The Student Room Group

gluten free cakes and bhajis etc

Someone I'm going to be living with soon if a coeliac so can't eat gluten.

The only recipes I've seen for gluten free cakes are flourless chocolate cakes. Are there any other recipes that allow flourless cake to be a different flavour? or do you have to use spelt/rice flour etc for that? Are these much more expensive than normal flour?

What about onion bhajis, can rice/spelt flour be used in these? I think many recipes say to use chickpea flour, although I'm not sure how easy that is to get hold of, so is rice/spelt flour a good option????

Can anyone recommend such recipes? There's loads on google, but I like to know someones actually tried them.
Original post by nic-nac
Someone I'm going to be living with soon if a coeliac so can't eat gluten.

The only recipes I've seen for gluten free cakes are flourless chocolate cakes. Are there any other recipes that allow flourless cake to be a different flavour? or do you have to use spelt/rice flour etc for that? Are these much more expensive than normal flour?

What about onion bhajis, can rice/spelt flour be used in these? I think many recipes say to use chickpea flour, although I'm not sure how easy that is to get hold of, so is rice/spelt flour a good option????

Can anyone recommend such recipes? There's loads on google, but I like to know someones actually tried them.

Hello, I'm gluten intolerant :smile: Best thing I advise you to do is search dovesfarm.co.uk . They sell the flour you can buy in supermarkets that's gluten free. Go on the recipe side of their website, and it's got lots of recipes that use their flour, so you're not bothering with a ton of different types of flours and xanthan gum and stuff . It's what I use anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by insignificant
Hello, I'm gluten intolerant :smile: Best thing I advise you to do is search dovesfarm.co.uk . They sell the flour you can buy in supermarkets that's gluten free. Go on the recipe side of their website, and it's got lots of recipes that use their flour, so you're not bothering with a ton of different types of flours and xanthan gum and stuff . It's what I use anyway.

Hi :smile: Thanks.

Apparently oxo stock cubes have glutten, but kallo don't. I've never bought kallo before, are they the same price and jsut as easy to get hold of? If they and the flour are then when we are shopping we'll just get that. Although I have a feeling some gluten free stuff like bread a pasta is more expensive so we will buy them separately.
Reply 3
Chickpea flour is available in most shops! I'm pretty sure I've seen it in Tesco. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Levingne
Chickpea flour is available in most shops! I'm pretty sure I've seen it in Tesco. :smile:

Can you use it in cakes aswell as savoury things though? Or would you recommend spelt/rice flour for cakes/brownies ?
Reply 5
Original post by nic-nac
Can you use it in cakes aswell as savoury things though? Or would you recommend spelt/rice flour for cakes/brownies ?

Personally I haven't tried it! but chickpea flour is usually used in savoury products, I guess it won't do any harm in trying but I would just stick to spelt or rice flour for sweet dishes :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Levingne
Personally I haven't tried it! but chickpea flour is usually used in savoury products, I guess it won't do any harm in trying but I would just stick to spelt or rice flour for sweet dishes :smile:

Thanks. I dont think i've ever baked a gluten free cake so don't know how well the different flours turn out. I love baking and if the only hassle is using a different kind of flour then it seems mean to use normal flour ... although it would mean more cake for the rest of us :drool:
Reply 7
Original post by nic-nac
Thanks. I dont think i've ever baked a gluten free cake so don't know how well the different flours turn out. I love baking and if the only hassle is using a different kind of flour then it seems mean to use normal flour ... although it would mean more cake for the rest of us :drool:

I've tried onion bhajis with chickpea flour and they tasted so goood :coma: I don't really think they taste that different but it's worth a shot! think of all the extra cake. :wink:
For cakes you can substitute the flour in a standard vanilla (or flavoured like lemon, or coffee) recipe for a gluten-free substitute, like Doves Farm, which is a little more expensive than standard flour, but not too much. If you want to use baking powder, make sure that's gluten free too, though most are these days. And I'd also recommend adding about 1 tsp of xantham gum to the cake mix which helps binds it all together better, and creates a texture that's nearly indistinguishable from regular cake! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by insignificant

I've just looked up recipes for gluten free pastry, where you just substitute the floor for rice flour. Have you tried such a thing? I was about to ask a probably silly question - does it taste like normaly pastry ! Although you might have eaten normal pastry before? And anyone else can reply to this who isn't a coeliac but has tried both ...

Quick Reply

Latest