Further Math Watch

This discussion is closed.
Penetrate
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
How powerful is an A in further math??

if i apply to LSE for accounting or Cam for economics, will the admission tutor be impressed by the grade in this subject? does it carry more weighting than other subjects in reflecting one's intellectual ability?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Penetrate)

if i apply to LSE for accounting or Cam for economics, will the admission tutor be impressed by the grade in this subject? does it carry more weighting than other subjects in reflecting one's intellectual ability?
Don't think it carries that much extra weighting. It'll be impressive, but it won't be everything. And it's Maths.
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think an A in further maths is a very strong asset. The extra maths (and at an advanced level) would definitely come in handy for university economics.
David_Frank
Report 15 years ago
For courses/subjects related to maths,
you will need a good "STEP" result...
STEP= sixth term examination paper.

BTW: STEP is really tough, in my opinion...
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
...no you won't, that's only Cambridge and Warwick, and Warwick only ask for low STEP grades.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
...no you won't, that's only Cambridge and Warwick, and Warwick only ask for low STEP grades.
A '2' ain't that low you know
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Fair point, any pass in STEP is very admirable
SHH
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Penetrate)

Not a requirement at all, I believe. Further Maths carries more weight when applying for subjects such as Maths, Physics and Engineering. My housemate was offered LSE - ABB Maths Econs Accounts. Doing Accounting and Finance. And isn't F Maths is 100% A2 component? You won't get an AS grade for it.
DonnaB041986
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by David_Frank)
For courses/subjects related to maths,
you will need a good "STEP" result...
STEP= sixth term examination paper.

BTW: STEP is really tough, in my opinion...
cam only ask for STEP for maths. warwick sometimes ask for maths, maths + phys etc, unless you do further maths.

Donna
-x-
Suzy_vet
Report 15 years ago
It looks good yes, especially if its the fourth alevel. Its bloody difficult though!
Amrad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think it looks very impressive - most applicants will have 3 As but an A in Further Maths sets you apart from the field - not many have the aptitude to do Further Maths it shows you are genuinely smart. I have heard that Cambridge and the LSE are very keen on it even if you are applying for straight Economics - their courses are mathematical as well. Anywhere else and it's not really worth doing, but I know Cambridge have suggested that they appreciate Further (even to AS level) and LSE have so many applicants that look almost identical on paper.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (72)
17.65%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (259)
63.48%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.9%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.97%

Watched Threads