The Student Room Group

Sandwich year for Bsc Psychology?

Hi,

Have been talking to people recently who would recommend a sandwich course/placement year, do I started looking into this and found that many of myt unis I was going to look at do not do this but I appreciate the benefits of having experience in such a competitive field (interested in clinical psychology, but open to change).

Is it worth limiting my choices to gain the experience?

I would really appreciate some advice on this as I'm going to visit prospective unis soon and obviously need to have a firm idea about the course.

Many thanks for reading :smile:
Listener15
Reply 1
I'm starting my psychology course this month and I decided to apply for those with a placement year mostly. I'm going to Cardiff where you can decide to switch to a straight psychology course if you decide against the placement at some point during you first years, but I think it's really great that you can get experience, learn to work independently and most importantly get to know the specifics of the profession which might be extremely helpful when choosing you career path. However, when you apply to a uni that doesn't offer a placement, you can still find summer placements and you will still get help with getting experience, so it's not a bad idea either. You should research into it more and decide whether you want to get your degree a year later. It also depends if you're applying to top unis or the average ones I guess.
:wink:
Reply 2
Original post by maereth
I'm starting my psychology course this month and I decided to apply for those with a placement year mostly. I'm going to Cardiff where you can decide to switch to a straight psychology course if you decide against the placement at some point during you first years, but I think it's really great that you can get experience, learn to work independently and most importantly get to know the specifics of the profession which might be extremely helpful when choosing you career path. However, when you apply to a uni that doesn't offer a placement, you can still find summer placements and you will still get help with getting experience, so it's not a bad idea either. You should research into it more and decide whether you want to get your degree a year later. It also depends if you're applying to top unis or the average ones I guess.
:wink:

Hi maereth,
Thanks for replying,
I hope it goes well for you and wouldn't mind posting or messaging about your experience because I'd be incredibly interested to know!
It's good that I can still get placements in the summer if I cannot/don't get into unis that offer the sandwich year, I don't mind getting the degree later as I think I want to go into clinical psychology and the sandwich year is very important for that but will have to wait and see about offers and everything...
In relation to top unis I'm not going for anything in the Russell group as far as I'm aware

I'm looking at:
Leicester,
Loughborough
Aston,
(Looked at already) UEA
Canterbury Christ Church
Lincoln

I assume these are all more 'normal' unis but they've got quite a spread of grade requirements and are not the highest in the league tables necessarily, although I am looking to visit all of them to get a better idea.
My highest grade requirement is Leicester's AAB and lowest Canterbury Christ Church 280 UCAS including BCC (which is the same).
Aston and Loughborough offer the 4 year courses are both AAB to ABB.

Many thanks,
Listener15 :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest