The Student Room Group

Tips for changing predicted grades

So, to study Geography at my local uni, I need AAA - and I have been predicted AAB in Computer Science, Geography and History respectively.
It is quite annoying, especially as I was 6 UMS/4 raw marks away from an A.
I asked my history teacher if I could be predicted an A on results day, and she said I probably wouldn't, as she seemed to think I can only be predicted what I got, although if I was 2 UMS off an A, I would've been predicted an A. This came from the teacher who predicted me a 'low A' at GCSE and I ended up getting A*.

Do you have any tips on how to get my predicted grade changed? I'm getting a remark so hopefully my grade will go up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Blueee
So, to study Geography at my local uni, I need AAA - and I have been predicted AAB in Computer Science, Geography and History respectively.
I asked my history teacher if I could be predicted an A on results day, and she said I probably wouldn't, as I can only be predicted what I got. This came from the teacher who predicted me a 'low A' at GCSE and I ended up getting A*.

Do you have any tips on how to get my predicted grade changed? I'm getting a remark so hopefully my grade will go up.

If your school has this policy (and all schools set their own) then you will probably be unlucky. You could try talking to your head of history or head of sixth, but be prepared not to win.
That sucks. My college usually predicts you a grade up. Talk with your head of sixth.
Reply 3
Thank you both for your replies. :smile:
I will try and talk to my head of sixth form (even though she is the busiest woman on the planet!) and try and get her involved - she is actually my Geography teacher so hopefully she can persuade the History teachers to alter the predicted grade. I am going to put in so much effort to get an A in History!
Reply 4
Original post by Blueee
I asked my history teacher if I could be predicted an A on results day, and she said I probably wouldn't, as she seemed to think I can only be predicted what I got, although if I was 2 UMS off an A, I would've been predicted an A. This came from the teacher who predicted me a 'low A' at GCSE and I ended up getting A*.

Do not forget that you have time

You do not need to apply until January - you have a full term to show your history teacher what you are capable of

Talk to her, the head of subject, and your head of sixth - but do so with a plan

It is not fair to expect your teacher to predict a grade higher than she thinks that you can get - it is your job to convince her that you can get the grade
Definitely taln to your head of sixth, if she's on your side then she'll pretty much do it. Make sure you make them aware of your course requirements and how if they don't give you the predictions they've pretty much ruined your uni chances. Emphasise your commitment to the course and that you will follow through by working so you can get the grades and get it.
Reply 6
Original post by joker12345
Definitely taln to your head of sixth, if she's on your side then she'll pretty much do it. Make sure you make them aware of your course requirements and how if they don't give you the predictions they've pretty much ruined your uni chances. Emphasise your commitment to the course and that you will follow through by working so you can get the grades and get it.

My head of sixth form was actually really enthusiastic when I told her I was going to the local Uni at the end of last term, so she is 100% on my side. I will tell them I really need this A to go to the Uni I want and I will stress how hard I will work (I will even go to extra revision classes if I have to! I want to go to this Uni really badly!). Thanks for the advice :smile:
You don't happen to have any photos of your History teacher having sex with a farmyard animal, do you?

No?

Then I would suggest talking to your apparently sympathetic head of 6th form, and using the beginning of term to blow your history teacher out of the water with your standard of work.

Spoiler

If your teacher really won't change your predicted grade, perhaps ask whoever is writing the reference to explain that this is due to school policy and you were only a few raw marks away from an A at AS. Presumably it is also your sixth form policy not to predict A* grades? Admissions tutors will look at this, and if they are comparing you to a candidate who only got BBB at AS, but is predicted AAA, you may still come off more favourably.

Wait for the result of your remark, and in the meantime show your teacher how dedicated you are to improving your grade.
Original post by TenOfThem
Do not forget that you have time

You do not need to apply until January - you have a full term to show your history teacher what you are capable of

Talk to her, the head of subject, and your head of sixth - but do so with a plan

It is not fair to expect your teacher to predict a grade higher than she thinks that you can get - it is your job to convince her that you can get the grade

Hey, if you want to apply to Cambridge, you need to send your application by October 15, not until January!
=), Oops, misread the first part, I though she said Cambridge :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
I'm in the same situation got a C need to be predicted an A.

I need to be predicted an A for uni, and I think cos I'm retaking a module I can get an A overall.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I wish my school would allow me to retake, but they will only allow a remark.
Thank you all for your great advice :smile:
Reply 12
Suck up to your teachers. Begging.

<3 x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending