there Christmas and Easter and in the summer you can make use of the local storage companies who advertise storage for students.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
OK - sounds manageable, thank you for your help!
would be a good idea to go on an open day to look round.

I know it seems a long way away but if you are going to spend 4 yrs + there then you need to see if you like it - would also give you an idea of the journey.

Must remember though that the shuttle option is less likely to be available for open days (well it would be available but more expensive ) so it may be bus into edinburgh / train to Leuchars / bus to St A or a bus to ferrytoll, then a bus to St A.

Better still, make the most of it and combine it with a trip to other universities
Hi!

I'm also making the journey from Bristol to St. A, but I'll be driving up with parents first trip (save logistic problem w/ luggage). After that I assume I'll have to fly from Edinburgh-Bristol, I'm sure there is a train or coach service to Edinburgh from St. A?

Nice to know someone else from Bristol is heading there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
The problem with Edinburgh Airport is that while the train goes very near, there is no handy train station.
The options tend to be that people get a bus into Edinburgh, the train to Leuchars and then the bus to St Andrews or the bus to Ferrytoll and then the bus to St Andrews (which is apparently a shorter distance but takes longer).
Other option is that the taxi companies arrange lots of taxi shares between St Andrews and the airport - worth it if you can organise in advance.
There are buses straight from Edinburgh to St Andrews which is a lot cheaper than the train + bus from leuchars.

EDIT: that bus from the airport to the ferrytoll sounds better than what I suggested before :P

Seriously train to leuchars + bus to st andrews is REALLY expensive cause scotrail is a gigantic rip off.

As others have said student storage is advertised a lot in st andrews, probably due to the large number of international students, so you shouldn't have a problem with that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by languagenerd

- What is the most direct route after flying in to Edinburgh from Bristol Airport? This is the cheapest way to travel as train costs are way too expensive.

- How many buses/trains would I need to catch from Edinburgh to St Andrews?

The best route (both quickest and shortest) is to take the 747 from Edinburgh Airport to Ferrytoll (this is a small bus station on the fife side of the Forth Road Bridge), and then change on to the X59 to St Andrews. When you get on the 747 at the airport you can ask the driver for a ticket to St Andrews - make sure you keep hold of it because you'll need to show it when you change on to the x59.

Any route that goes via Edinburgh city centre is longer than the 747/x59 combo so not worth it unless you really want to go in to Edinburgh.

I'm not totally certain of the price, but it's something around £10, and you can get a student discount if you have your card already.
Reply 8
Thanks for all the advice - very helpful! Sounding easier than I previously thought now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending