The Student Room Group

UMS - resit ?

Hi, I got 220/300 UMS in AS Biology which is a B,

F211 - 72/90 - A
F212 - 114/150 - B
Coursework- 34/60 - D

I was 20 UMS from an A, how hard would this be too achieve by trying to do better at A2? and how many marks in an exam would 20 UMS be? ( I have no idea how it works ) and does anyone know if you can resit coursework?

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by jacksonmeg
Hi, I got 220/300 UMS in AS Biology which is a B,

F211 - 72/90 - A
F212 - 114/150 - B
Coursework- 34/60 - D

I was 20 UMS from an A, how hard would this be too achieve by trying to do better at A2? and how many marks in an exam would 20 UMS be? ( I have no idea how it works ) and does anyone know if you can resit coursework?

You can resit coursework, but you need to get your schools permission (As they need to work around you with your timetabling) and you may have a much limited choice concerning your report (As you cant do the coursework on the same topic)

Personally i would retake the coursework and perhaps Unit 2 because theres a lot more marks available to earn back. (Also with no Jan exams, stick retaking to a minimum). However if you were truly crap at Unit 2, then go unit 1 if you must. (Though from what i hear, retaking AS sciences in A2 generally leads to more UMS due to more content/exam technique)
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
You can resit coursework, but you need to get your schools permission (As they need to work around you with your timetabling) and you may have a much limited choice concerning your report (As you cant do the coursework on the same topic)

Personally i would retake the coursework and perhaps Unit 2 because theres a lot more marks available to earn back. (Also with no Jan exams, stick retaking to a minimum). However if you were truly crap at Unit 2, then go unit 1 if you must. (Though from what i hear, retaking AS sciences in A2 generally leads to more UMS due to more content/exam technique)

I was actually more confident about the unit 2 exam, but it's a lot more content, and the first question was on something I didn't even know was in the syllabus, I think I could get 10-15 more UMS on unit 2, as some content overlaps with A2
Reply 3
Ill ask about coursework resits when term starts, I was told i got 80%, any idea why its been marked down so much?
Reply 4
Original post by jacksonmeg
Ill ask about coursework resits when term starts, I was told i got 80%, any idea why its been marked down so much?

It all depends really. The first Unit exams tend to be easier, but then again do whatever you'll feel confident in (I would pick the one with any overlapping topics covering in a2)

Coursework tends to be marked down either due to teachers lenient/incorrect marking or 'harsh' examiners/moderators.
I'm not sure how it works, but the teacher gives everybody marks for their cwork, before sending a sample to the exam board. If they felt the sample is inaccurately marked, they may push up/push down the entire groups work (That or they take everybodies).

I imagine theres a few AO's to cover in the coursework, so interpretation of how well they have been covered may have been a big factor. I suggest asking your teacher the first thing you come back about it, chances are if yours has been shot down others will have been too.

Quick Reply

Latest