The Student Room Group

What is worse Syrian regime or western imperialism?

Poll

Which is worse the west or the Syrian regime?

What is with people who believe western leaders are more evil than Bashar Al Assad, who believe that western society is no better than the Syrian regime or that Western policy is no better than the Syrian regime?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tough choice... I'd have to go with western imperialism though.

Of course, they're both pretty evil, but for now, I don't think Syrian regime has killed as many innocent people as those killed thanks to the orders of western leaders.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Al-Mudaari

any reason why?
Reply 3
Of course, they're both pretty evil, but for now, I don't think Syrian regime has killed as many innocent people as those killed thanks to the orders of western leaders.

Fair enough at least you see them as both bad where some anti interventionists do not.

Must ask though

Is Obama as evil as Assad?

Is the British or American government as evil as the Assad regime?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Solarstorm
Fair enough at least you see them as both bad where some anti interventionists do not.

Must ask though

Is Obama as evil as Assad?

Is the British or American government as evil as the Assad regime?

Well Assads has killed fewer people... wars in Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq and the ensuing civil war there not to mention the blitzkrieg on north africa/middle east/asia from those drones don't bode to well for the west do they?
plus if we're talking in general not just the current governments we can throw in a ****load more wars these governments have started.
Reply 5
Original post by cl_steele
plus if we're talking in general not just the current governments we can throw in a ****load more wars these governments have started.

No we aren't, we are talking contemporary here.
Western imperialism trying all it can to fool its populous to go to war with a country suffering from civil war mostly funded by terrorists and arms globally.
Reply 7
No we aren't, we are talking contemporary here.

well thats a little unfair seeing as these governments have been in power for a very low amount of time compared to Assad...
Reply 8
Gaddafi wasnt the best leader but he wasnt the worst. No country around isreal is stable. libya, eygpt,syria? this is all americans. these countries were stable until the americans came along. syrian regime wasnt the best but then again the us government aint the best either
Reply 9
go catch a flight to syria and see for yourself what a western funded western aided al qaeda insurgency does to a country.

hopefully you don't get your head cut while you're there!

dumb question.
Reply 10
well thats a little unfair seeing as these governments have been in power for a very low amount of time compared to Assad...

That's the thing, different faces but the system has remained the same for decades.

we only have a facade of democracy, the people running america and england have done so for ages.

no different to a dictatorship.
Reply 11
i dislike both, but i would have to say western imperialism, due to the fact that they have a lot more blood on their hands and they kill so many innocent people around the world (especially the Middle East). they also twist and corrupt peoples perceptions of other groups of people.

Plus there is a lot of things we do not know about, about the American Government and the CIA. just a few weeks ago they came out with the fact that they were involved in the 1953 ousting of the Iranian President, just because he wanted to renationalize oil. I reckon they do a lot more then they own up to, which is why i respect Bradley Mannings, for reveling some of the lies of a nation that only cares for power and the influence it has over the world.

I also dislike that both governments (the UK and the US) think they're the best thing since sliced bread.
Reply 12

Well Assads has killed fewer people... wars in Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq and the ensuing civil war there not to mention the blitzkrieg on north africa/middle east/asia from those drones don't bode to well for the west do they?

Actually Assad is alleged to have killed over 100,000 thousand people, or at least the civil war has. To make this a fair comparison you are going to have to look at how many people Western interventions have killed over a similar period and you'll find it well below that. The casualties that can be directly attributed to the West in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya ect, taking away those killed by the Taliban, IRaqi insurgents and other groups is tiny.

Really this whole thread is a stupid question, comparing one nations civil war to what? The entire history of the West? Dozens of countries actions? This thread is just another excuse to hate on the West for awhile.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Aj12
Actually Assad is alleged to have killed over 100,000 thousand people, or at least the civil war has. To make this a fair comparison you are going to have to look at how many people Western interventions have killed over a similar period and you'll find it well below that. The casualties that can be directly attributed to the West in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya ect, taking away those killed by the Taliban, IRaqi insurgents and other groups is tiny.

Really this whole thread is a stupid question, comparing one nations civil war to what? The entire history of the West? Dozens of countries actions? This thread is just another excuse to hate on the West for awhile.

well actually its perfectly fine to include those acts of murder and those civil wars etc. as they were caused by the west... same as how this civil war cannot entirely be blamed on assad and neither can all the deaths.
Reply 14
Original post by Aj12

Maybe you should have read what I wrote in the OP then. I was not giving excuse to hate on the west actualy I find it incredibly reductionist to say that the west is as bad as the syrian regime.

Again we are talking about modern times here not 'the entire history of the west'.
Original post by Aj12

The civilian Iraq body count is over 100, 000. Factor in Afghanistan, any countries where drone strikes are occuring. Then factor in, any regime which are backed by western countries, either finicially or through arms. And i imagine the count goes higher.

Now we don't know if there any covert ops we don't know about but given the cia's history of unstabalising countries to further american interests, we don't know how much instability in some place has to do with other. For example the second Congo war has a body count of over 5.4 million. Now is this the direct result of soldiers from the West shooting people no. But is the trouble there a result of western imperialism, either directly or indirectly.

Of course i can't deny a lot of 'the west' is code word for the united states. The question is, do people not have a reason to hate western imperialism ?
Reply 16

Sorry but comparing the entire history of the west to the Syrian regime is not at all what this discussion is about. I don't find it unfair in the slightest.

We are talking about modern times and current issues which go back a few decades not ****ing centuries were practicaly every government would be as bad as the Syrian regime.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Sorry but comparing the entire history of the west to the Syrian regime is not at all what this discussion is about. I don't find it unfair in the slightest.

We are talking about modern times and current issues which go back a few decades not ****ing centuries were practicaly every government would be as bad as the Syrian regime.

Also contacting me with your little notifiction 'enjoy the neg' is immature as **** and idiotic if you actually think I give a **** about it. Grow up why don't you.

no its completely fair to compare the regime which has been in power for decades to a government thats been in power for less than one term, you make total sense dont ya kiddo.
whos talking about centuries?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
no its completely fair to compare the regime which has been in power for decades to a government thats been in power for less than one term, you make total sense dont ya kiddo.
whos talking about centuries? Youre the one whos letting his pathetic personal feelings cloud his judgement.

Whos talking about one government term nowhere did I ever say that. Learn to read posts why don't you.

This is current events do you not understand the meaning of that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Well Assads has killed fewer people... wars in Afghanistan (Afghan on Afghan, the west has lowered infant mortality rates and raisd life expectancy rates), Libya (Libyan on Libyan)and Iraq (Sunni on Shia)and the ensuing civil war there not to mention the blitzkrieg on north africa/middle east/asia from those drones Would you prefer our bombs get dropped by a manned plane that can be shot down, or would you prefer the Infantry to risk their lives? don't bode to well for the west do they?

You seem to ave forgotten the general increase in living standards hat a western society has allowed many people in developing nations to enjoy. Guess what, these days people in these nations don't need to have 14 kids to get 4 to make it through to adult hood anymore.

Try spending time in some of these **** holes. The average man and woman on the street look on at envy what the west has chieved and desperatlywant to have our lifestyles. A lot of this tension is from powerful people who feel threatened by having an educated population.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest