male rape sentence vs female sexual assault sentence

Watch
This discussion is closed.
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
The legal definition of rape in britain means that it can only be commited by men. If a woman forces a man to have sex then it can only be sexual assault. This seems somewhat sexist to most people ... BUT does anyone know of any stats for the prison sentences of rapists vs those of females who sexually assault (rape) men ?

I think there will be hardly any cases for women 'raping' men, and a lot probably never get reported, but there must be some.

1) has anyone got any figures?

2) if the sentences are roughly the same, does that make the law less sexist in your opinion? Men and women are being treated equally for doing the same thing, it's just got a different name.

3) do you think a male and female rapist should get the same sentence ? why?

4) Do you think the punishment for women should be the same for using a strap-on anally vs having normal sex with the man? Normal sex could spread HIV and/or other diseases, and/or get the woman pregnant.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Actually rape is about penetration, which doesn't have to be done with a penis. It's just people tend to abuse people with the sex organ they get the stimulation from, so rape statistics gets slanted against men because of the penetration definition.
Iso
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Classical Liberal)
No, the trauma an adult woman experiences during and after non-consensual sex is more severe than the trauma experienced by an adult man.
Evidence please, secondly how could a blanket law be applied to something so subjective? Furthermore if the same deed has been done the same punishment should apply, as the punishment should deal with the actions of the accused.
Kiss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, the trauma an adult woman experiences during and after non-consensual sex is more severe than the trauma experienced by an adult man.
How the hell do you know that?
Classical Liberal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
How the hell do you know that?
Read a paper about rape and female defense mechanisms against it. It said that women experience a great deal of psychological trauma after being raped to keep them from being raped again. They experience a great deal of psychological pain when presented with things that they associate with being raped, such as places, events and people. This is the minds defense mechanism to prevent being raped again. This is why you hear women saying things are "triggering".

Men on the other hand do not have the same psychological adaptations to rape. Men cannot be impregnated so in terms of genetics there is no adverse consequence of being raped. Whilst women are at risk of carrying a rape baby.

That is not to say men do not experience horrific trauma after rape, however it is different and less severe than what women experience. Men and women have different mindsets when it comes to sex and rape is no different.
Kiss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Read a paper about rape and female defense mechanisms against it. It said that women experience a great deal of psychological trauma after being raped to keep them from being raped again. They experience a great deal of psychological pain when presented with things that they associate with being raped, such as places, events and people. This is the minds defense mechanism to prevent being raped again. This is why you hear women saying things are "triggering".

Men on the other hand do not have the same psychological adaptations to rape. Men cannot be impregnated so in terms of genetics there is no adverse consequence of being raped. Whilst women are at risk of carrying a rape baby.

That is not to say men do not experience horrific trauma after rape, however it is different and less severe than what women experience. Men and women have different mindsets when it comes to sex and rape is no different.
So you're basing the generalised comparison of a traumatic experience which can affect both sexes equally as bad as the other on some paper which doesn't even begin to account for individual cases?
Id and Ego seek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
So you're basing the generalised comparison of a traumatic experience which can affect both sexes equally as bad as the other on some paper which doesn't even begin to account for individual cases?
Welcome to Psychology 101: Content Analysis

I want to know how 'adult', 'severe' and 'trauma' (and to an extent 'different' and 'less severe') are operationalised, but I think that's the next lesson.
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

You are forgetting that if a man is sexually assaulted then He has a lot less people to talk to, the help to male victims is behind the help fro females and that males are more likely to hide behind their feelings so they appear strong and masculine-sexual assault is an extremely traumatic experience because men are expected not to be able to be raped because they are stronger than women on average and are supposed to love sex etc and its generally laughed at where for a women to be raped it is seen as much more socially acceptable-that is probably more trauma than an abortion in my opinion.

OP to answer your question the maximum for sexual assault is 10 years in prison and fro rape it is life imprisonment.Source:http://www.counselling-directory.org...dvice9907.html .That article also includes lots of information about both sexual assault and rape.
shamika
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you kidding me?

Your claim makes no sense whatsoever. Because what, a man doesn't have emotions, and some pseudo- academic paper is claiming that trauma is defined by specific instances of how people cope with the awful events afterwards?

If you're intelligent enough to browse papers on the subject, I'm sure you're intelligent enough to critically assess what you're reading. It's not exactly a light read.

Spoiler:
Show
The mathmo / logician in me wants to point out that in order for your claim to be true, it would have to be the case that the least amount of trauma experienced by any woman is less than the most amount of trauma experienced by any given man. Although I don't propose we ever go about testing this experimentally :-/
Classical Liberal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
You can't account for all individual cases.

And yes, I am basing my comparison on a scientific paper about rape. That is a more than reasonable source.
anonymouspie227
Badges: 20
Report 7 years ago
IF a baby boy and a baby girl get raped, then the person who did it should get the same sentence. To say that the boy would suffer less trauma is unfair. How can you? They're both being violated. They're both defenceless.
I also think the same should happen if they are older. If you force someone to have sex with you it's not right. And we don't know how each person will react to being violated.
User1214833
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sometimes it is wise to keep quiet - especially if you don't have a clue what you're talking about. What you've said is deeply offensive.
Architecture-er
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can't account for all individual cases.

And yes, I am basing my comparison on a scientific paper about rape. That is a more than reasonable source.
[prefix to other people on this thread: Yes this is a multi-faceted issue, but in the interests of discussion I think it's best if we all stop arm-flapping and actually debate this, as it's got a lot of interesting aspects in terms of what constitutes innocence, the allegorical circumstances of entering someone, etc etc]

I'd agree, i think a female-raping-man situation is far less traumatising IF it's non-penetrative. I think its the act of being 'entered' which psychologically damages the victim, as its an invasion without permission. Even if a woman forcefully rapes a man, the man still feels a degree of control because he's going into the woman, he's conquering her.

I'd imagine that if a woman raped a man with a strap-on though, that it would trigger the same impulses of fear and shame that a man-rapes-man or a man-rapes-woman situation would create, purely because on a primal level the man is the object into which the woman enters, even if the woman doesn't technically gain any physical stimulus from it (though may gain emotional gratification).
Architecture-er
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by qwertyking)
Sometimes it is wise to keep quiet - especially if you don't have a clue what you're talking about. What you've said is deeply offensive.
Only if someone is offended :holmes:

This is a forum for intellectual debate, pushing the boundaries of what's seen as conventional is the whole point
Bunicornaces
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There definitely is a double standard in relation to male rape, not just in society but in the legal system; and this is not exclusive to the UK, it happens in most Countries around the world. Women will usually get off much more easily than men will for the crime of rape/sexual assault (if it actually gets reported). There is a misconception that male victims do not have as much of an adverse effects as female rape victims...which I personally believe is not true(and i'm a female). There is a general double standard in the way female sex offenders are treated, compared to male sex offenders. You can have an adult female who sleeps with an underage boy and gets a couple of years in prison and when the scripts are flipped and you have an adult male doing the same thing to a female, he is likely to get close to a decade or even more in prison (America is a very good example of this).
bottled
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
even if the sentences were the same, it'll still be sexist
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago

But they can get HIV (as can women), which is more likely to be passed on than a woman getting pregnant.

(Original post by Dalek1099)
OP to answer your question the maximum for sexual assault is 10 years in prison and fro rape it is life imprisonment.Source:http://www.counselling-directory.org...dvice9907.html .That article also includes lots of information about both sexual assault and rape.
Thanks

(Original post by anonymouspie227)
IF a baby boy and a baby girl get raped, then the person who did it should get the same sentence. To say that the boy would suffer less trauma is unfair. How can you? They're both being violated. They're both defenceless.
I also think the same should happen if they are older. If you force someone to have sex with you it's not right. And we don't know how each person will react to being violated.
Fair enough. Do you think it matters if the woman uses a strap-on for anal or if she has normal sex with the man?

(Original post by bottled)
even if the sentences were the same, it'll still be sexist
Why? men and women are being treated equally, by being given the same punishment ...
ColdColourStitch
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
Actually rape is about penetration, which doesn't have to be done with a penis. It's just people tend to abuse people with the sex organ they get the stimulation from, so rape statistics gets slanted against men because of the penetration definition.
That is incorrect as shown by s1 Sexual Offences Act 2003. It requires a penis; without penetration of the mouth/anus/vagina by someone's penis it is not rape in the UK. It may be different in countries such as Germany and Sweden, but I'm always advocating we change the law towards their definition.

The most serious sexual offences a woman can be charged with is 'Assault by Penetration per s2 SOA 2003 if she were to finger the man's anus or use some other form of object; it would also fall under the category of sexual assault potentially. It carries a life sentence just like rape, but it doesn't carry the social stigma or connotations which being branded a rapist in court does. It would be better if we just merged s1 and s2 together into a broader, more catch-all definition of rape.

Bottom line - women cannot rape in England and Wales. They can be an aider or abettor to a rape, but not the sole or main perpetrator of it.
bottled
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nic-nac)

Why? men and women are being treated equally, by being given the same punishment ...
being told that one sort of rape is rape, and the other sort of rape is sexual assault because you're raped by a woman, is sexist
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well. Male vs Female sentence for ANY crime is not exactly balanced now is it?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (322)
56%
I don't have everything I need (253)
44%

Watched Threads